Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Fattes wrote: »
    Ordered last Tuesday, Router arrived Thursday activated and up and running Friday night. Was told the max speed I would get is 10MB have yet to get anything above 1.5 MB, however I suspect the speed test may be wrong based on performance but it is certainly not above 5MB :mad:

I will be contacting them if it does not pick up this week. Other than that pretty good so far

You have to leave the router on continuously for the first 10 days to enable it to settle on the max rate it can. I would'nt be unduly worried yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

After a month of nonsense speeds and umpteen calls saying its sorted I sent them another email last night with a pic of my impressive 0.84 mbps download and told them not to call me unless its sorted.
    I wait in hopelessness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Kristopherus;But they only give you 7 to get out of the contract! Will raise it on day 6 and go from there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

Wils110 wrote: »

At sky the speed they offer is the maximum speed your line can handle its why we do the uan check some providers hold your speed back and then offer to increase your speed for a price,,obviously there is other factors line quality as well and congestion on websites but a lot people I speak to are getting a few meg more some nearly twice as much

Thanks for that. I was wondering why Eircom rang me two weeks ago offering a discount if I extended my contract with them. I get 3Mbps with Eircom. I did the UAN test on Sky website which only gave 3.5Mbps. So my phone line must be crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭ccazza

After a month of nonsense speeds and umpteen calls saying its sorted I sent them another email last night with a pic of my impressive 0.84 mbps download and told them not to call me unless its sorted.
    I wait in hopelessness.

I have the same problem getting around .84 on the sky router but I've plugged back in my old Neptopia router and am now getting speeds of between 3 and 4 which is the max. my line can get. Maybe you could try this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Hareton

Interested in getting this. Can anyone tell me if the 10€ unlimited is just 10€ or are there any line rental charges etc......

Very hard to find specifics on the website.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

ccazza wrote: »
    I have the same problem getting around .84 on the sky router but I've plugged back in my old Neptopia router and am now getting speeds of between 3 and 4 which is the max. my line can get. Maybe you could try this.

I got rid of the old modem

How can I open my DNS ?...I saw it on one of the threads somewhere.

I just rebooted my hub and got 15.5 mbps

ccazza wrote: »

Eircom sent me an 'upgrade' Zyxel router. Piece of garbage. Just reverted to using the Netopia. Much better piece of kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Fattes wrote: »
    Kristopherus;But they only give you 7 to get out of the contract! Will raise it on day 6 and go from there.

Can you cancel after in the first 7 days? If so, might give it a whirl myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Hareton wrote: »
    Interested in getting this. Can anyone tell me if the 10€ unlimited is just 10€ or are there any line rental charges etc......

Very hard to find specifics on the website.

Thanks

€10 is just for the broadband but you have to pay line rental on top of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Siblers;yep you can cancell within the first 7 days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭jeffk

Got a letter this morning, works out around €15 cheaper than Eircom for me.

I got stung with the Eircom drop your package a few Euro a that will renew your contract call, so I knew my when my contract was up and how much to cancel early. Said id play dumb and I rang them and, as of today to cancel my service before 31st July it will cost me €360

The girl ended up giving me €10 off my monthly bill and said it is not a contract renewal, so for other people stuck like me, ring them and you to might get €10 off until your contract runs out. Also you have to tell them a month before your contract ends and put it in written form, hurry up June ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

Got a bill from Eircom today. I had 9 months left on my contract and they only charged me €80 for switching over to Sky. Not bad considering I'm saving about €300 - €400 in the long run.

Got a bill from Eircom today. I had 9 months left on my contract and they only charged me €80 for switching over to Sky. Not bad considering I'm saving about €300 - €400 in the long run.

Lucky you , whats he secret to getting out ? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 exodus69

MJ434 wrote: »
    Just to let you know that you need to give EIRCOM 30 days notice if you are switching or they will charge you €41... which happened me...even if you don't have a contract.

I ordered Sky on the 8th Feb (Sat Nite). They rang me monday morning and said the UAN number i gave them was not correct. So i phoned eircom straight away and the nice bloke on the phone said they have had a few calls about this and then stated that the UAN number was correct and that SKY had to activate the line (I had cancelled Eircom 9months previously) So i rang back up sky and told them what Eircom said. They said they would get back to me, which they didn't "Grrrr". Phoned them yesterday (18th) Nice girl informed me that SKY were not currently Activate lines, and i would have to wait for up 2months before thay could or pay Eircom money to turn it on

So you actually have to pay Eircom 41 squid to turn on the line even if you dont have a contract with them ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

im due to move in to a new house next week im getting sky tv but if the broadband is acting up i think i miht go with upc till its properly up and running, seems very well sh*t atm.

im due to move in to a new house next week im getting sky tv but if the broadband is acting up i think i miht go with upc till its properly up and running, seems very well sh*t atm.

UPC is faster, we're only on Sky because UPC isn't available. You'd be crazy to choose any other ISP, unless you can get fiber broadband with Eircom.

UPC is also offering half price for 4 months on their bundles and a €50 voucher. Offer ends 28 February:

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2055831222?page=157[\url]

Speed is one thing , a download cap is another.
    No point saying its 50Mb or 100Mb and then your only allowed download x amount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Im moving into a new house too and i am 100% getting Sky TV

As there will be no phones etc connected in the new house what do people reckon is the better value(not necciarily cheapest option) for my internet

Also do sky have a download limit per month etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

As there will be no phones etc connected in the new house what do people reckon is the better value(not necciarily cheapest option) for my internet

Also do sky have a download limit per month etc?

As stated in many posts already, Sky Broadband is only available over a standard (eircom) land line.

As for the best alternative, you'll need to specify what area you're in.

cgarvey wrote: »

As stated in many posts already, Sky Broadband is only available over a standard (eircom) land line.

As for the best alternative, you'll need to specify what area you're in.
    So I'd need too get an eircom landline and pay them line rental etc then run the broadband off it?i don't really need or what a landline.

Ill be in ballyphehane in cork city

So I'd need too get an eircom landline and pay them line rental etc then run the broadband off it?i don't really need or what a landline.

Ill be in ballyphehane in cork city

Actually, Sky are paying Eircom the line rental. Sky rents the lines from Eircom. Sky don't charge their customers line rental because they're paying out of pocket - this is how they're taking Eircom's and Vodafone's customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Actually, Sky are paying Eircom the line rental. Sky rent the lines from Eircom. Sky don't charge their customers line rental because they're paying out of pocket - this is how they're taking Eircom's and Vodafone's customers.

They just package the line rental up with some free calls and call it Sky Talk, and this is required to access their broadband service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Got our SKY hub delivered today and we are going live tomorrow the 21st. So all in all it took 8 working days to be delivered.

So I'd have nothing too do with eircom so?wouldnt I have too enter a contract with eircom tho day 1 too get the phone installed?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭jusvi2001

lukesmom wrote: »
    Got our SKY hub delivered today and we are going live tomorrow the 21st. So all in all it took 8 working days to be delivered.

Whom you were with and what speed was getting. keep us posted about the sky bb speed.

Good luck

MrMac84 wrote: »
    So I'd have nothing too do with eircom so?wouldnt I have too enter a contract with eircom tho day 1 too get the phone installed?

Do you have a phone line running into your house? You could get UPC for all I know, I'm not psychic and have no idea what ISPs are available to you.

If having an Eircom phone is available to you, then you can get Sky Broadband. Sky will pay Eircom the line rental, but Sky won't charge you for it, unlike Vodafone - Vodafone also rent Eircom's lines and Vodafone charge their customers line rental.

Eircom own most of the copper bitstream landlines in Ireland, but they allow other Internet service providers rent them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

MrMac84 wrote: »

You better ring Sky a hear what they have to say. If you get a line from Eircom, they are likely to tie you in to a 12-month contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

jusvi2001 wrote: »
    Whom you were with and what speed was getting. keep us posted about the sky bb speed.

Good luck

Was with Vodafone. Cannot tell you what speed we are getting here because even though we were told it would be activated on the Thursday the 21st of February (yesterday), it is nearly Saturday and still no activation :confused:

I rang Sky today and was given a spiel about how the engineers are 'working on it' and it should be definitely up within 24 hours. Here's hoping!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement