Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aga-T+ positive post hot spot/popping.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Probably TBS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

I posted this before on another AGA thread, it might help

This is what pretty much works for me all the time now. I don't even bother with the burning juice three times anymore, just use the torch for 3-4 minutes, part of this is torching the mesh before i roll it, to get rid of any frayed bits at the edges. Then I build the coil using drillbit, wrap it pretty tight, so it holds the shape after (tight enough that I have to gently twist out the drillbit). Then redden it a few times. I make the wick so it slides into the coil, barely touching it, but not moving around.

IMHO, the key with mesh wicks is to make sure they are kept wet ALL the time, especially with a fresh wick. For me that means vaping it horizontal every thirdish drag. Maybe it's me, but i've never built a wick that could wick vertically, at least not enough to stop the coils glowing after a few drags. Nothing worse than a lungfull of burned juice :eek:
    If the mesh is oxidised properly, the distance between the center post and the wick is not an issue.
    Was reading up on genny wicks on ecf today. Some good stuff in there, one thing I took out of it (digby has mentioned it earlier, but it didn't click with me) was about the amount of heat to use when oxidizing the mesh. I was always aiming for the thing to be black when I finished, apparently if you end up with that, you've overdone it by a good amount. The result of that is the oxidized layer gets very brittle, and falls away easily when coiling.

All you do is apply the torch evenly till it glows a deep red, not bright yellow. Then first the mesh will go a blueish colour, then brown. Brown is what you want. Once you don't burn it till its glowing like the sun it pretty much stays brown. Then do the 3 or so juice burns to lay down some carbon. That's it for the wick...

The other thing mentioned on the thread that I was guilty of was excessive dry burning after I put the coil on, apparently the glowing coils will eventually burn through the oxidized layer to the steel beneath leading to shorts....

I setup one this evening using the tips above along with the drill it method ( sorry hornet ) and it worked pretty well....

The thread is definitely worth a read....

Linkage

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭superneat

Gryzor wrote: »
    Maybe it's me, but i've never built a wick that could wick vertically, at least not enough to stop the coils glowing after a few drags.

Have you used #500 SS mesh? I'm using it now and the only time I need to raise the butt any amount is when only a couple of mls of the wick are submerged in the juice, and it's basically empty then anyway.

Also do you wrap your coil tight or do you make it with a center hole?

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭heliguyheliguy

Gryzor wrote: »
    If the mesh is oxidised properly, the distance between the center post and the wick is not an issue.

Hear, hear

superneat wrote: »
    Have you used #500 SS mesh? I'm using it now and the only time I need to raise the butt any amount is when only a couple of mls of the wick are submerged in the juice, and it's basically empty then anyway.

Also do you wrap your coil tight or do you make it with a center hole?

Never used #500, might give it a go....there's a center hole, ~.5mm...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jamie72

After trying my AGA-S for the first time. Ready to throw it out or sell it here for a tenner. Do you guys find the mesh much of an improvement? Might give that a go first?
    Quick edit: Is the 500 definitely the best?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

jamie72 wrote: »
    After trying my AGA-S for the first time. Ready to throw it out or sell it here for a tenner. Do you guys find the mesh much of an improvement? Might give that a go first?
    I'll relieve the stress off your hands for a tenner.

It won't help with oxidising\hot spot issues, just might wick a bit better if that's your issue??

The #500 wicks the fastest for sure. I'd also take the aga for a tenner if pmcmahan didn't really want it :p

Why no love for it anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

I've ordered a ****load of NR wire if you want some. Should be here in a few days.

• Advertisement

I'm just not finding any advantages to it compared to my T2s, just downfalls. Vapour production is far superior on the T2 with a low ohm head and I actually did a good job on the aga coil. It's also a pain in the arse to fill as you have to use needles. I also don't see the ten minutes+ of messing about to build a new coil worth it compared to €2 for a T2 coil. You can't tell when the tank is running dry. It's heavy as feck.

Just to add, I didn't realise I'd need a mouth piece for the aga, and pmcmahon had sent me one for no reason, which saved me. So if I try mesh and it doesn't work out, pmcmahon can have the aga for a tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

got it working on my last try of a 3 hour session at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

Lucutus wrote: »
    got it working on my last try of a 3 hour session at it.

So there's light at the end of the tunnel. What made it work do you think?

rickyjb wrote: »
    So there's light at the end of the tunnel. What made it work do you think?

Reckon it was a mixture of luck and dogged stubbornness.

I used the mesh that came with the AGA-T+, first one didn't work, think I over-oxidised it. Second one I was a lot more careful with, let it go blue, then stopped just after it stopped being blue basically. rolled the wick, did a juice burn, still wasn't working... took it out and gave it another blast of the torch, tried it again, adjusted coils (for ages) and it eventually worked.

Got a couple of hours vaping out of it, though the to coil has gunked up a bit and kinda bubbles before showing a hot spot, ever so slight burnt taste.

There *has* to be an easier way...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

Use a Twisted Kanthal for the entire wick or just the top coil - if you do it for the entire length you need to add about 2 more coils.

.. been working like a champ on my DID because you are lowering the resistance all round you are less prone to hotspots, and if you do get one its not going to pop through as the wire is double the width.

Tried that before and it didn't work out, bit more experienced at it now, might go again. Not a lot of space on the wick in an Aga-T for 6 wraps though!

Tried that before and it didn't work out, bit more experienced at it now, might go again. Not a lot of space on the wick in an Aga-T for 6 wraps though!

Wha!... there's way more space on the Aga-T than the Mini DID isn't there? ... I do it I twist until it the wire snaps where its being held with a vicegrips, I had 8 wraps originally I'm down to 6 now which seems perfect.

Also I'm wrapping the coil on the wick before inserting it and screwing in place- dunno if that will make a difference.

Interesting, I noticed the twisted wire was 'springy' alright, making it difficult to wrap into a coil properly, I'll try that, ta.

Congrats on getting it working anyway!
    Do you find it a very harsh vape with the SS? I thought it was rotten at first, but after about a day of use the coil and mesh were "broken in", and the vape was amazing!
    It still chokes me up sometimes with the amount of throathit and nicotine hit I get off of it :o.

• Advertisement

Interesting, I noticed the twisted wire was 'springy' alright, making it difficult to wrap into a coil properly, I'll try that, ta.

It'll stay pretty springy but as you pull the bottom and top to the terminals it'll tighten up nicely around the wick at the correct angles. You could also torch the coil and let it cool if you want to lose the springyness although I find the springiness actually helps in getting a nice tight coil/wick.

superneat wrote: »
    Congrats on getting it working anyway!
    Do you find it a very harsh vape with the SS? I thought it was rotten at first, but after about a day of use the coil and mesh were "broken in", and the vape was amazing!
    It still chokes me up sometimes with the amount of throathit and nicotine hit I get off of it :o.

Ta, I had two vaping sessions with it before the top coil hot spot literally burned through the mesh. First was good, found the same as you, kindaof metallic taste, burned as it went on... readjusted and the second session, I changed juices to wingnuts bounty huinter, really brought out the flavour of the juice, the throat/nic hit was great.

Only very slightly better that the eBaron Dripper, but what I'm looking for is that quality of vape with a tank.

If I can get good enough at this to have that and the reliability of the dripper, I'll be set.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭illicit007

What about a Killer with a tank? I'm hoping that's the answer as for me seems the easiest solution. You can make your own coils or swap out for a remade bought replacement coil if you're busy.

Yea, keeping my eye on the killer, bit late, isn't it? I would like to see some varied reviews etc before taking the plunge, there's bound to be a recommended tank for it after a while too.

I've been rebuilding the coils for the dripper alright, a batch at a time, sometimes when I do 5 of them, none work right, the last batch I did was fine, I think you get a knack for it.

Yea, keeping my eye on the killer, bit late, isn't it?

What a tragic understatement.

lol, you must have a pre-order in?

lol, you must have a pre-order in?

Yeahrrrrr. One month and four days ago. Should've had it for the last two weeks at least by this stage.
    Morose.

I'll be reporting on flat kanthal after the weekend - cant wait to see what that amount of coverage gets on a genesis.!

was.deevey wrote: »
    I'll be reporting on flat kanthal after the weekend - cant wait to see what that amount of coverage gets on a genesis.!
    I'll look forward to your take on it. Ordered some myself too :)

• Advertisement

was.deevey wrote: »

Hey was, did you end up getting it and using it?
    I got mine this morning and I have to say it's the easiest thing to work with! I used the drillbit method for the laugh, hadn't tried it yet. Pure simples.

With 5 wraps of .7mm x .07mm, I got 1.4Ω which is what I aim for usually.

IMG_0455%255B1%255D.JPG

The vapor production is miles better than the regular stuff, gonna rebuild my other genny and the igo-l later on to see how they compare.

Happy days! :D

Advertisement