Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Super-di-dooper-thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Ye have the best squad in the league witha great crop of youngsters with experience. Im not convinced by Moyes but with the current players and resources at his disposal coming below 4th is inconcievable for ye, even in a "shocking season"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

I want next season to start NOW. Can't be waiting months to see how he does.

Yeah exactly.

Unfortunately before then people will be judging him on the pre-season games. Going to be a long summer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

Do you think it's possible that SAF sounded out Moyes earlier in the season about his possible intention to retire and that is why Moyes didn't sign his contract?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

Rio might not sign a new contract and I wonder if Giggs will still stay on for another year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,840 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Gotta love the way Fergie has trolled City's FA CUP final saturday,it may as well not be happening with the little press it is getting!!

Sort of happy Moyes is in,his first 2/3 signing and departures will tell alot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Getting sick of that Jim White already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

dubmick wrote: »
    Rio might not sign a new contract and I wonder if Giggs will still stay on for another year.

Id be very annoyed and disappointed in senor players such as these if they where to pack it in now as soon as Sir Alex steps down it would be lack of respect to new manager also.

If they where committed to the club a week ago that shouldnt change because the manager changes. Even more so because of the situation in which its been done Fergie hand picked his replacement its not a situation where he was sacked or walked off on the club out the blue.

Im hoping all of our players fully back David Moyes because he deserves that respect and the chance to prove himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

At least we have finally got a new DM now ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Im hoping all of our players fully back David Moyes because he deserves that respect and the chance to prove himself.

Any that don't should be told to fúck off immediately. He's the manager now (in a few weeks) and is bigger than any player. It jusy simply has to be that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

dubmick wrote: »

If that's the attitude of our players then they can just **** off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Moyes moving from Everton to Utd makes both teams worse. I'm sickened.

What can we realistically expect from next season? Challenging for the title and Champions league quarter finals are a must, but are they realistic when you consider the amount of change that's taken place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »

What can we realistically expect from next season? Challenging for the title and Champions league quarter finals are a must, but are they realistic when you consider the amount of change that's taken place.

Everton are challenging for 4th on a ****e budget, Imagine him with the players at UTD already and a massive budget. I wasnt happy at first about the appointment but I'm warming to it now and will get behind Moyes all the way....so should you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

We should be challenging but i wont be calling for moyes head if we dont win

CL QF is a bit much to ask for his first season considering we havent been to a QF since 2011

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

All we really need to some midfield solidarity to compete, Fellaini please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

NTMK wrote: »
    We should be challenging but i wont be calling for moyes head if we dont win

CL QF is a bit much to ask for his first season considering we havent been to a QF since 2011

Indeed. Even with SAF, next year was going to be difficult. City and Chelsea will be stronger, and Europe is also getting tougher. It would have been quite possible we'd win nothing. Even with SAF, we won nothing last year.

We need patience. I can live with us not winniong the CL or Prem next year as long as we're challenging and seem to be going in the right direction.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Everton are challenging for 4th on a ****e budget, Imagine him with the players at UTD already and a massive budget. I wasnt happy at first about the appointment but I'm warming to it now and will get behind Moyes all the way....so should you!

Hold on..

There aren't much associated consequences for finishing 6th or 12th or about whether Anichebe or Hibbert should be playing. Finishing first or second though may be different. It could come down to two injury time goals.

Moyes has finished high up the table, but he has also been 11th and 8th with Everton.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

going by this page over the last year all moyes has to do is sign a good CM and everyone will love him :-)

i am happy with moyes. he has been one of my picks for a number of years now. if he gets the players playing at the intensity he has got everton playing at against big teams then with the hugely talented bunch we already have then who knows. as long as we dont drop below 3rd and have a good showing in the domestic and european cups next year then i'd be happy next year. just give him time

in Moyes we trust

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

He's been challenging for fifth, not fourth. There's zero correlation between managing a team with a small budget to limited mid-table sucess, to managing Utd and relaistically challenging on several fronts (league, europe, cups).

He has also won nothing in his career, so we dont know if he can take a team over the success line that even SAF struggled with for several years at Utd.

I'll always support the club, but this doesnt mean i have to be ahppy with this appointment.

Like Mitch said yesterday, we're replacing a class manager, a world beater with someone who's premiership proven but ultimately untested. Football has moved on. There are no long term appointments any more, so we should want the absolute best manager available for that term. Moyes is not that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

So Moyes is in from July 1 on a 6 year deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Six year deal. Holy moley. Either they have bags of faith in the man or they just don't know how to go about this manager lark!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Paddy Power just tweeted this.
    Paddy Power ‏@paddypower
    BREAKING NEWS: David Moyes confirmed as Man Utd manager on a 6 year contract!! #MUFC

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

6 years? Jesus...

And ugh, does that mean no transfer news till July?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Thecon21

Moyes confirmed for 6 year deal.

I don't know how this will pan out..

Hopefully Fellaini follows.

I said about 4 years ago he would be next manager.. I wish him well!

We need to get behind him now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

All we really need to some midfield solidarity to compete, Fellaini please
    At least we have finally got a new DM now ;)

The amount of people who are deluded about Fellaini's role is unbelievable. Although with Baines in you would have someone to lump them up to him.

Seriously, whatever about Baines, United don't need many players, and Fellaini is definitely not one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,713 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

6 years? Bloody hell

But bound to be clauses in that like Pardews one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Well that's it, it's official! All the best Moyesie, 6 years is a great contract for him, a good symbol of our intent not to rush into instant success if that's not what does the best for us in the long term. Long term success is what we're all about at United and hopefully Moyes is the man to continue on that tradition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

And ugh, does that mean no transfer news till July?

Why would that be the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Football has moved on. There are no long term appointments any more, so we should want the absolute best manager available for that term. Moyes is not that.

No it hasn't. People have been saying 'football has completely changed don't you know' for as long as football has existed. Fergie's longevity would have been just as unusual if his long United career had been finishing in 1986 rather than starting.

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2013/May/manchester-united-appoints-new-manager-david-moyes.aspx
    NYSE:MANU, Manchester UK. David Moyes will take over as the Manager of Manchester United from the 2013/14 season.

David, 50, has been the Everton manager since 2002, joining after a successful spell as manager of Preston North End.

Announcing his successor, Sir Alex Ferguson said:

"When we discussed the candidates that we felt had the right attributes we unanimously agreed on David Moyes. David is a man of great integrity with a strong work ethic. I've admired his work for a long time and approached him as far back as 1998 to discuss the position of Assistant Manager here. He was a young man then at the start of his career and has since gone on to do a magnificent job at Everton. There is no question he has all the qualities we expect of a manager at this Club.”

Sir Bobby Charlton said:

“I have always said that we wanted the next manager to be a genuine Manchester United man. In David Moyes, we have someone who understands the things that make this such a special club. We have secured a man who is committed to the long-term and will build teams for the future as well as now. Stability breeds success.

“David has tremendous strength of character and recognises the importance of bringing young players through and developing them alongside world class talent. At United, I think David will be able to express himself. I’m delighted he has accepted and I’mlooking forward to working with him.”

Ed Woodward, said:

“In David Moyes, we have secured the services of an outstanding manager who has all the skills to build on the phenomenal legacy in place today. I have no doubt that he will bring an energy and commitment to deliver winning football that is part of the fabric of this Club. In this respect, he is cut from the same cloth as the Old Trafford greats who go before him.

“I have been very impressed by David’s personal and managerial traits, which reflect the Manchester United values. I have no doubt that he will embrace, and soon become an integral part of, United’s unique culture and heritage.”

Joel Glazer said:

“I am very pleased David has agreed to lead Manchester United into the future. His hard working style and steely determination and are characteristics we value at the Club. He has impressed as a coach for many years now and we strongly believe he will be able to take up from where Alex is leaving off by continuing this Club’s tradition of flair football played by exciting, world class players.”

Avie Glazer said:

“The search for a new manager has been very short. Alex was very clear with his recommendation and we are delighted that David has agreed to accept the job. He comes to us with excellent credentials and a strong track record. I know he is keen to get started and Ed will be sitting down with him as soon as the season is over to discuss plans for the summer and beyond."

David Gill said:

“I’m delighted that David has agreed to join Manchester United. He has done a terrific job at Everton and has all the qualities that we are looking for in a manager to succeed Alex.”

David Moyes said:

“It’s a great honour to be asked to be the next Manager of Manchester United. I am delighted that Sir Alex saw fit to recommend me for the job. I have great respect for everything he has done and for the Football Club.

“I know how hard it will be to follow the best manager ever, but the opportunity to manage Manchester United isn’t something that comes around very often and I’m really looking forward to taking up the post next season.

“I have had a terrific job at Everton, with a tremendous chairman and Board of Directors and a great set of players. Between now and the end of the season, I will do everything in my power to make sure we finish as high as possible in the table.

“Everton’s fantastic fans have played a big part in making my years at Goodison so enjoyable and I thank them wholeheartedly for the support they have given me and the players. Everton will be close to me for the rest of my life.”

David will be introduced to the world as the Manager of Manchester United in due course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Nailz wrote: »
    Well that's it, it's official! All the best Moyesie, 6 years is a great contract for him, a good symbol of our intent not to rush into instant success if that's not what does the best for us in the long term. Long term success is what we're all about at United and hopefully Moyes is the man to continue on that tradition.

Nailz nailed it!

Blatter wrote: »
    Why would that be the case?

Well, if he's not taking over till then, he's hardly going to be doing any deals. The other option would be to make the deals without him which would undercut him straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

All those stats show is he has been a bit cautious away from home against better teams. It's not that unusual Fergie has gone into big games cautious. People like Park and Wellbeck playing on the wing or Jones doing a man marking job etc.

What his results show is his teams are very successful against teams of equal quality or lower quality. At United once he continues to do this we will be competing. Considering he has better players now i am fairly confident he will be fine. What will be interesting his how he will approach games like City and Chelsea and now he has a better team.

What will be crucial to retaining the league and challenging in Europe imo is two factors.

Firstly how the summer goes. The cm needs to be addressed and Fellaini is likely. Also if the likes of Rooney and Nani go it's important to replace them with quality.

Also it will be interesting to see who comes in as assistant manager. If he can bring in somebody with a good tactical knowledge it could work well. With Moyes ability to get the best out of his players and a good tactician beside him i would be happy. Some people are saying Neville he seems to know his stuff but would be a risk.

6 years is long, but I can see why it's been done. Would definitely help curb speculation after a bad defeat/rough patch. It's a real show of backing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I'm glad its 6 years, hope he sees it out unless its a total disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

What's the current financial state Utd are in at the moment guys? How much do you reckon he will be given to spend. My personal opinion on his appointment is of shock that you's have went for somebody who hasn't really got any European experience and lacks real tactical nous for the job. Best of luck to the guy anyway's as he does seem a decent bloke, very interesting times ahead for your club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Six years? What's that all about?
    2ndcoming wrote: »
    The amount of people who are deluded about Fellaini's role is unbelievable. Although with Baines in you would have someone to lump them up to him.

Seriously, whatever about Baines, United don't need many players, and Fellaini is definitely not one of them.

It seems we know more about Fellaini than you. Even though he has been used high up the pitch in recent years, he is still a very good central midfielder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Good that it's 6 years imo.

shows intent to stability.

He should be given the full 6, unless there is a relegation threat.

Well, if he's not taking over till then, he's hardly going to be doing any deals. The other option would be to make the deals without him which would undercut him straight away.

He's not 'officially' taking over until then. You can be fairly sure that Utd will be looking at players and possibly signing them before then and Moyes will obviously be consulted. Have no idea why you think he'd be undercut?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Surprised at the July 1 starting date. What's he going to be doing until then? I'd have preferred him to be in the office before the end of May. Maybe SAF will take that long to pack his Manager of the Month awards.

Good that it's 6 years imo.

shows intent to stability.

He should be given the full 6, unless there is a relegation threat.

Relegation is hardly the threshold. If he went 2 years without making the top 4, he would and should be sacked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Great deal and it ensures the stability of not hiring and firing managers. Hopefully he gets the full 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Very pleased with the news of a six year deal. Delighted he's been appointed so quickly, it ends all the nonsense. Quite excited now I have to admit!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Surprised at the July 1 starting date. What's he going to be doing until then? I'd have preferred him to be in the office before the end of May. Maybe SAF will take that long to pack his Manager of the Month awards.

let the man have his holiday :-D. it also probably means not paying Everton compensation since he is contracted to them til then. he will probably be doing the job before then and making out his targets for the summer etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

His Everton contract runs out the day before, I think that's the reason for the July 1st date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,475 ✭✭✭secman

Best of Luck Moyesy and hopefully you will be a Sir too.............whilst still at united and your own trophy list.

Secman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Finally some sense in this forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Its the not the ''Sexy European manager'' most would of wanted but everyone who matters up top at Manchester United has clearly approached this the way they think is best and its not something that has been planned and done over night.

If they wanted a Jose or a Pep i imagine they would of went for them and more then likely gotten them.

They didnt and in David Moyes where getting a manger whos willing to work with the club the players and hes a man i can not imagine causing trouble and rebelling towards the board and leaving the club after a few seasons as many of these European managers end up doing so.

It brings stability to a club who is replacing the greatest manager of all time and were getting someone who has the full backing and approval of that man himself what more could u want in fairness??

As Manchester United fans we support the club and players and the board and they have made this choice in the total interest of the club and i support there opinion more then anyone elses in this situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Fellaini is actually a very decent midfielder,he got stuck up front at Everton out of neccessity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Pro. F wrote: »
    Six years? What's that all about?

It seems we know more about Fellaini than you. Even though he has been used high up the pitch in recent years, he is still a very good central midfielder.

I wouldn't dispute your vast football knowledge pal, but when exactly is he still a very good centre midfielder? Your new manager played him as "beanpole targetman" all season unless one of the mighty Osman or Gibson got subbed or injured.

He must be something else at DM if it takes Darron Gibson to keep him out of that position...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

zerks wrote: »
    Fellaini is actually a very decent midfielder,he got stuck up front at Everton out of neccessity.

“We needed someone to replace things that he [Carsley] had been doing: possession regains, winning tackles and headers, protecting the back four.”

Considering Everton broke the bank to sign him purely for the above reasons, I'm sure he's up to scratch ;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement