Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Super-di-dooper-thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,842 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Looks like the board went with SAF's recommendation afterall, thankfully.
    Despite what I was told on this forum yesterday by some, it does appear SAF has some clout within the club...

Great appointment I think.
    Now to see whether United fans have the patience required to let Moyes settle in.

I think a six year contract was a signal that Moyes is the future, not just a stop gap until Mourinho or someone else comes in. Gives the club and manager some stability.

Best of luck to him!

Final word, it doesn't appear "European" experience is as big a deal as some people appear to think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Welcome aboard Moyes!

Onwards and upwards boys, onwards and upwards! GGMU :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Good luck to Moyes, any sensible fan will give him the time he more than deserves based on what he's done in his career. The fact that Sir Alex recommended him above anyone else speakes volumes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

2ndcoming wrote: »
    I wouldn't dispute your vast football knowledge pal, but when exactly is he still a very good centre midfielder? Your new manager played him as "beanpole targetman" all season unless one of the mighty Osman or Gibson got subbed or injured.

He must be something else at DM if it takes Darron Gibson to keep him out of that position...

It's a bit like a tweet I saw about Lewandowski a couple weeks ago, 'Breaking news: United fans cool on Lewandowski as he fails to score four in the second game they've watched him play'.

Moyes played Fellaini up front this season as they needed goals, they don't have many good attacking options.

It's disingenuous to suggest that Gibson was keeping him out of CM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Welcome David Moyes. The brave new world starts now! (Or July at least)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Jesus Gordon McQueen sounds rough on sky sports news. Sounds like he was on the piss last night :pac:!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

I wouldn't dispute your vast football knowledge pal, but when exactly is he still a very good centre midfielder? Your new manager played him as "beanpole targetman" all season unless one of the mighty Osman or Gibson got subbed or injured.

He must be something else at DM if it takes Darron Gibson to keep him out of that position...

Fergie played Rooney as a central midfielder, is he no longer a good striker? Fellaini played there because Everton were short on options up front, he was in awesome form up there and because he's talented enough to play anywhere in midfield.

It's not just now that people are suddenly wanting him signed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Mars Bar wrote: »
    And a fresh start.

Keep seeing this on the first page of this thread :D

Best of luck to the new boss.

Jesus Gordon McQueen sounds rough on sky sports news. Sounds like he was on the piss last night :pac:!!

He's recovering from throat cancer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

No point in worrying about the appointment now. Great faith shown by club in giving him 6 years. Positive sign for future. Exciting in a (sick) way.

Over to you now David.

In Moyes we trust!!!!

RikkFlair wrote: »

Ahhhh ok i wasnt aware of this i taught there was something very rough about his voice makes sense!!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

RikkFlair wrote: »

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT_2a5VVQjW2_Z-kUmObflE49IMI-G_E9MNrHoXUg58xJW9_j92

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

In SAF we still trust,his recommendation,so if Moyes is good enough for him then he is good enough for me.

Best of luck to him.

What a crazy few days its been

NUTZZ wrote: »
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT_2a5VVQjW2_Z-kUmObflE49IMI-G_E9MNrHoXUg58xJW9_j92

:pac: aint my first time wont be my last....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I wonder what kind of changes he'll make behind the scenes regarding backroom staff/coaches/scouts... ?

I think we can (thankfully) say goodbye to Giggs starting many more games anyway. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Blatter wrote: »
    Moyes played Fellaini up front this season as they needed goals, they don't have many good attacking options.

It's disingenuous to suggest that Gibson was keeping him out of CM.

Well if it was his best position I don't think Moyes would have spent 2 million of his limited budget bringing in Gibson in the first place. Moyes played him where he did because it is his best role and it suited Everton's style of play.

Now that style of play Moyes may well have adopted because it was the best way to achieve what Everton wanted, and Fellaini fitted that system perfectly, but I don't think he will bring it with him to Man United with a wealth of attacking talent and funds at his disposal.

Personally I think it's a good appointment, and it's good to see a huge club like Man U sticking to club tradition rather than joining the Chelsea/Real/City manager merry-go-round circus. I was full sure they would go for Jose when I heard the news first.

It will be interesting to see how the under-25 Man U fans who've never known anything but winning will react to what is sure to be a period of transition. If they're 3rd/4th come Christmas there will be some toys getting chucked from the pram by an element of the fanbase for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

He has played most of his games in central midfield during his time at Everton. He has only been more permanently moved up front in recent times. That was to solve the perennial issue at Everton, them not being able to attract a top quality striker. It's not a case of Gibson keeping him out of the CM spot at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I wonder what kind of changes he'll make behind the scenes regarding backroom staff/coaches/scouts... ?

I think we can (thankfully) say goodbye to Giggs starting many more games anyway. :D

Phil Neville. He's leaving Everton at the end of the season and like Moyes, ominously not said where he's going.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Well if it was his best position I don't think Moyes would have spent 2 million of his limited budget bringing in Gibson in the first place.

Yeah, no manager ever buys another CM when he already has one doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Delboy5

In Moyesy we Trust...

Interesting article from Oct. 2012 about him i found on twitter:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8455781/everton-problems-being-medium-size-soccer-club

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The fantasy XI's have started.

MAN%20UNITED%20MOYES1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭LuckyCharms

Glad he got a long term deal and i hope he brings baines with him.

Hopefully Rio and Giggsy will stay on as i think its important for the first season anyway.Will be pretty weird for Giggs tho, never had another manager.

I wonder will he be bringing any staff with him? He really revamped Everton so i wouldn't be surprised if some of the staff come over as its important he has some people that he has a close relationship starting off but it may not be as important since he will have Saf around.

I think we will have some good insight after 2-3 years on how its gonna pan out barring something crazy happening the first season.

Next Season : hoping for a decent challenge for EPL and at least getting out of the group stage of the UCL.

Signings : Baines,Midfielder like strootman and someone to replace rooney if he leaves

Regarding Rooney supposedly asking to leave, i stopped caring about him being a utd player when he handed the transfer request in the first time and i think he stopped caring sometime since then as well so a parting of the ways may be best for all (2 PSG hopefully).

Will be a very interesting summer to see what kinda pull the club has without the GOAT managing them.I have a feeling we may need to show some more financial muscle in attracting players in the short term until people get a feeling about how Moyes will work out.

Speaking of Gordon McQueen, have to resurrect this gem from Big Sam on Twitter
    TheBig_Sam notBigSam
    Watching the lovely Hayley McQueen on Sky. Can't believe Gordon McQueen's balls produced this little peach. Praise his big, ginger balls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

You say that and fair enough he's not been great but then you look at the game hid had against Madrid in the CL quarter final..........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

You say that and fair enough he's not been great but then you look at the game hid had against Madrid in the CL quarter final..........

That doesn't really change anything..................................................................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

Lads, firstly, there's going to be serious WUMmage from some bitters over the next few days. Just don't take the bait, not worth getting a warning/ban over their pathetic envy.

Secondly;
    I think if any United fans are going to start s***ting on this before Moyes has even started at the job, they should take a long hard look at themselves and ponder if they really do support the club, or are they glory hunters. Is Moyes a Mourinho or a Guardiola? No. Is he a good manager? Very much so. He deserves a good shot at the job. Next year if we finish 3rd or 4th, maybe question him. Until then, I'm looking forward to this.

Lads, firstly, there's going to be serious WUMmage from some bitters over the next few days. Just don't take the bait, not worth getting a warning/ban over their pathetic envy.

Imagine how they'd feel if Moyes won the treble in his first season.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Conbhar

Six year contract just goes to show that the club are looking for stability imho, which can only be a good thing. I hope that the statement released by the club on his appointment shows all the doubters why exactly he was hired in the first place.

After all the uneasiness that's been floating around the last few days, I'm starting to get a wee bit excited about what the season ahead and the seasons after have in store for us all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

zerks wrote: »
    Imagine how they'd feel if Moyes won the treble in his first season.

Oh even then it won't be Moyes that 'won' it....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

That doesn't really change anything..................................................................

Of course it does, a bit of experience to have around whilst Moyes beds in for the 1st year could be pivotal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

This gonna cause sh1t in here.

Think we gotta decide on alternative nickname or abbreviation for DM, cos when we're talking about DM, people won't know if we're talking about DM, or if we say that DM isnt doing his job as well as we'd hoped, do we need a new DM, or a new DM.

Al Capwned wrote: »
    This gonna cause sh1t in here.

Think we gotta decide on alternative nickname or abbreviation for DM, cos when we're talking about DM, people won't know if we're talking about DM, or if we say that DM isnt doing his job as well as we'd hoped, do we need a new DM, or a new DM.

Moe would do as a nickname.

They should rename the Bishops Blaize to Moyes' Tavern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Moyes was first mentioned on the thread by klose on Monday:
    klose wrote:
    @paddypower: BREAKING NEWS: We have cut David Moyes into 1/2 from 7/2 to be next permanent Man Utd manager after a flood of overnight bets! #MUFC #EFC

Serious cut in odds there

36979336.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Tippex

Rio has spoken
    http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2013/May/rio-ferdinand-says-david-moyes-offers-continuity.aspx?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=post&utm_campaign=twitterManUtdPO
    Rio Ferdinand says he is “delighted” with the appointment of David Moyes as Sir Alex Ferguson’s successor at Manchester United and believes the new man offers continuity of managerial style and an acknowledgement of the club’s well-established history and traditions.

Moyes will officially take up his new post on 1 July on a six-year contract, and he arrives at Old Trafford with the full blessing and backing of Sir Alex, as well as the players.

“We are all delighted,” Ferdinand told MUTV. “I think it was important that the club made a decision quickly and it all got sorted out. I think the club have acted impeccably in that sense. The manager, I’m sure, thought long and hard about his own decision, he made it and then the club acted swiftly and it’s great to see the new manager coming in."

Picking the right man to replace Sir Alex after 26 trophy-laden years at the helm at Old Trafford was always going to be an important decision, but Ferdinand feels that Moyes’ appointment provides continuity.

“Another reason I think it’s a good appointment is that David Moyes will be very, very open and sympathetic to the traditions of the club and he’ll try to continue that and not come in and make changes in terms of the whole characteristics of the club.

“That’s important for a club of this size and important from what’s gone on before. The manager that we’ve got now has implemented a fantastic system, a working system, and we’ve been successful this year and hopefully we can continue that and this guy I’m sure is the right man to do that and take us forward.

“He’s a very honest man it seems, and from what you hear from other players that you speak to and he’s done a fantastic job at his previous club, Everton. They’ve always been a solid team always hard to play against and what he’s always demanded from his players, from what we see, is a great work ethic and I think there are a lot of similarities with the manager that we’ve got at the moment. That’s a big thing that he continues that tradition.”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

In a way Im pround we didnt take the quick fix solution of someone like Mourinho and instead opted for a long term solution.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I can't believe the original DM post went over so many heads.

Welcome David Moyes. Well deserved chance at a massive job for him and a sensible decision by United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

iDave wrote: »
    In a way Im pround we didnt take the quick fix solution of someone like Mourinho and instead opted for a long term solution.

That you Moysie?

Why are people talking about quick fix vs long term planning. We are the reigning champions, this appointment was neither. Moyes was appointed over Mourinho for numerous reasons: He will be brought in and follow the united way to doing things while Mourinho would have more than likely wanted to bring his own staff along.United clearly wanted a manager to carry on what Fergie has done in the same managerial style which is the big reason Saf recommended Moyes in the first place.

Mourinho or Moyes appointments would neither have been quick fixes or long term solutions. Both would have been bought in to follow the blueprint laid out by Saf throughout his term as manager and clearly Saf feels that Moyes will do a better job at that then Mourinho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

This is the quick fix and the long term solution that we need.

Welcome aboard David Moyes :D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I really hate this condescending tone fans of other clubs have, as if it's a given that Moyes isn't up to the job and all the United fans are going to turn against him after 1 or 2 bad results. It really puts into perspective why their managers feel such huge pressure for immediate success and are hounded out of the club for not achieving it. I really hope that doesn't happen with United's match going fans, though even they can be a fickle bunch at times with regards to players.

It's ok to question and criticise a manager's decisions but the people who don't give him a chance before they begin this are the worst of the people who call themselves supporters. Looking through the Liverpool thread when they appointed Rodgers and the amount of people saying he wasn't up to the job before he'd spent a minute at the club was baffling.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I reckon no matter who United had appointed, some other teams' fans would have slated the decision and heralded the downfall of United. Better to ignore them. I'm done reading the other thread now to be honest.

And I agree it will sort the wheat from the chaff fan wise. But there'll be a happy middle ground; I expect plenty of fair criticisms thrown his way and want him to prove people wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

I think it's fair that people had their own opinions on who should be manager, many of whom were not favouring Moyes (myself included). But now that he is there he needs to be fully backed and supported by all, simple as that. He needs to be given the best possible chance to succeed.

There's going to be a lot of comings and goings this summer, uncertain but exciting times ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Secondly;
    I think if any United fans are going to start s***ting on this before Moyes has even started at the job, they should take a long hard look at themselves and ponder if they really do support the club, or are they glory hunters. Is Moyes a Mourinho or a Guardiola? No. Is he a good manager? Very much so. He deserves a good shot at the job. Next year if we finish 3rd or 4th, maybe question him. Until then, I'm looking forward to this.

****ing hell

People are entitled to their opinion on the new manager. I'm sure everyone doubting him would love to be proven wrong, but this whole you have to be positive about everything is nonsense.

I'm sure most of the people who thanked this post get riled up when the league of ireland fans post about real supporters. Hypocrites

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,247 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

It wrecks my head all the negativity to be honest... Moyes has endless support and resources. A team of champions, the backing of the greatest manager of all time the list goes on moyes will be a success and united will win the league next year trust me I know I'm right

For the first couple of seasons i think that Saf will still play a role in terms of helping attract the marquee players and it will help make a strong statement about the confidence in Moyes having these players come to the club. I think we will be getting one big name this season as a statement of intent for the season ahead so in that sense there is some excitement around the club to see what Moyes can do. Only time will tell how good he is when you have to deal with the pressure of being the manager of Manchester United.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Any idea on the number 2, is phelan gone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Welcome, Mr. Moyes. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭larchielads

MOYnchester United:p

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Issac

syngindub wrote: »
    Any idea on the number 2, is phelan gone?

Wouldn't mind seeing Gary Neville return for this. Appears to know what he's talking about tactically, would provide another link to the Ferguson era which would hopefully add to a stable transition.

On another note I'd love to see SAF do a few punditry gigs for Sky Sports / BBc (or replace Dunphy as the ultimate troll!!). Would be class to hear his reading of games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Originally when i would've been asked who i'd prefer for the job, i'd say Jose but now that its Moyes i can see the logic and think in time it will prove to be the shrewder move.

Most people would agree i'm sure that this choice brings continuity in the values and approach of the manager. I reckon he deserves his chance at managing this great club. He seems a down to earth modest character who's put in the graft to get this opportunity and i've a feeling he's going to grasp it and sicken all those pisstakin pool fans that are flyin about at the minute!

Here's to the beginning of a new successful era! :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement