Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More zoom or more practice???

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

Robotack wrote: »
    My my rifles (.17 & .243) are fitted with max x9 scopes. They are both quality scopes but of late I'm craving more zoom... should I resist?

I like to head / neck shoot deer and foxes alike. But at ranges beyind 150ish yards I find that instead of aiming at said particular body part, I'm aiming at the general body type area like a big grey blob in the distance.

So I reckon I must need more zoom. But then I look to US web sites and see that they are obsessed with low zoom as opposed to the high zoom European made glass. And snipers use fixed 10 power to shoot lads a mile away. So do I just need range time or do any of you have a view on the merits of high zoom.
    From reading your post robotack I think you should get a scope with a bit more mag.
    I usually leave my stalking scope on 6 power when I start stalking in case something pops up at close range. When I get the chance of a longer range shot I will turn up the mag as high as light conditions will allow to take the shot.
    Another thing thats important is reticle choice. It needs to be fine enough to allow accurate shot placement but not that fine that you cant see it in low light conditions . I prefer scope with the reticle in the 2nd image plane. I once had a 2.5-10x50 high end scope with a 1st focal plane reticle and hated it. The reticle was so thick it made accurate shooting difficult.
    I also enjoy shooting a few targets with my stalking rifle and I can do this with the scope I have which goes up to 14 power.
    I have shot some good groups at 200 yards with this rifle which gives me great confidence when I go hunting.

ive a 5.5-22x56 nightforce on my 223, and shot a heap of foxes its mostly on 5.5. i found i miss more on higher mag
    This shouldn't happen.
    Shoot at a few targets with the scope set at different mags.
    If the point of impact is changing between mags then you have a scope problem, if not its just you.

zeissman wrote: »
    This shouldn't happen.
    Shoot at a few targets with the scope set at different mags.
    If the point of impact is changing between mags then you have a scope problem, if not its just you.
    point of impact never changes, i find it alot easier to stay on target at lower mags, less wobbles

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Robotack

Do any of you find that the 24ish zoom scopes make your stalking rifle an unbalanced pig of a thing to carry? My 700 sps is pure lightweight down to the Atec mod etc.

The 4-16 bracket is appealing to me from the point of view of the smaller size and lighter weight... but then I don't want to buy a x16 and wish I'd gone all out on the x24.

I'm currently looking at the hawke sidewinder in 4-16x50 or 6-24x56
    Or a vortex viper 6.5 - 20x50. Decisions decisions! !......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

Given that you choose high quality glass before anything, after that more mag makes it easier.

• Advertisement

Robotack wrote: »
    Do any of you find that the 24ish zoom scopes make your stalking rifle an unbalanced pig of a thing to carry? My 700 sps is pure lightweight down to the Atec mod etc.

The 4-16 bracket is appealing to me from the point of view of the smaller size and lighter weight... but then I don't want to buy a x16 and wish I'd gone all out on the x24.

I'm currently looking at the hawke sidewinder in 4-16x50 or 6-24x56
    Or a vortex viper 6.5 - 20x50. Decisions decisions! !......
    I had my 6-24x56 zeiss scope on my stalking rifle for a while but did find it heavy and unbalanced compared to the zeiss conquest 4.5-14x50 I have now.
    14 power is more than enough mag for me for stalking.

Advertisement