Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aga-T+ positive post hot spot/popping.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

Maybe if I just buy a nut he'll charge me less, I'll send him an email so.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Bubba9 wrote: »
    If you're wick is properly oxidised the main reason for top coil hotspots on the AGA's is the distance between coil and centre post. Bending the coil can help but another solution would be to get a pair of small ss washers, place between the nuts on the centre posts and wrap you're wire between them. This effectively shortens the distance between centre post and coil and should help cure the problem.
    I saw a post somewhere else (reddit I think), someone got a washer from an old vivi nova that fits perfectly.

edit: post here, pictures here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Mr. Chrome

rickyjb wrote: »
    Maybe if I just buy a nut he'll charge me less, I'll send him an email so.
    Balls, just checked his site and it looks like he has changed his shipping prices, email him anyhow, he might sort you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

lol I get 22 alright
    Note the edge of the wick is pulling away right at the start of your hotspot as circled
    It's possible this is your problem.

Are you folding that edge over on itself, before rolling the wick?
    How much wick material are you using? it looks very dense.

picture.php?albumid=2284&pictureid=14563

Aye, been using that wick all the way through, and taking into account all of my experience (8 failed coils!!!11!!) and everything ppl here have said, it has to be be problem. I will try another wick tomorrow with your guide there and hopefully it should sort it out.
    stevenmu wrote: »
    I saw a post somewhere else (reddit I think), someone got a washer from an old vivi nova that fits perfectly.

edit: post here, pictures here

Sweet to the beat, I have one of those somewhere here, yea, the vivi nova one seems to have a shaft either side, but the *mini* vivi nova is flat on one edge, that might be just the ticket also.

I will use all of this new boards.ie Vaping & E-Smoking forum knowledge in my attempts tomorrow evening and update with progress.

Thanks everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭mrplop

I've been having a terrible time trying to set up an SS mesh on the AGA.
    It probably hasn't helped that I'm using .15 Kanthal as it pops a lot easier than .20 or .25.

Just tried the Vivi washer with the larger screw from my original ATA - it worked perfectly the first time - thanks!

• Advertisement

Mr. Chrome wrote: »
    Balls, just checked his site and it looks like he has changed his shipping prices, email him anyhow, he might sort you out.

He quoted me 3 pounds delivered, I'm undecided. It's such a small nut!

Besides keeping the central grommet (sp?) down is there any other use for the third nut, would you use it if you were building dual coils or anything like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Besides keeping the central grommet (sp?) down is there any other use for the third nut, would you use it if you were building dual coils or anything like that?

Grommet spelling - correct.

There is no other use for that nut. With a dual-coil you wrap the top coil legs around the same area of the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭heliguyheliguy

There is an easy solution, buy lots of stuff :D that way the shipping charge won't seem so much ;)

There is an easy solution, buy lots of stuff :D that way the shipping charge won't seem so much ;)

Yeah that's working out great for me so far:pac:

That was my first thought actually but there's nothing on the site I really want, just bought a couple of drip tips and atomisers so I'm good for that kind of stuff.

Lucutus wrote: »
    I will use all of this new boards.ie Vaping & E-Smoking forum knowledge in my attempts tomorrow evening and update with progress.

Thanks everyone.

From about 24mins in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Y-SafjWy5K8#!

• Advertisement

lol, aye, I watched that very one last night. The spring on that does indeed look useful!

lol, aye, I watched that very one last night. The spring on that does indeed look useful!

It was the poking, i was pointing out :)

Oh yes, I have my poking technique down. Expert levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jamie72

I'm getting my first rebuildable tomorrow (AGA-S) and this thread is putting the **** up me.

Not at all, this should be your "go to" thread for genesis wick and coil making because, at this stage, all the info you could need is here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭superneat

Watch a few of Todd's videos on rebuildables, he doesn't go into the finer details all that much, but you'll see many coils made from scratch. You will get an understanding of how it should come together.

http://www.youtube.com/user/toddecigreviews?feature=watch

It's not that difficult but it has made grown men cry!

"If at first.. keep trying.." and all that jazz.. :D

Not at all, this should be your "go to" thread for genesis wick and coil making because, at this stage, all the info you could need is here :)

I've yet to go back to it but I think if I'd watched and read all that's in this thread before I'd started I would've gotten on much better. 2 things I definitely didn't do properly were oxidising the wick and using the proper tension i.e. not pulling it too tightly. Also folding over a small bit before rolling the wick. I'm now semi-motivated to give it another go. Just maybe not tonight:)

Well, it took an hour, 20 mins prepping the wick, 10 mins wrapping the coil, and 30 mins trying to touch it and fix it up, but I got there...

oVILMWt.png

bit more power:

aNxWwD4.png

filled the tank and the vape was amazing for 10 drags...

... then *bam* top coil hot spot!

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭illicit007

*hands Lucutus a pistol with one bullet in the chamber*

That wick is miles away from the positive post! Pull it in until it actually touches the post, the shorter the distance between them will vastly reduce the chances of a hotspot.

You're nearly there fella! :cool:

When you're doing the coil, leave about an inch of slack at each end and don't snip it until you're absolutely sure it's set up right!

• Advertisement

Another three attempts and fails.

tried touching the wick to the washer on the post superneat, no joy.

Tried the drill bit method, coil worked fine before I dropped the wick in... *shakes head*

Will try another wick tomorrow, going to use the SS mesh that came with it this time.

If that doesn't work, it'll be the kanthal ribbon wire's job to save the day.

edit: pretty sure the fold on the outside of the wick was at fault, seems to be a drop/gap at the seam.

See the way you have the top coil wrapped around the left side of the nut, try bringing it round the right side.
    It may be more difficult to catch because the washer will try to "spit" the coil out as you tighten it.
    This will shorten the gap a tiny bit and also it will be touching more of the wick.

Can someone point me to a review of someone rebuilding the AGA-S with a silica wick? EVERY youtube video I find just shows how to do it with SS mesh.

jamie72 wrote: »
    Can someone point me to a review of someone rebuilding the AGA-S with a silica wick? EVERY youtube video I find just shows how to do it with SS mesh.

Think it's an AGA-W, but it's precisely the same principle.

grindle wrote: »

Think it's an AGA-W, but it's precisely the same principle.

I watched that video, but he says right when he starts to build it that it's not the way to normally build a silica wick. What the hell is the normal way then!

I watched that video, but he says right when he starts to build it that it's not the way to normally build a silica wick. What the hell is the normal way then!

See the post? Stick one leg in there and screw, and wrap the other leg around the positive post.
    Wet the ends of your wick and get them in the wick-holes.

Am I scaring you off the SS wicks? :D

Not at all. I just have no SS and my silica is coming with the AGA. I've also read that silica gives better flavour which is what I am after for my sweet vapes.

good, though I'm scaring myself off them tbh

• Advertisement

Read that horrible thread on the dangers of silica wick again, might give SS a go. I know links have been posted a few times, but I didn't pass any remarks at the time.

Where's the quickest place to get mesh and resistance wire from?

Advertisement