Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Super-di-dooper-thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

We're 12 points clear and times are good...nice way to start a new thread :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

Nice, lets hope this contains some celebrations down the line :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

12 points

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSzq8D7EuFzzeYe-wvqK8R5JNSiILyb1ifO2mvEhdSKhJRBnLm7_g

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Alot of people are writing off our chances against real, its true they have more quality than us but we still have a good chance, can I askwhatareas we need to strengthen so we could be considered at least on a par if not better than real, would everyone agree that the team we had in 2008 was better than this real team or at least on a par

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

I think Real could well score at OT, so we'll need to get something from the Bernabau.

I'd take a score draw.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

would everyone agree that the team we had in 2008 was better than this real team or at least on a par

I think it was better, really solid at the back, great midfield and frightening options up front

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Alot of people are writing off our chances against real, its true they have more quality than us but we still have a good chance, can I askwhatareas we need to strengthen so we could be considered at least on a par if not better than real, would everyone agree that the team we had in 2008 was better than this real team or at least on a par

Our central midfield. We don't have a dedicated physical holding midfielder, Madrid have two (albeit one's one loan).We're pressing Phil Jones into service there as our first option, whereas Madrid would only put Varane in there if they were depleted due to injury or if they were rotating. We could do with a mobile creative central midfielder as well. Someone like, ooohhh, Luka Modric. The centre of their defence looks stronger too. Full backs are pretty level. Their wide players are better. That's most of the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Too much positivity so far...

Nani and De Gea have to be sold. We should buy someone like Joe Hart.
    Anderson is fat.
    Carrick is only ok. A poor man's Gareth Barry.
    Mike Phelan is a dope.
    Derp de derp Paul Pogba.
    #Obsessed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Too much positivity so far...

Nani and De Gea have to be sold. We should buy someone like Joe Hart.
    Carrick is only ok. A poor man's Gareth Barry.
    #Obsessed.
    WHAT? Can we please not get into another De Gea debate please. De Gea has made half the mistakes Hart has this year and was very composed against Everton. As for Carrick, he is very underrated. Gareth Barry hasn't had the same impact on Man City that Carrick has had on United this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    WHAT? Can we please not get into another De Gea debate please. De Gea has made half the mistakes Hart has this year and was very composed against Everton. As for Carrick, he is very underrated. Gareth Barry hasn't had the same impact on Man City that Carrick has had on United this year.

turn on your sarcasm detector good sir

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Not sure if counter-trolling or...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

2 away goals at Bernabeu please. They're more than capable of getting two at OT so we need that cushion imo, even if its a 3-2 defeat i'd feel alright about it. More so than 2-1 anyways...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

What we need: Long term replacements for Evra, Ferdinand, Carrick. And with the three of those in excellent form, I'd say there's no urgency either. Therefore I am extremely pleased with the squad.

Beat Madrid. That is all that must be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Great result today and delighted we took full advantage of their slip up. The cushion is excellent with the CL tie coming up as there is no pressure on the league at the moment. Starting to give us a real chance v Madrid over the two legs now

Uh_wtf_gif.gif

I ****ing love De Gea and Michael Carrick man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Mikeyt086 wrote: »

I ****ing love De Gea and Michael Carrick man.

the best superhero ever

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Eathrin wrote: »
    What we need: Long term replacements for Evra, Ferdinand, Carrick. And with the three of those in excellent form, I'd say there's no urgency either. Therefore I am extremely pleased with the squad.

Beat Madrid. That is all that must be done.

Replacements are

Evra - Fabio
    Ferdinand - Evans or Smalling/Jones
    Carrick- Powell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Thread needs more chosen one.

tumblr_layabirSp91qzmc3p.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

League is over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Replacements are

Evra - Fabio
    Ferdinand - Evans or Smalling/Jones
    Carrick- Powell

Powell is no replacement for Carrick. Much more of an advanced player, can't imagine him having much interest in sitting in front of the back four every game.

• Advertisement

Timmyctc wrote: »
    the best superhero ever

A super-human ability to divide opinion :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

KevIRL wrote: »
    League is over.

>>>>>>>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Great to be in this position. Stable defence against Madrid and we've a great shout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Clash vs Inter reminds me of playing Mourinhos Inter, hopefully we'll replicate those performances :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Very impressed rafael today and this season in general. Micheal Carrick has made me eat my words , some excellent displays so far this season.

I'm really looking forward to the Madrid game but I do slightly fear the worst. As good as rafael and evra are playing this season they havnt come against a player of ronaldos caliber in a long time and no Gareth bale doesnt count and isn't up there with the cr7's and messi's of the world despite what sky sports are trying to claim.

Both teams are great counter attacking sides so it could be very end to end.

Alright lads,
    Spent all night at ease in the knowledge that the title is all but ours. Can it seriously not be? But...

A freakish occurence just gave me a sudden bout of fear. While catching up on a weekend's worth of footie news on f365.com, I had sky news on in the background. At the bottom of a page there was a link for another which caught my eye, the headline "Kompany On RVP 'Jackpot'". At that exact moment my attention was drawn to the TV by the words Ronaldo + Hatrick. And here we are now.

The sudden feeling of gloom in the pit of my stomach is quite unexpected. I have been nothing but confident about our EPL chances since late September, and likewise with our CL showdown with Madrid since the draw. Now, after whatever the f**k just happened there, 2 things are currently wrecking me.

1. We win the E.P.L. and possibly by even more than the current 12 point gap. It is inevitable that we would/will have to listen to every single ABU say that only for RVP we wouldn't have won it, and even would have struggled to finish 4th. There might be a few posters here who hold some belief in the first part of that statement, I think it does nothing but dismiss and disrespect the efforts of one of the best Utd squads in about 10 years. I can think of a least 12 players who have scored, even Paddy has 4(5) so far. If we win, and in that case definitely will have to listen to that shíte, at this moment I can't see it not getting to me and some seriously heated debates on the horizon.

2. Ronaldo/RM/Mourinho. Gulp. Ronny is going into this game absolutely ablaze. How he doesn't spontaneously combust on the pitch is almost beyond me. At this moment it is not about my confidence in Utd. I just can't rule out the possibility (for the last 10 minutes or so:o) of us getting steam-rolled at the Bernabeu. The team need to show up and score goals, even play-to-win god forbid. If When we go there defensive, it could not end well. Can we score as easily on the counter against RM as in the EPL recently? Guess I only have to wait a couple more days to find out.

I'm going to watch MOTD2 now, been working all day and haven't a clue how we played in the win. Hopefully by the time you read this, if someone did, I will be back on a high and not full of dread, the kind like I have to get all my wisdom teeth removed in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'm usually one of those " Its not over till its over" fellas, but feel its job done.

Our remaining fixtures are comfy enough. Allows good focus to go on the CL and the FA Cup. I'd like to do a double this year, we haven't done one in a while.

Won't be overly gutted if we go out to Real Madrid, and I think being acceptive as the underdog is probably a good mindset to take. Jones has had two good outings now as a kinda man marking zonal midfielder, and done excellent. I think someone in the last thread was spot on with their formation. Basically Rooney on the left, Carrick , Clev in the middle, Tony on the right and Jones tracking Ronaldo and whatever flank is coming under pressure.

I'd really like an FA cup this year alongside the PL, a double is well overdue :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

I still find it mental that Rio (amongst others) doesn't have an FA cup winners medal! I would like to rectify that this year - been way too long since we have won it!

I still find it mental that Rio (amongst others) doesn't have an FA cup winners medal! I would like to rectify that this year - been way too long since we have won it!

One of the lads in work here saying Rooney doesnt have one aswell?

FIX IT!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Thread needs more chosen one.

tumblr_layabirSp91qzmc3p.gif

Speaking of which, Bebe scored the winner for Rio Ave yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

TheDoc wrote: »
    One of the lads in work here saying Rooney doesnt have one aswell?

FIX IT!

i think basically only rvp, giggs and scholes are the only players in the squad who actually have and fa cup medal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

stankratz wrote: »

1. We win the E.P.L. and possibly by even more than the current 12 point gap. It is inevitable that we would/will have to listen to every single ABU say that only for RVP we wouldn't have won it, and even would have struggled to finish 4th. There might be a few posters here who hold some belief in the first part of that statement, I think it does nothing but dismiss and disrespect the efforts of one of the best Utd squads in about 10 years. I can think of a least 12 players who have scored, even Paddy has 4(5) so far. If we win, and in that case definitely will have to listen to that shíte, at this moment I can't see it not getting to me and some seriously heated debates on the horizon.

This bit is a daft argument for anyone to make to you though as you could say it about most sides that has won the PL.

Would City have won the league last year without Aguero?? The season before we mightn't have won it without Berbatov... You could keep going back and doing the same for every season. Fact is nearly every side has a stand out performer over the course of a winning season that they would have struggled to win without.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

So what if a player makes the difference?

He is the best striker in the league, he is going to make a difference.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

The League has always been my priority every year, but taking it back from City is all consuming this year. Any thing else is a bonus.

Last year, I was one of the damp squids who said it wasn't over till its mathematically over, but I think we have done enough this year. City are nowhere near the team they were last year. They are struggling to put away alot of teams.

I can honestly think of no better picture than Van Persie biting down on his first ever Premier League medal with a big goofy smile on his face.

magnumbud wrote: »
    i think basically only rvp, giggs and scholes are the only players in the squad who actually have and fa cup medal

Good God!! I didn't think it was that bad - the last time we won the FA cup in Wembley was 1999! :eek:

• Advertisement

s_carnage wrote: »
    This bit is a daft argument for anyone to make to you though as you could say it about most sides that has won the PL.

Would City have won the league last year without Aguero?? The season before we mightn't have won it without Berbatov... You could keep going back and doing the same for every season. Fact is nearly every side has a stand out performer over the course of a winning season that they would have struggled to win without.

I agree,

Had that from a few Pool fans yesterday. Mentioning they would have been relegated without Gerrard, never mind him carring them to a CL trophy, didn't go down too well : /

But I was making a serious point (50% being a windup).

Every successful team has a player or two who "carry" the team.

How many trophies would this Barca team won without Messi?

I don't think its a valid arguement tbh

TheDoc wrote: »
    I don't think its a valid arguement tbh

I think it is a ridiculous arguement - if RVP is "carrying" us to the title - why couldn't he do that for Arsenal in 5 years?! It's NEVER about one player but the team around him!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I can honestly think of no better picture than Van Persie biting down on his first ever Premier League medal with a big goofy smile on his face.

He will certainly have earned it.

(Should it happen, which is nowhere near the certainty some people think)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

s_carnage wrote: »

Somebody compiled all the stats & we aren't as dependant on RVP as people may think.

http://epltalk.com/2013/01/09/putting-the-robin-van-persie-one-man-team-argument-to-rest/

(Should it happen, which is nowhere near the certainty some people think)

Done deal imo. 12 points is pretty much unassailable with the way City are performing at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Done deal imo. 12 points is pretty much unassailable with the way City are performing at the moment.

I find comments like that utterly hilarious considering the cock-up we made from 8 points clear with only a few games remaining last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I find comments like that utterly hilarious considering the cock-up we made from 8 points clear with only a few games remaining last season.

Indeed - 12 points clear with 12 games to go isn't all that much better than 8 points clear with 8 games to go, and made a balls of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

8 points with 6 games wasnt it?

Which makes it worse, I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

I wouldn't be happy at all going out to Madrid and we shouldn't be happy being the under dog, do we want to be in the 2 Spanish sides shadow forever?

Ye ronaldo is one of the best players of recent times but as a team Madrid are at nothing without him and I wouldn't call their squad stringer than ours tbh.

Even though I fear for our full backs against ronaldo , I still think we should be more than capable of beating them.

Id take the euro over the prem anytime too, we need to get 5 of them to once and for all shut pool fans the f*ck up. In fergies time we should of had a lot more than 2 European cups IMHO.

Id take the euro over the prem anytime too

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

240550.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I wouldn't be happy at all going out to Madrid and we shouldn't be happy being the under dog, do we want to be in the 2 Spanish sides shadow forever?

Ye ronaldo is one of the best players of recent times but as a team Madrid are at nothing without him and I wouldn't call their squad stringer than ours tbh.

Even though I fear for our full backs against ronaldo , I still think we should be more than capable of beating them.

Id take the euro over the prem anytime too, we need to get 5 of them to once and for all shut pool fans the f*ck up. In fergies time we should of had a lot more than 2 European cups IMHO.

Apart from Ronaldo they have Ozil, Benzema, Higuain and Di Maria who can cause us all sorts of problems. They also have Kaka who is still capable of magic. In defence they are more than competent and have a solid keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

He's spooked, lads!

3tw3Ax5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

i'm glad we've had enough practise sitting deep recently. I don't know if that's a fully concious decision by the big man but if we went to madrid and tried to outplay them we could be battered on the counter. I suspect the start will akin to 2003. ABsolutely pegged back for the first half and hour, but thankfully barthez isn't around this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

stankratz wrote: »
    1. We win the E.P.L. and possibly by even more than the current 12 point gap. It is inevitable that we would/will have to listen to every single ABU say that only for RVP we wouldn't have won it, and even would have struggled to finish 4th.

Well, that would be a blatantly retarded argument. "TEAM SIGNS WORLD CLASS PLAYER AND EXPECTS HIM TO HELP WIN TROPHIES SHOCKER"

RVP couldn't "carry" Arsenal to win the league because surprise surprise, the other 10 guys on the pitch that matter too.

And are people forgetting Nemanja Vidic? He missed the entire second half of last season which was a massive loss. Vidic was outstanding yesterday. One of the top defenders in the world is definitely worth his fair share of points if we're going by that logic. The amount of crosses/corners he headed away was crazy. He attacks the ball so well.

Compared to this time last year, we've effectively gained a world class CB & a world class ST and a bunch of our players (Rafael, De Gea, Jones, Smalling, Chicharito, etc) are a year older & taken a step towards their prime, not to mention more experienced.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement