Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fiat Ducato 2.8jtd 2005 HELP please

Options
  • 10-02-2013 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hiya from a newbie to this forum. I'm hoping all you knowledgeable folk maybe able to help me.

Every time I go over a bump in the road the anti skid, ABS and handbrake lights all light up then all extinguish 2 seconds later. I took the motorhome to CamperUK in Lincoln and even they could not find the problem. They read the fault codes and thought they had solved the problem to a loose wire on a relay, fixed the wire and the fault codes dissapeared but as soon as I drove out the lights were the same. I went back in to tell them and they read the fault codes again but there was no fault codes registered.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

9 times out of 10 abs faults are a wheel sensor or wiring. Its common for wires to crack off internally on those bosch 5.3 units its a problem across all marques with that generation pump - saab, vw, bmw, landrover etc.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqtowdSDbxU

• Registered Users Posts: 5 dpsuk999

Hiya, thanks for your reply, would this cause an intermittent flash of the lights? If a wire is broken then would the lights be on all the time?

Just seems strange that all three lights come on, ABS, Anti Skid and Handbrake.

dpsuk999 wrote: »
    Hiya, thanks for your reply, would this cause an intermittent flash of the lights? If a wire is broken then would the lights be on all the time?

Just seems strange that all three lights come on, ABS, Anti Skid and Handbrake.

ABS and anti-skid are the same unit, a lot of vehicles put on all the brake related lights abs, esr, esp, edl etc. for a brake fault often accompanied by warning sounds as any braking fault is not to be ignored. If its intermittant with a bump theres a good chance you'll find it easily by shaking the wiring, wiggling the abs connector etc.

paddyp wrote: »

ABS and anti-skid are the same unit, a lot of vehicles put on all the brake related lights abs, esr, esp, edl etc. for a brake fault often accompanied by warning sounds as any braking fault is not to be ignored. If its intermittant with a bump theres a good chance you'll find it easily by shaking the wiring, wiggling the abs connector etc.

Thanks, makes sense. Any idea where I will find the abs connector or module? It's a Burstner Elegance 690 based in the Fiat Ducato 2.8jtd.

Thanks

Thanks, makes sense. Any idea where I will find the abs connector or module? It's a Burstner Elegance 690 based in the Fiat Ducato 2.8jtd.

Thanks

Front left behind the bumper. ABS, ASR and EBD all require 4 functioning wheel sensors so if you lose a wheels sensor momentarily it would be a fault for all functions. I would expect it to log a code though which is why I mention the internal wires cracking as you could lose power internally preventing a fault being logged. But sometimes these intermittant errors are too short a duration to be logged,

Have you had work done recently wheel bearing, shocks, etc its very easy to drop the hub carrier with abs cable attached. If you've had any work done like that then thats the corner to start with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

i may be miles off here....but have you checked your break fluid level ?

No, had no work done recently, bought it a year ago, but the flashing of the lights only started after about 4 months. I know it had new front discs fitted prior to me buying it.

Would I be better buying a code reader to see if any codes are now stored? Although when CamperUK cleared the fault codes and fixed the loose wire on a relay and thought they had sorted it, as soon as I took it out, they appeared again so when they re did the scan it showed noting.

Can you recommend a good code reader? Are the sensors easy to locate and test?

Thanks for your replies

i may be miles off here....but have you checked your break fluid level ?

Yes, that was the first thing I checked as I'd heard that could cause it :)

No, had no work done recently, bought it a year ago, but the flashing of the lights only started after about 4 months. I know it had new front discs fitted prior to me buying it.

Would I be better buying a code reader to see if any codes are now stored? Although when CamperUK cleared the fault codes and fixed the loose wire on a relay and thought they had sorted it, as soon as I took it out, they appeared again so when they re did the scan it showed noting.

Can you recommend a good code reader? Are the sensors easy to locate and test?

Thanks for your replies

The cheapest thing for your ducato is a laptop with free version of multiecuscan or alfaobd. You can get cables as cheap as £5 if your handy and don't mind resoldering a wire to access the abs unit.

The free version of multiecuscan supports the normal abs unit it looks like you'd need the paid version for the asr, not sure if that means that you can't read the abs faults but free alfaobd will probably work. Full version of alfaobd is $45 full version of multiecuscan is €50 so not too steep anyway.

If you're not handy I'd recommend an elm cable with adapter cables:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MULTIECUSCAN-FIATECUSCAN-Fiat-Alfa-ELM-327-v1-4-ODB2-Green-Red-Yellow-cables-/281056470564?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item4170456624&_uhb=1

Elm cable works with lots of software for other cars too.

More expensive but dealer level is lexia you scan the ducato as peugeot boxer / citroen relay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50-sold-Lexia-3-Diagbox-6-01-Citroen-Peugeot-Diagnostic-Interface-30-pin-cable-/221183159260?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item337f8b2bdc&_uhb=1

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mgtony

Hello first time, needing help. Ducato 2003 2.8 motorhome, abs light h/b light on permanent, fiat dealers x 2 could not read the abs quoted £1400 to buy a new one. I sent the ecu module to have it repaired, first answer no reading had been spiked. Second repairer, not spiked but needs new main board, they cant fined one. I have tried to price a new one from bosch. noboby can seem to identlify the part no 0273 004 695. Motorhome off road as no mot. please help

• Advertisement

mgtony wrote: »
    Hello first time, needing help. Ducato 2003 2.8 motorhome, abs light h/b light on permanent, fiat dealers x 2 could not read the abs quoted £1400 to buy a new one. I sent the ecu module to have it repaired, first answer no reading had been spiked. Second repairer, not spiked but needs new main board, they cant fined one. I have tried to price a new one from bosch. noboby can seem to identlify the part no 0273 004 695. Motorhome off road as no mot. please help

I would say thats the one just enquire, probably find a complete unit cheaper though:
    https://ecu.co.uk/fiat/abs-ecu/bosch-abs-asr-5.3/fiat-51726121-bosch-0273004957-0265220694-102199.html

Actally better still and reputable company:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BOSCH-ESP-ABS-PUMP-CONTROLLER-MODULE-ECU-0273004695-/400291254818

Get it delivered with parcelmotel.com

Thank you for your help. The part no 0273004695 I know is correct, bosch have stopped making it, have no stock, I am interested to see if I can use another from a different vehicle, I cant scrap a £20k motorhome because this part is not obtainable. I am trying to find an alternative part, or install a complete abs system. Thursday I am going to collect my old control module from the repairers and start again, I intend to fit it back on the van, change the brake fluid, and see if the abs fairies have been good to me and made the problem disappear. yes I am 65 and still believe in fairies good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Where are you from?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭runner2011

Mgtony.. i found these online..perhaps you could try them as they seem to reference that part number , although the finish site seem to have that part number against a renault Megane however the Norwegian site lists it against a Ducato ..best of luck

http://www.abs-steuergeraet.com/product_info.php/language/en/info/p306_abs-hydraulikblock-ducato-fiat-51726121-0265220694-bosch-0273004957.html/

http://www.varaosahaku.fi/?link=list&ggl=s16&searchmode=1&vc1=184&pc1=109&vc%5B0%5D=184134100&pc%5B0%5D=109106100

http://www.finndel.no/bildeler.aspx?dk=0030&bk=20

Skegness Lincolnshire

hi
    thanks you for your message I have tried these sites, but no stock, If I find a garage that is registered with bosch Germany then I could return it for rebuild
    SO I either find a second hand unit or remove the abs complete, removing the and connecting through the brake pipes is ok but I would need to short out a couple of pins on the multiplug.
    not much rush now this year but must get it back on the road for next one way or another.

paddyp wrote: »
    9 times out of 10 abs faults are a wheel sensor or wiring. Its common for wires to crack off internally on those bosch 5.3 units its a problem across all marques with that generation pump - saab, vw, bmw, landrover etc.

Why people want a fault finding system that indicates faults in itself and not the system it monitors 90% of the time I'll never understand. New sprinters have 32 dash warning lights...:rolleyes: p-sah.

mgtony wrote: »

This is what I would do but you'll have to do some research on the logistics because modern auto-electrics and multiplexing are ridiculous.
    First I'd physically check all is well in the aulde tried, tested and trusted mechanical braking system.
    If the brakes are sound then I'd open the dash take the bulb holder out of it's placement, bulb still attached and drop it into the depths of the console still connected, wrapped in foil where nobody will see it illuminating.
    Then I'd tail into a bulb of a working system with a new holder and use two bulbs half the wattage in both the new bulb and the bulb you tail from (keep the multiplexer happy). Put the donor bulb in it's original setting and the new bulb in the ABS placement.
    Light goes on when you turn key for bulb/system check, turns off when you start ignition, system apparently working. DOE is happy. You can eyeball the brakes are working as much as you please in your own time.

No idea if this will work. Feel free to admonish me for this sort of suggestion I'd be happy to learn something.

Do modern vehicles even have bulbs in the dash or are they all LED's on PCB's now?

The second one I linked to is the exact part number and from a very reputable company, for a similar price to a second hand complete unit that you'll know nothing about.

Advertisement