Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Razor Burn

• 10-02-2013 8:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I need help with razor burn around my neck and its really annoying me at this stage, i have tried everything.

I am 23 and have had it ever since i started shaving at about 15 and i normally let it grow, only shave about 2-3 times per week.

I have searched the internet and watched numerous tutorials on how to prevent it and still no luck. I even usually shave straight after using the steam room at the gym and that hasn't even stopped it.

Is there any advice or products you could recommend me to help get rid of this?

Thanks for the help :)

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

What kind of a razor are you shaving with? Cream/gel/soap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Liam90

I know this sounds bad but at the moment i am using cheap two blade razors from aldi because im a little short on cash and am using shaving cream and gel from the real shaving company.

However in the past i was using Gillette Fusion ProGlide and the razor burn was just as bad then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Liam90

Also i was looking into making a purchase on shaving.ie and get a good shaving setup.

I was looking at this: http://www.shaving.ie/products/The-Basic-Essentials-Safety-Razor-Starter-Kit.html

and getting either a Muhle R89 or an Edwin Jagger DE89L

What do you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,470 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Aldi blades are very harsh on your skin also personally I can't use Gillette cartridges as they're like sandpaper for me so maybe start by finding a blade that suits you,hair conditioner or shampoo when in the shower is quite good for softening the beard and perhaps a pre shave for extra lubrication.If you can't afford a proper kit at the moment I've found wilkinson fives to be excellent,about a tenner a pack I think,as I'm sure your aware shaving with the grain is vital and perhaps not trying to get too close and leave some stubble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Liam90 wrote: »
    Also i was looking into making a purchase on shaving.ie and get a good shaving setup.

I was looking at this: http://www.shaving.ie/products/The-Basic-Essentials-Safety-Razor-Starter-Kit.html

and getting either a Muhle R89 or an Edwin Jagger DE89L

What do you think?

Do it. Better shave and you will save money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Your story is similar to mine and why I made the jump to DE shaving. For the first time in my adult life my neck isn't irritated and I can shave daily.

See this post for my recommendations:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=82696124&postcount=5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭nc6000

What blades do you use Newkie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

nc6000 wrote: »
    What blades do you use Newkie?

I started with Derby, quickly went to Astra Platinum, then to Gillette 7 o'clock Sharps, and now use Feathers.

I wasn't ready for Feathers when I started, but now nothing else seems to compare. They're so sharp that with a good lather and the right angle the weight of the razor does the work which is crucial for me to keep my neck happy. Like all things shaving your mileage may vary, you're really best off trying a selection and remember to re-try blades you didn't like the first time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Milly33

try using some T tree oil, and some silocks base cream you can get it in any chemist... use the cream after shaving and then possibly the oil going to bed or mix both in should clear in a few days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

Silcock's Base cream is amazing. You can use it as a face wash, as a pre-shave, or for anything else you would use soap for.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Where can one buy these items :

Edwin Jagger Barley DE89BA11

Proraso Pre and Post Shaving Cream

I don't buy online. :rolleyes:

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Are you in Dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 93 ✭✭kaiserjim

statesaver wrote: »
    Where can one buy these items :

Edwin Jagger Barley DE89BA11

Proraso Pre and Post Shaving Cream

I don't buy online. :rolleyes:

Thanks
    NJ

You can get the proraso in Boston barbers. Think you're going to have to go online for the razor.

From Galway county. Might be able to find it in Galway city.

or buy online.

Where bouts in Dublin ? just in case i make a day trip sometime

Thanks lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Well Galway I've no idea about.

In Dublin City you should be able to pick them up in Knights Barbers in Stephens Green shopping centre.

If you're considering online, than Shaving.ie is great for stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Grooming Rooms on S William St stock Proraso

Turns out a mate is a DE shaver.
    Gave me a loan of his EJ89 with i think a Gillette 7 o'clock blade and some shaving soap.
    Shaved with it yesterday. Had a 5 day growth.
    Did enjoy the whole lathering experience.
    Went for a 3 pass WTG, XTG and ATG.

Although i think i should of gave the 3rd pass (ATG) a miss because my neck got some serious shaving rash/burn.
    Thank god there was some E45 cream in the bathroom.
    That seems to of taken the edge off it.
    Even when i was lathering up for the 3rd pass i was thinking to myself 'don't do this, stop now'. Didn't.
    Seems my sensitive skin can't take the ATG pass yet. Gave myself 2 very small nicks, expected rivers of blood !!

Didn't feel like i was putting pressure on the razor but i must of been.
    At times i couldn't really feel the blade on my skin so didn't know if it was cutting maybe that's when i applied some pressure and maybe changed the angle too. Angle of the razor wrong on my neck i'd say hence the burn/rash. Fcuk, this is going to take same getting used to.
    Not going to shave again till Tuesday. Don't know if i'll use the EJ89 yet, see how the rash is.

The only good thing is i haven't spent any money on it yet :D. Dunno how long i'll have his razor though :confused:.

Advertisement