Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Super-di-dooper-thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

What are you judging the benefit of the club on? We have expanded OT, brought in new sponsors and our on the pitch our domination has continued.

We have not lost any benefits over the course of their reign. Unless you talking about upgrading training facilities or something I can't see what benefit you mean. We have expanded the brand UTD also.

Lets see - that BILLION POUNDS could have funded:

Better player purchases.
    Lower ticket prices.
    Expanding of Old Trafford without adding to the debt (which is what they did).
    Upgrading of the club facilities to something similar to what City have planned.

Yes - brilliant - they have increased the sponsorship cash coming into the club. Lets ignore the fact it goes directly back out of the club to pay for the debt they loaded on us. I would be more appreciative if the extra money was a real benefit to United, but it currently isn't.

They turned us from a profitable club, to a loss making club. Their brilliant sponsorship gains are lost in the debt they saddled on us.

Yes, they could be worse, but that is no reason to like them.

If you completely ignore the debt, then yes - they are very good owners. But I just can't see how you can ignore something so big.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

If what has been posted about Fellaini(wants to stay in the area and 24m buy clause) surely he is a player we would buy.He might not be the most gifted player around but he has plenty of attributes we currently lack in midfield.He is also not the thug/dirty player he is made out to be.1 red in 4 seasons is nothing for the type of game he plays.I don't think there is a better midfielder in the EPL who we could realistically buy that is any better for what we would want from Fellaini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Didn't the recent financial figures show a profit?

Al Capwned wrote: »
    Actually just thinking about this and had a bit of a look for more info...

2155 games as a manager.....

Staggering figures.

Miguel Delaney tweeted yesterday that he won his first trophy in 1976 and the last (:() in 2013 - that time period is just a little under ONE THIRD of the history of football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

RikkFlair wrote: »
    ...and the fact that he actually took over the same year Jack Charlton took the Ireland job. Unreal when you think of it.
    When people were praising Jack they were calling for Fergie to be sacked!

Good aul Jack. How bizarre is this:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Pj! wrote: »
    Just read back over events here on the thread. It makes for some interesting reading and really charts events out quite clearly and honestly. I'm sure people will read back on these things in years to come to gauge public perception around big events.

Some interesting opinions too: :D

To be fair I'm sure many more thought/think the same but now he's appointed the vast majority seem to be getting behind our new manager which is a must. Onwards!

I already addressed that :P I admit I overreacted, but I was still in shock over his resignation.

I'm fully behind Moyes. It makes more sense day by day.

Al Capwned wrote: »
    Didn't the recent financial figures show a profit?

The last full year accounts recorded a 15million loss I believe. Next full year accounts are due in July I think (year ending June 30th)

EDIT: Quarter 3 profits were up, which we announced recently.

The last full year accounts recorded a 15million loss I believe. Next full year accounts are due in July I think (year ending June 30th)

Sound.
    Thought i read it was a profit somewhere.

Anyway, I tend to agree with you in that it's kinda hard to ignore the level of debt that the Glazers have brought to the club. But I wouldn't go so far as to say I hate them or I'll never forgive them for it.

The whole Glazer ownership issue gotta be looked at in it's entirety, I reckon, and I think that they are more than positive overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

yabadabado wrote: »
    If what has been posted about Fellaini(wants to stay in the area and 24m buy clause) surely he is a player we would buy.He might not be the most gifted player around but he has plenty of attributes we currently lack in midfield.He is also not the thug/dirty player he is made out to be.1 red in 4 seasons is nothing for the type of game he plays.I don't think there is a better midfielder in the EPL who we could realistically buy that is any better for what we would want from Fellaini.

However that doesnt include his triple headbutt assault on Shawcross.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Better player purchases.
    Lower ticket prices.
    Expanding of Old Trafford without adding to the debt (which is what they did).
    Upgrading of the club facilities to something similar to what City have planned.

Yes - brilliant - they have increased the sponsorship cash coming into the club. Lets ignore the fact it goes directly back out of the club to pay for the debt they loaded on us. I would be more appreciative if the extra money was a real benefit to United, but it currently isn't.

They turned us from a profitable club, to a loss making club. Their brilliant sponsorship gains are lost in the debt they saddled on us.

Yes, they could be worse, but that is no reason to like them.

If you completely ignore the debt, then yes - they are very good owners. But I just can't see how you can ignore something so big.

RVP, DDG and we tried for Hazard and Neymar. You can't blame better players not coming to UTD on the Glazers. If anything Fergie and La Liga are to blame.

As for better club facilities didn't we upgrade Carrington?

The increase in ticket pricing is a sore point but every club is subject to this and a match day ticket at OT is still considerably cheaper than many other EPL clubs.

I was unhappy as the next man when they took over mainly because of the debt but we seem to have operated as debt free as possible when it comes to the team and the trophies. When you sit back now, years after the take over and look at the situation they have done a good job. When they clear the debt we will be in a great position.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Should Fergie have been sacked for kicking a boot in Beckham's face? Surely in any other profession that'd be the end of a career - injuring your staff.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

RVP, DDG and we tried for Hazard and Neymar. You can't blame better players not coming to UTD on the Glazers. If anything Fergie and La Liga are to blame.

As for better club facilities didn't we upgrade Carrington?

The increase in ticket pricing is a sore point but every club is subject to this and a match day ticket at OT is still considerably cheaper than many other EPL clubs.

I was unhappy as the next man when they took over mainly because of the debt but we seem to have operated as debt free as possible when it comes to the team and the trophies. When you sit back now, years after the take over and look at the situation they have done a good job. When they clear the debt we will be in a great position.

When they clear it?? If they clear it.

And if they do clear it I'm expecting them to take most of the profits out of it.

Part of me wonders if trophies for the club is part of their plan. Or do they just want to keep us competitive ala arsenal where they have strong revenue regardless of silverware. Moyes fits this mantra perfectly.

All in all I think he's a good choice but is have rather we appointed Jose.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Should Fergie have been sacked for kicking a boot in Beckham's face? Surely in any other profession that'd be the end of a career - injuring your staff.

Congrats in a week of idiotic posts this one is the winner.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Fellaini is certainly the type of player United should go for.

he can play a defensive role, attacking role or bit of both so could play with any combination of the current players. Has the physicality no United player out of defence has. I would prefer to see him in midfield than Jones, no doubt.

Of the two midfielders we have I wonder if Moyes can work with Cleverley like he did with Osman or Anderson like Anichebe. Osman is very similar to Cleverley in how they play, the size they have, both were late getting to their clubs first team.

Anderson needs a good kick up the hole and alos an oppertunity to impress, maybe this is his shot to finally get some consistency. Anichebe has some attitude and application problems in the past but Moyes got him out of that eventually. Probably through necessity but still it could be the spark Anderson needs to kick on or be kicked out.

However that doesnt include his triple headbutt assault on Shawcross.
    That was disgraceful behavior that day but its not a case he is doing it every week.We have had loads of players who have done bad acts on the pitch and it hasn't taken away from them being good players.We have plenty of ball players in the team but I would like to see us have a player who will put it up to other teams and not let us get bullied in midfield.fellaini offers something no other midfielder currently at the club does.I would much rather see him doing a DM role than Jones and he can fit into any of the formations we usually play.Best midfielder in the world he isn't but he would he add plenty to our options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

As much as I think that they have been good in a non interfering way (ala Roman) and that once the debt is gone that the club will be rolling in it I have a feeling that they will just start taking bigger and bigger dividends for themselves. I hope not but they are business people after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Quandary

Fellaini is one of the most versatile players in the premiership. He can cover so many positions and the Utd midfield is severely lacking a bit of physicality and bite.

If he could be gotten for 24m or whatever exact figure his buyout clause is then it would be a big reinforcement for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Harpy

I said id give it time before i posted here about fergie..

Still can't believe it.. Sunday is going to be a very emotional day..

When it was officialy announced my first reaction was not moyes, and then i was like not Jose, and not anyone that was mentioned.. I realised i was not going to be happy with anyone they said, no matter who it was, cause they're not fergie...

So after realising that, i was happy with the decision for moyes so was happy when they announced it.. I think he's the best fit, has the personality and he's coming in at a time where he kind of gets to grow with the team..
    He can sell a few players aswell and build his own squad up... I think its the perfect timing for fergie to go, he's seen them all off now liverpol, aresenal, chelsea and City..

Its going to very strange next season not seeing him walking out with the team and in the dug out..

I dont think i've turned off ssn since tuesday night when the rumours first started popping up on twitter..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

The fact he had been saying he wasn't ready for quitting up until very recently. It all came out of the blue.

It "came out of the blue" because United have to keep quiet about big staff changes to prevent insider trading.

That and if the Glazers tried nudging Ferguson, he'd do as his wont and tell them he's staying. I'm sure they insinuated retirement a few times to him before this.

lordgoat wrote: »
    Congrats in a week of idiotic posts this one is the winner.

as hinted at during the week by one of the off the ball lads (talking to vincent browne) it may not actually be true.

The public story is that Fergie kicked a boot that hit beckham.

I have also heard Giggs punched Beckham during an argument which had been building about some woman their mates were involved with.

The off the ball fella didn't mention the Giggs story, but he did make it fairly clear he had heard a different story to the public boot story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Without the fantasy football as they are realistic targets, would people be happy with Fellaini and Strootman as our midfield signings.

Carrick Strootman Fellaini

Kagawa

RVP Hernandez

Nani Kagawa

RVP

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Without the fantasy football as they are realistic targets, would people be happy with Fellaini and Strootman as our midfield signings.

Yes, very much so.

Although I have a strong feeling UTD will be in for Bale so I can't see two CM signings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

as hinted at during the week by one of the off the ball lads (talking to vincent browne) it may not actually be true.

I have also heard Giggs punched Beckham during an argument which had been building about some woman their mates were involved with.

The off the ball fella didn't mention the Giggs story, but he did make it fairly clear he had heard a different story to the public boot story.

Yeah I always thought the boot story seemed like a blatant spoof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Whether he stays or goes, for all he has done, but even for this moment alone, Rooney deserves nothing but appreciation!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

The Star's headline today was along the lines of "LEW in, ROO out"

Brilliant journalism, hoping that people are not able to pronounce Lewandowski's name :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i understand wanting Rooney gone if he's asked for a transfer, as it means his heart isn't in it, and he's not likely to reach the heights he has done.

a lot of his game is about the effort he puts in.

he's still your best player when interested IMO.

SlickRic wrote: »
    i understand wanting Rooney gone if he's asked for a transfer, as it means his heart isn't in it, and he's not likely to reach the heights he has done.

a lot of his game is about the effort he puts in.

he's still your best player when interested IMO.

When interested and fit - which isn't nearly consistent enough for the top paid player at the club! If he had the dedication to his game RVP and Ronaldo, for example, have he'd be right up there with Ronaldo and Messi as superstars of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Kagawa

RVP Hernandez

Nani Kagawa

RVP

Good God yes!!!!!

Yes, very much so.

Although I have a strong feeling UTD will be in for Bale so I can't see two CM signings.

I really feel Madrid will want a big signing this summer and that will make Bale a target. Levy is more likely to deal with Madrid before United and if they want him they will have no problem paying over the odds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭Gorilla Rising

Pj! wrote: »
    To be fair I'm sure many more thought/think the same but now he's appointed the vast majority seem to be getting behind our new manager which is a must. Onwards!

I was against it when I first heard. I suppose it was a knee-jerk reaction to the name rather than the man himself. You just expected a 'bigger' name perhaps.

I'm fully behind Moyes and having thought about it, it looks like the right appointment in the grand scheme of things.

Regardless of what happens in the first few seasons. I think he should be given three seasons to maintain or to recover from a shaky start to his United career.

I am also interested to see how Moyes deals with under performing players. Fergie gave Valencia way too much game time this season despite poor performances.

Kagawa

RVP Hernandez

Nani Kagawa

RVP

If everyone is kept(scholes/fletch probably will leave) ,Strootman and Fellaini would be a great summer of transfers.often takes foreign players a season to adept, as fellaini is proven in the EPL,then Strootman would be able to settle in gradually with a little less pressure than if he was the only addition to cm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

AS and Récord are both claiming that Mourinho was in fact Sir Alex Ferguson's first choice but that the Portuguese coach turned United down.

I am also interested to see how Moyes deals with under performing players. Fergie gave Valencia way too much game time this season despite poor performances.

Just thinking this myself.

Also, I'm (he's one of those cult-type players for me! :D) a huge fan of Anderson's! I'd love to see him regain the kind of form under Moyse for which he was signed in the first place.

Are you saying SAF didn't know what he was doing? :confused:

• Advertisement

Didn't the boot thing happen at half time though?

Seems a strange time for that type of argument to break out...

Timmyctc wrote: »

NjcRN

Hey I never said I bleeved it Im just posting the word on the tweeter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Didn't Ferguson admit it at the time? He said: "It was a freakish incident. If I tried it 100 or a million times it couldn't happen again. If I could I would have carried on playing!"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/2778353.stm

He kicked a boot in a rage after the Arsenal defeat at OT and it cut Beckham above the eye. Not sure what else the press claimed that could have been much different to what had happened?

Are you saying SAF didn't know what he was doing? :confused:

I don't see where in the post where i said SAF didn't know what he was doing.

But yes Fergie didn't get everything right if you think he did get your head out of the sand nobody is perfect. Failing to address the cm was a mistake. Playing Valencia besides his rubbish performances was a mistake. Decisions like waiting til injury time to bring on Kagawa against City was a mistake. Fergie made a lot of strange decisions this season. He was right a lot more than wrong but he made mistakes foolish to think otherwise.

• Advertisement

False 9 wrote: »
    Didn't the boot thing happen at half time though?

Seems a strange time for that type of argument to break out...

Was after full time i thought.

I wouldn't think the argument started over it - but from memory it was a poor performance and there may have been words exchanged between people over that, which then heated up and involved other issues between Giggs and Beckham.

Not saying that is what happened, as I don't know, but it is the story I have heard.

Blatter wrote: »
    Didn't Ferguson admit it at the time? He said: "It was a freakish incident. If I tried it 100 or a million times it couldn't happen again. If I could I would have carried on playing!"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/2778353.stm

He kicked a boot in a rage after the Arsenal defeat at OT and it cut Beckham above the eye. Not sure what else the press claimed that could have been much different to what had happened?

As I said - that is the public story. I have heard rumours that what he said was a lie, to protect the players.

The public (and quite possibly true) story was mentioned on this thread. Early in the week it was said by Ken Early that there are other stories as to what happened to Beckham.

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2013/05/09/woosh/
    Early: “There’s all kinds of stories about what happened to David Beckham. I mean, there was a..Ferguson said he kicked a boot. Maybe he did. There was, there was other stories about it. But it wasn’t a hairdryer.”

Fabio Capello reveals Sir Alex Ferguson told him he quit Manchester United "because of excess stress"
    Why would he tell Capello that. They buds r wha?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Ah right, interesting to hear. Never heard any alternative stories at the time but then again I was only a young fella!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I heard it was between Giggs and Beckham.

Then again unless you're in dressing room you always get few make up stories along the way.

I would have said it's hard to believe that one of the people in that dressing room wouldn't have let that slip before now.

In David Moyes, Manchester United have employed the only manager in the world able to put Rooney back on track

rooney_moyles.jpg
    © Getty Images

"You've been eating too many f****** McDonald's"

The Independent (UK)

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭Munster Magic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

what is general consensus amongst United fans about Ferguson's achievements in Europe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭stesaurus

So Moyes has said he wasn't expecting this and had in fact been planning for next season with Everton. I guess he can't admit to having been approached during his contract but it's looking more likely that this hadn't been planned for long. I think that would lend itself to the prospect of it being Fergie's health.

I came around pretty quickly to Moyes as manager. I still think there are better candidates around but he's a good manager and can do a good job.
    I'm actually pretty excited about the future now. I've said before that I thought Fergie could do with a new number 2 in order to challenge his ideas and push us on again. Now we'll actually get a new manager and probably a number 2 also. I think that's a good thing in some ways.
    A fresh man at the helm with new ideas won't allow the kind of bs we've seen from Valencia, Giggs and Evra (last season). He won't be loyal to players based on past performances. Vice versa it will hopefully give players like Nani and some of the younger players a fresh chance to impress. I'd even go as far as to say Kagawa as Fergie has not used him enough this season, he's easily our most technical player and something we've always missed in the final 3rd.
    We've got a fantastic squad and with maybe 2-3 good signings and a few players moved on or marginalised we can easily be challenging on all fronts next season.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement