Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Super-di-dooper-thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Blatter wrote: »
    Fellaini has only 1 red card in his last 4 seasons for Everton/Belgium. He picks up a lot of yellows and walks a tight rope with regards use of his arms but that wouldn't stop me from signing him, the latter in particular can be addressed.

Really hope he's signed. It might depend on how much sway Moyes holds with him as Chelsea are supposedly keen on him too.
    Have read online before that Fellaini leaves in the Manchester area already and that he doesn't particularly like London - he likes where he is, so if we were to move for him I would say we stand a very very good chance of getting him. Yes, there are more talented midfielders in football, but I'd be very happy to see Fellaini in the United squad - he would give us a physical dimension that we currently lack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I wonder would there be an agreement maybe that Moyes wouldn't raid Everton for players?

It would only ever be Fellaini and Baines anyways but it's something that might get in the way of a transfer.

Those agreements are only usually put in place when the manager has to be removed from his contract to join his new club, Moyes is different as he's out of contract. If he doesn't sign any players from the club he'll be doing it because a) he doesn't want them or b) out of some sort of personal respect for the club. I'd be very disappointed if it was b) as improving Man Utd has to be his #1 priority now above all else.

They've already accepted that Fellaini is very likely to leave anyway, they are powerless as he has a ~£24m release clause. Would be silly to have a problem with him going to Man Utd.

zerks wrote: »
    Talk of Moyes bringing Phil Neville with him as part of his backroom staff,I kinda hope that the current staff at United stays the same.Rene is very highly regarded & Steele is doing an amazing job with De Gea.Phelan could be on his way though.

I think he will have to bring some of his own staff with him - it would be crazy for him not to but at the same time I can't see a massive change the structures at the club. I think the staff could be added too as opposed to swapped around. I would be surprised if the GK coaches, fitness staff or physios left - especially the fitness/medical staff as their knowledge of the players is as important as anything else when it comes to doing their job.

Would have no issue with Phil Neville coming back, but given I have read and seen far more from Gary in terms of his analysis and appreciation of the game I would prefer to have Gary back - but I don't see that as a possibility until after next summer, I don't see him leaving England before the WC Brazil cycle is over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Have read online before that Fellaini leaves in the Manchester area already and that he doesn't particularly like London - he likes where he is, so if we were to move for him I would say we stand a very very good chance of getting him. Yes, there are more talented midfielders in football, but I'd be very happy to see Fellaini in the United squad - he would give us a physical dimension that we currently lack.

Sounds good that he doesn't want to move South.He might prevent us from being bullied in the midfield which has happened far too often in recent seasons.

I love reading the transfer rumours this morning,"Moyes wants Lewandowski as a priority", "Rooney is withdrawing his transfer request","Ronaldo's rant at Jose paves way for United". "Moyes to bring Baines & Fellaini".
    There's gonna be a lot of muppetry this Summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

Moyes Press conference 130 today,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

zerks wrote: »
    Talk of Moyes bringing Phil Neville with him as part of his backroom staff,I kinda hope that the current staff at United stays the same.Rene is very highly regarded & Steele is doing an amazing job with De Gea.Phelan could be on his way though.

You would have to imagine he will change a few of the coaching staff anyway, he has to be his own man, he has to have his own team.

Talk of bringing in Phil to coach the under 21's, he will surely be bringing his own assistant, or maybe Rene will make the step up?

Some excellent coaches at the club, but they are Fergies coaches, not Moyes'

If that info is correct, it sounds like it may very well happen then. Not sure why Moyes wouldn't want to bring him along.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Will be good addition for sure. Also Moyes was interested in signing Ever Banega 2 or 3 years back and also Moutinho in 2008. So maybe he will go on to sign them as we clearly need midfielders and if Everton tried to sign him then for sure Moyes rates them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Those agreements are only usually put in place when the manager has to be removed from his contract to join his new club, Moyes is different as he's out of contract. If he doesn't sign any players from the club he'll be doing it because a) he doesn't want them or b) out of some sort of personal respect for the club. I'd be very disappointed if it was b) as improving Man Utd has to be his #1 priority now above all else.

They've already accepted that Fellaini is very likely to leave anyway, they are powerless as he has a ~£24m release clause. Would be silly to have a problem with him going to Man Utd.

Indeed. It would be a no brainer really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

kryogen wrote: »
    You would have to imagine he will change a few of the coaching staff anyway, he has to be his own man, he has to have his own team.

Talk of bringing in Phil to coach the under 21's, he will surely be bringing his own assistant, or maybe Rene will make the step up?

Some excellent coaches at the club, but they are Fergies coaches, not Moyes'

I think changing too much might be a bad idea as Fergie coaches or not, they are ManUtd coaches and are highly rated by Fergie.

Moyes will bring few for sure but making too many changes won't be good IMO.

Also if at all we are looking for Asst Manager, hopefully it is someone like CQ mould who is tactically great, just reading from the players about the preparations for 2008 CL semi finals shows how good he was tactically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Couple of United Legends in this vid & one very special one at the end.Fair play to the best man for pulling this off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Fergie pushed out by Glazers rumour true?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Don't believe it for one second.

Why push out Fergie and bring in Moyes :confused:

IvySlayer wrote: »

There are rumours his health is worse than is being let on - and that is why this has all come to a head, since the story about the hip op broke. But that is all it is, rumours. Graham Hunter, for example, has said the plan were previously to retire after the Rome final (with a family wedding being postponed to accomodate the retirement issues Fergie would have to deal with) and again last season - but the dramatic way we lost the title and who we lost it to kept Fergie going. So while there are rumours the Glazers gave him a nudge, a lot of other talk regarding previous retirement plans wouldn't back it up.

The Rooney/twitter things seems to be a nothing story.

http://therepublikofmancunia.com/hold-on-did-rooney-remove-manchester-united-player-from-bio/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=hold-on-did-rooney-remove-manchester-united-player-from-bio&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Where are those rumours coming from, I've only heard that Richard Keys suggested it.

It could only be true if the Glazers had big concerns over his health and SAF disagreed. I would be very very surprised if it was the case, more than likely a load of BS.

The fact he had been saying he wasn't ready for quitting up until very recently. It all came out of the blue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Moyes Press conference 130 today,

Am sure he'll tell the Journos that's he there to talk about Everton and their game not to talk about Man United .

Only other thing I could find on it is this.

http://www.sportsdirectnews.com/premier-league/24141-fergie-pal-did-he-jump-or-was-he-pushed.php

David Meek just putting forward a possible theory, he has no info on it.

While I have been clear Moyes is not the man I wanted to take over from Fergie, I am really excited to see how the summer goes.

I don't expect next season to go brilliantly - even with Fergie in charge renewed efforts from City and Chelsea would be very hard to stop.

I'm looking forward to seeing who Moyes brings in, both in terms of staff and players - and what our general style of play might evolve to. Hoping we see a few younger players brought in - the 22-25 age bracket, to keep us building towards future success.

I do love transfer time, so this summer could be a great one for speculation!

• Advertisement

Only other thing I could find on it is this.

http://www.sportsdirectnews.com/premier-league/24141-fergie-pal-did-he-jump-or-was-he-pushed.php

David Meek just putting forward a possible theory, he has no info on it.

Fergie's ghost writer - I would imagine he knows more than he lets on as fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

In Regards to the whole Rooney thing. I'm hearing he asked for the transfer after the Madrid match.

The press are obviously running the Wayne wants out angle again but here is the thing. He asked about leaving and did not hand in a transfer request.

It could have been him not feeling like he was needed anymore and saying "listen boss you have RVP I don't think there is a place for me" he did miss a sitter in that Madrid game and could have been feeling down and low of confidence. Watching RVP get off to such a great start can't have been easy for him either.

Fergie may have then assured him that he is still vital to the squad.

What I'm getting at is we don't really know how it went down and it may not have been done in a disrespectful manner like some people are thinking, it may just have been RVP is so good and with Kag's able to play behind him I feel like I'm holding things back. He was then told your still important and nothing happened since.

He hasn't played a full 90 mins since the Madrid match btw

I still don't want him sold and if and when he leaves everyone will soon realize what an asset he has been for UTD and how much we will miss someone with his ability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Fergie pushed out by the Glazers......

Glazers family: "ok guys lets see the fans hate us what should we do to make them like us more? Oh I know lets bully Fergie out of the club" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Fergie's ghost writer - I would imagine he knows more than he lets on as fact.

Would be incredibly shocking if true, but neither party will ever entertain the idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Fergie did say up to quite recently that it would be his health that would decide when he quits, did he not? So maybe there is something in it... Maybe.

But whatever. He's gone now, and I hope he's not in any way ill and that he'll be around for another few years yet.

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Would be incredibly shocking if true, but neither party will ever entertain the idea.

If there is truth to it - I would say it would be on a health basis rather than Glazers wanting shot of him.

My guess would be Fergie's health isn't as good as is let on in public - we have already seen him miss United games (not competitive) due to not flying for health reasons. The Hip Op being confirmed, and for a time that would impact his ability to manage United, is also a very odd one - as United have the right (which they exercise regularly) to veto any medical story with regards to non-playing staff - United confirmed it because they wanted to confirm it; they could have easily told the papers they were not allowed to run it.

I would imagine - if there is any truth to it - it is that with health concerns we possibly don't know the full extent of, the Glazers asked Fergie if it would be better he stepped down now. I don't, for one second, think they forced him out - not even my hatred of the Glazers would have me believe that of them - especially not when Moyes, seemingly Fergie's choice, is the man the got the job.

The fact Fergie is remaining part of the club would further indicate that he wasn't forced out - maybe their were discussions with the Glazer's leaning one way, but no way could I imagine them actively forcing him out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Al Capwned wrote: »
    Fergie did say up to quite recently that it would be his health that would decide when he quits, did he not? So maybe there is something in it... Maybe.

But whatever. He's gone now, and I hope he's not in any way ill and that he'll be around for another few years yet.

don't :( i can just about take him retiring i couldn't take anything bad happening to him :'(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

I wouldn't be surprised if SAF planned all along to go at the end of the season and was just saying what he was saying as a front so that the team didn't drop off the way they did after the last announcement.

I really can't see what benefit it would be to the Glazers to push him out.

I would imagine - if there is any truth to it - it is that with health concerns we possibly don't know the full extent of, the Glazers asked Fergie if it would be better he stepped down now. I don't, for one second, think they forced him out - not even my hatred of the Glazers would have me believe that of them - especially not when Moyes, seemingly Fergie's choice, is the man the got the job.

What exactly do you hate about them? Their hands off approach to letting the manager run the team or the mountains of cash they are making us in sponsorship that will eventually see us clear our debt and turn an already financial powerhouse into an even bigger one.

I realise they saddled us with huge debt but I'm sorry this view of them is a little old and unfair now. They have worked very hard on that debt for UTD and never refused Fergie transfer money. Give credit where credit is due.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I am looking forward seeing who the assistant manager is. Neville is possible it would hardly be a big problem working for club and country.

On Fellaini i don't know why people don't want him. He would bring much needed steel and aggression to cm that's been lacking for a few years. People see him as a battering ram but he is adamant his best role is playing deeper. He would be a big threat from set pieces. I think the move is a no brainer.

On Baines i think he has probably been the best lb in the league for a few seasons. Also his set pieces would be a huge plus. Last season i would have been very happy to sign him. But Evra has come back to near his best this season. He also seems very popular in the dressing room so i see no need for Baines.

Barkley might be a huge prospect but you could probably get Strootman for near enough the same fee. So i would rather strengthen the midfield than bring in a prospect.

What exactly do you hate about them? Their hands off approach to letting the manager run the team or the mountains of cash they are making us in sponsorship that will eventually see us clear our debt and turn an already financial powerhouse into an even bigger one.

I realise they saddled us with huge debt but I'm sorry this view of them is a little old and unfair now. They have worked very hard on that debt for UTD and never refused Fergie transfer money. Give credit where credit is due.

The half a billion pounds, and counting, they have cost the club in interest payments, debt payments and banking fees. The fact that despite the massive deals coming into the club, we are still basically loss making ALL BECAUSE OF THEM.

• Advertisement

Ye i agree i mean they have been quite good.Most top teams have interference from up above.

The debt is being cleared by their brilliant sponsorship deals.
    They never interfered with transfers.
    They never interfered with decisions from Fergie.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

kryogen wrote: »
    Baines goes against the transfer policy, and the only time the club have gone against the policy is signing the likes of Berba/RVP, i.e. fantastic players who were to be the final piece of a jigsaw, Baines aint that good!

There is no need for him, Evra has had a good season and Fabio/Buttner are capable back ups. Unless something changes there left back is a fully stocked position I think.

We have more then one young midifelder at the club.

Well I already said we had Evra so wouldn't need Baines. I was just making the point his age is not the issue. If Evra was unavailable for some reason Baines would be perfect and he wouldn't be outside the policy as he is affordable, English, tried and tested in the league.

not saying Barkley should be signed but United don't have any young players like him for the position he would play that have league experience or physical development other than Powell. So I disagree that United should play the lads they already have on the books over signing a player like Barkley.

markc1184 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if SAF planned all along to go at the end of the season and was just saying what he was saying as a front so that the team didn't drop off the way they did after the last announcement.

I really can't see what benefit it would be to the Glazers to push him out.

I really think Fergie wanted to go out winning the league. He may have realised next year City and Chelsea will be tougher next year and wanted to go out on a high.

It's why i hope people give Moyes time even with Fergie next year 3rd was very possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I think his reaction to Nanis red card kind of confirmed it was his last chance at a Champions League :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

If there is truth to it - I would say it would be on a health basis rather than Glazers wanting shot of him.

My guess would be Fergie's health isn't as good as is let on in public - we have already seen him miss United games (not competitive) due to not flying for health reasons. The Hip Op being confirmed, and for a time that would impact his ability to manage United, is also a very odd one - as United have the right (which they exercise regularly) to veto any medical story with regards to non-playing staff - United confirmed it because they wanted to confirm it; they could have easily told the papers they were not allowed to run it.

The fact Fergie is remaining part of the club would further indicate that he wasn't forced out - maybe their were discussions with the Glazer's leaning one way, but no way could I imagine them actively forcing him out.

Yeah like most over the last 3 days I've been mulling over the possibility that his stepping down is more due to him not being in the shape we think rather than any other reason.

But still if Fergie not going completely on his own terms, even if it was only a suggestive nudge and not a push, were to ever get any level of confirmation the frenzy and storm that would be created by the spin which would undoubtedly be put on it in the media would be immense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

I think his reaction to Nanis red card kind of confirmed it was his last chance at a Champions League :(

I'm convinced he fully intended on staying on as stated in his interviews, programme notes etc. Whatever has happened in the last week has changed all that. Perhaps Moyes was going to go somewhere else?

The half a billion pounds, and counting, they have cost the club in interest payments, debt payments and banking fees. The fact that despite the massive deals coming into the club, we are still basically loss making ALL BECAUSE OF THEM.

Since the 2005 takeover we have won 5 EPL titles, 1 CL, 1 Super cup and 3 league cups. OT's capacity has been expanded and lucrative new sponsorship deals put in place and annual commercial revenues have grown by £100m.

We have operated better on the pitch than our debt free rivals. Debt free and lots of cash to splash doesn't equals success. Chelsea anyone.

Its pretty clear once the debt is cleared that we will be a much stronger club than we were pre-Glazers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I'm convinced he fully intended on staying on as stated in his interviews, programme notes etc. Whatever has happened in the last week has changed all that. Perhaps Moyes was going to go somewhere else?

I'm after reading in a few places that he told Gill around the end of Feb he would be retiring

Pains me he didn't get another CL. His European record wasn't great. Fergie said himself a club Utd's size should have more European trophies.

You never know, maybe Moyes will have a better tactical nous in Europe and Fergie leaving could be the best thing that happened in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Chinpool wrote: »
    I'm after reading in a few places that he told Gill around the end of Feb he would be retiring

tbf, if you looked at the man from 2011-2012 he didnt appear that he had the same level of 'love' for the game. I had a feeling that he would retire last year only he lost the league to City, So this was his last hoorah before he bowed out. Not everyone can or wants to go on working forever.

Id imagine he is quite happy now that he can take the weight of and watch from the stands and regain some passion for the game outside of the heavy weight of management on ones shoulders.

• Advertisement

Since the 2005 takeover we have won 5 EPL titles, 1 CL, 1 Super cup and 3 league cups. OT's capacity has been expanded and lucrative new sponsorship deals put in place and annual commercial revenues have grown by £100m.

We have operated better on the pitch than our debt free rivals. Debt free and lots of cash to splash doesn't equals success. Chelsea anyone.

Its pretty clear once the debt is cleared that we will be a much stronger club than we were pre-Glazers.

Indeed - the success Fergie obtained is down to him and his managerial talents than the Glazers, imo.

The stadium was expanded, correct. The money and plans to expand the stadium were in place before the takeover. Following the takeover the Glazers used that money to pay interest on the debt they alone created and took out a new loan to pay for the quadrants.

They could be worse - they could have saddled us with all the debt they did, paying none of it off themselves (which is the reality) - and been interfering morons at the same time.

The fact they could have been worse doesn't mean I have to like what they have done. When the debt is finally dealt with, and I don't see them taking the excess cash for themselves, I will consider them good owners - as I agree they could be far worse than they are.

But, the fact remains there is a good chance £1,000,000,000 will have been taken out of the club to pay for their takeover by the time it is finished with - money that could and should have been used for the benefit of Manchester United. I will never forgive them for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Pains me he didn't get another CL. His European record wasn't great. Fergie said himself a club Utd's size should have more European trophies.

You never know, maybe Moyes will have a better tactical nous in Europe and Fergie leaving could be the best thing that happened in years.

in fairness any other time he probably would have won one of the 2 finals after the chelsea one. we were just unlucky that probably the best team that ever existed came up against us in both finals. at the time we were probably the 2nd best team in europe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Just read back over events here on the thread. It makes for some interesting reading and really charts events out quite clearly and honestly. I'm sure people will read back on these things in years to come to gauge public perception around big events.

Some interesting opinions too: :D
    FFS Sky saying its going to be Moyes.

That would be a disaster.
    Moyes would be a disaster.
    Please not Moyes :(
    tumblr_lntvq4owj81qc1m9f.gif

To be fair I'm sure many more thought/think the same but now he's appointed the vast majority seem to be getting behind our new manager which is a must. Onwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Im looking forward to see what Keano thinks of all the happening's this week,he has remained silence all week which is unusual for him,but surely he will give his views tomorrow on ITV before the FA Cup final.

To be fair I already retracted that and I accept that it was a stupid thing to say. Listening to ex-players of Moyes and reading up on him it would suggest that he's a very capable manager.

I think Moyes will be a success tbh.

1500 games in charge of one club is just bloody amazing.....

But, the fact remains there is a good chance £1,000,000,000 will have been taken out of the club to pay for their takeover by the time it is finished with - money that could and should have been used for the benefit of Manchester United. I will never forgive them for that.

What are you judging the benefit of the club on? We have expanded OT, brought in new sponsors and our on the pitch our domination has continued.

We have not lost any benefits over the course of their reign. Unless you talking about upgrading training facilities or something I can't see what benefit you mean. We have expanded the brand UTD also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

...and the fact that he actually took over the same year Jack Charlton took the Ireland job. Unreal when you think of it.

• Advertisement

Actually just thinking about this and had a bit of a look for more info...

2155 games as a manager.....

Staggering figures.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement