Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Broadband

• 10-02-2013 9:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    I ordered Sky broadband saturday night. Anyone got any idea on how long it will take before the service goes active. I'm switching from Vodafone.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Roughly 2 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

damn was hoping to get it sooner :P

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Amanda212

Same...ordered mine online Friday night switching from utv

tcawley29 wrote: »
    damn was hoping to get it sooner :P

Well, the 2 weeks are max. If they can get the Voda people to put through the port quickly, then you will get an email headed:" Gigantic news - your Sky experience has begun".

• Registered Users Posts: 31 GerHankey

I ordered it on Thursday, got the router etc. in the post yesterday and was told it would be activated this Thursday, so 1 week in all. I'm switching from Eircom though, so I don't know if that makes a difference?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭stevekavo

If you order the lite package can you use sky on demand?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Amanda212

stevekavo wrote: »
    If you order the lite package can you use sky on demand?

I think you can but you would be better off getting unlimited for the on demand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Ooh I ordered mine Saturday, switching from Vodafone too. Hope it comes this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

Hi guys,
    I ordered Sky broadband saturday night. Anyone got any idea on how long it will take before the service goes active. I'm switching from Vodafone.
    Thanks

What was you estimated speed that Sky do?

lewis wrote: »
    What was you estimated speed that Sky do?

5.8 mbps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Toyota1968

Hi all - will be watching this particularly how it compares to Vodafone - I am in stradbally in laois and get 2.5 download and 300 upload with Vodafone - sky estimates 16.6 ???.,...could it be true ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭MJ434

Just to let you know that you need to give EIRCOM 30 days notice if you are switching or they will charge you €41... which happened me...even if you don't have a contract.

MJ434 wrote: »
    Just to let you know that you need to give EIRCOM 30 days notice if you are switching or they will charge you €41... which happened me...even if you don't have a contract.

*Eircon :pac:

Anyone have any similar experiences when moving from vodafone? I ordered sky broadband on saturday 9th and still no modem :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭MJ434

It takes up to 14days.!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

I doubt Sky could be any faster than Eircom. They are using the same phone lines aren't they? And it's not as if they have majorly invested in broadband infrastructure like UPC has.

5.8 mbps

Is that what your getting now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

phoenix999 wrote: »
    I doubt Sky could be any faster than Eircom. They are using the same phone lines aren't they? And it's not as if they have majorly invested in broadband infrastructure like UPC has.

im getting 11 Mbps with sky ,only got 7 with eircom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

im getting 11 Mbps with sky ,only got 7 with eircom

You should check to see what DSL modulation your router is connecting at i.e.
    ADSL or ADSL2. I wonder if Sky are connecting people at ADSL2 for those who are seeing significant speed increases based on what they were getting with their previous provider?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Wils110

phoenix999 wrote: »

At sky the speed they offer is the maximum speed your line can handle its why we do the uan check some providers hold your speed back and then offer to increase your speed for a price,,obviously there is other factors line quality as well and congestion on websites but a lot people I speak to are getting a few meg more some nearly twice as much

• Registered Users Posts: 3 AJC30

Has anybody used sky broadband for gaming?.
    I am not sure it will be better than eircom - same line and I get 11mb on speedtest with eircom and estimated to 11mb with sky.

It seems that total package is cheaper with sky than eircom.
    Unfortunately cannot get UPC in my area.

• Advertisement

Is that what your getting now?

Haven't received my router yet.

Haven't received my router yet.

I meant with who your with now?

I meant with who your with now?

Oh, I'm with vodafone on a 3mb package and getting 2550 kbps download and 314 kbps upload

Oh, I'm with vodafone on a 3mb package and getting 2550 kbps download and 314 kbps upload

I'm with Vodaslow and getting 5mb but, before that it was a dodgy 9mb, but fairly unstable, I'm hoping Sky can do better for me, they estimate I'll get 11mb.

I'm with Vodaslow and getting 5mb but, before that it was a dodgy 9mb, but fairly unstable, I'm hoping Sky can do better for me, they estimate I'll get 11mb.

I'm going into this with an optimistic attitude anyways :pac:
    I'l be giving the sky broadband the full test when I get it (Should Be This Week)

I'm going into this with an optimistic attitude anyways :pac:
    I'l be giving the sky broadband the full test when I get it (Should Be This Week)

Will be interested with how it works out for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

MJ434 wrote: »
    Does the fact that the service is porting not notify them?

Does the fact that the service is porting not notify them?

It works in most cases, but with Eircon strapped for cash, they are using every ruse in the book to eke more money out of the customer. Money-grabbing ba****ds:mad:

It works in most cases, but with Eircon strapped for cash, they are using every ruse in the book to eke more money out of the customer. Money-grabbing ba****ds:mad:

Since your not tied into a contract, why did you pay then?

How can they hold you on anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Ordered last Tuesday, Router arrived Thursday activated and up and running Friday night. Was told the max speed I would get is 10MB have yet to get anything above 1.5 MB, however I suspect the speed test may be wrong based on performance but it is certainly not above 5MB :mad:

I will be contacting them if it does not pick up this week. Other than that pretty good so far

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement