Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linksys/Cisco WRP400 Router issues

• 10-02-2013 9:27pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

A few tech questions about the router, as it's not clear from the information I've found on line.

It's a VOIP capable unit. If it's been used for VOIP, there is a good chance that the voice information cannot be accessed without the User name and password, which is not the same as the normal admin ID and password.

That's a problem with some ISP's, they are anal about letting the user have the information, which is a problem when troubleshooting a router problem, especially if the router has to be swapped out for diagnostic elimination.

What I'm trying to find out is first, if the router config is backed up in the "normal" admin menu, does that backup include the VOIP data, or is that backed up separately.

Is there a way to clear the VOIP data tab block, by either doing a factory reset, or similar, to get access to the VOIP area of the router.

Same can be true for the main router firmware, some ISP's are putting a password on that, which then prevents the user from upgrading if a new release is issued by Cisco. Is there an easy way to get round that?

Any other ideas or suggestions on how to get into these areas appreciated

Thanks

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

To reset your router to factory defaults, Press and Hold the Reset button on the Router for 30 seconds, then release the reset switch and unplug the power from your router for 30 seconds, reconnect the power and now try to access the setup page of your Router.

Failing this try ringing Cisco. I think you really need the user and pass to reset it through the web gui though.

Let us know how you get on :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

J have the pass to g3t into the basic router information, so I can do things like backup, restore, and change IP addresses, the basic normal stuff, it's the voice page that's blocked, and now the ISP have also blocked the firmware page, which wasn't blocked, and I'm annoyed about that, as it's not their router, it belongs to the customer. Given their support is in Limerick, and the customer is in Dublin, and I'm in Meath, to have to send the router to them to get basic informaion put into it is not acceptable, so I was hoping to find an easy way to get into the rest of it so that I can clone it onto another router.

I may well have to call Cisco, as their accessible information on line is at times deliberately vague, and for this sort of hassle, I need to get a lot further into the device than the average user.

It will hold for a few days, and I may try a few other options, but I was hoping to find an easy way to crack this.

Thanks

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

J have the pass to g3t into the basic router information, so I can do things like backup, restore, and change IP addresses, the basic normal stuff, it's the voice page that's blocked, and now the ISP have also blocked the firmware page, which wasn't blocked, and I'm annoyed about that, as it's not their router, it belongs to the customer. Given their support is in Limerick, and the customer is in Dublin, and I'm in Meath, to have to send the router to them to get basic informaion put into it is not acceptable, so I was hoping to find an easy way to get into the rest of it so that I can clone it onto another router.

I may well have to call Cisco, as their accessible information on line is at times deliberately vague, and for this sort of hassle, I need to get a lot further into the device than the average user.

It will hold for a few days, and I may try a few other options, but I was hoping to find an easy way to crack this.

Thanks

Try doing the factory reset over the phone with the customer and use Teamviewer. Then there's no need to get it posted down.

I know the company your referring to but their not the only ones doing it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Mr_Grumpy wrote: »
    Try doing the factory reset over the phone with the customer and use Teamviewer. Then there's no need to get it posted down.

I know the company your referring to but their not the only ones doing it.

That is certainly an option, I already have Teamviewer in use with the site, that's what's used to check the mail for them. When they log in remote, they use something different, they don't access via the local machine, I'm guessing they use a different package that accesses direct off their receiver.

My other option will be to stick an old hub between the alvarion receiver and the router and get Wireshark to do it's thing ;);),

If they have to update anything, which they do, I will then be able to work with the information.

PITA, what are they afraid of? It's not as if I can hack their entire network with the data. If I had their radio passwords, that might be a different matter!

Been up to my eyes in another problem altotgether today, a restaurant user who's main fuses all blew last night when the rain got into their circuit breaker board, and the issues that's thrown up, Arrrgghhhhh.

Will keep you updated.

Thanks

Steve

Advertisement