Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Same here activation date of Thursday 21st and still on Vodafone. Someone else was active 2 days after their activation date. You also will get an email.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I ordered on the 13th and they haven't even shipped the hub yet, I called and they said they couldn't see any reason for the delay. Not looking good so far..

I ordered on the 9th - the activation date seems to be 2 weeks after so you should get the router a day or 2 before then. In saying that I haven't been activated yet but will be next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭iMyself

Is the sky hub configurable? Does anyone know if you can use it in bridge mode?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

iMyself wrote: »
    Is the sky hub configurable? Does anyone know if you can use it in bridge mode?

Not sure what bridge mode is, but if you use torrents, tough luck.

• Advertisement

Why so?

It's a pass-through mode so I can use my DSL router.

What's the problem with torrents?

Why so?
    iMyself wrote: »
    It's a pass-through mode so I can use my DSL router.

What's the problem with torrents?

Firewall blocks you from connecting to out-bound peers. Downloading from P.B. is okay, but if you're on a private tracker were you need to seed or you'll get banned, you'll struggle to connect to peers.

It's a mandatory firewall, too, and I can't figure out how to make port-forwarding exceptions. This hub is an torrent-uploader's nightmare.

Firewall blocks you from connecting to out-bound peers. Downloading from P.B. is okay, but if you're on a private tracker were you need to seed or you'll get banned, you'll struggle to connect to peers.

It's a mandatory firewall, too, and I can't figure out how to make port-forwarding exceptions. This hub is an torrent-uploader's nightmare.
    All the more reason for bridge mode :-) See if you can find it anywhere in the settings. On my router its a setting called "Mode" and the options are "Routing" and "Bridged". It should be somewhere near settings like Encapsulation, Multiplxing, VPI, VCI.

Let me know if you find it.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 gerardk

I have a similar issue to lukesmum. I placed my order on the 11th. The router was delivered on Wednesday 20th and the box said that I'd be active yesterday (Friday 20th). I only got around to set it up this evening but it wasn't working so I called sky support and they said that they got about 90 calls today saying that people were having problems. I was told that there was some issues with transferring accounts that were supposed to be activated on 21st and 22nd and that it would be sorted no later than midnight on Monday.

Not very happy about this as I also signed up for Sky Talk Anytime and called a relative in the USA today as I thought I had free calls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

GerardK I rang sky today and was told no later than midnight Monday too. Raging here this morning as my son was really looking forward to having xbox live over the weekend. You could tell on the phone the guy taking the call was well used to telling people there was a delay. He told me one or two of the orders (including mine) were delayed and it would be Monday. Couldn't believe it but nothing I can do. :mad:

I'm putting it down to a new service and demand exceeding supply/the orders not being completed fast enough. I'm seeing also problems with people having issues with speeds fluctuating. Reminds me of BT a few years ago then the issues settled down. I just hope when they switch me over they don't plug me into a ADSLAM as opposed to a ADSL2+ one which I'm currently on.

strange but when I turned on my laptop this morning it said the sky broadband was working and there was no yellow error symbol. But it directed me to the sky page saying there was a connection problem (which is has been doing since set up) but today there was no yellow error symbol, I don't know why this is. I turned it off and back on and the symbol appeared again. Hope it comes tomorrow like the guy at sky said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

To all the posters above, could there be a possibility that Eircim are dregging their feet re porting? Are you all Eircom customers?

To all the posters above, could there be a possibility that Eircim are dregging their feet re porting? Are you all Eircom customers?
    Nope Vodafone! I reckon some technician has to physically go to the exchange to move people over or is it all done remotely?

I thought it would be done remotely but it sounds like an engineer physically doing it himself, who knows? Just hope they stick to their word THIS time that we will have it no later than Monday midnight. I reckon we all come back on here around that time to report if we got it or not!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭thecivvie

I did the UAN check on Sky and it says that BB is available in my area but Vodafone etc are saying not. Would Sky have their own lines to exchange?

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭siblers

thecivvie wrote: »
    I did the UAN check on Sky and it says that BB is available in my area but Vodafone etc are saying not. Would Sky have their own lines to exchange?

What speeds did it say you can get? The Vodafone site is pretty rubbish for finding out what broadband you can get.

siblers wrote: »
    What speeds did it say you can get? The Vodafone site is pretty rubbish for finding out what broadband you can get.

Did not say but did say that lite and unlimited are available. I did check with a comparision site and the exchange was listed and several options including sky was available. Ordered so will see what happenes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

I was Promised 10MB but have yet to get above 6mb after a week! Very dissapointing so far

• Advertisement

Got the broadband activated tonight happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭jusvi2001

thecivvie wrote: »
    Did not say but did say that lite and unlimited are available. I did check with a comparision site and the exchange was listed and several options including sky was available. Ordered so will see what happenes

If you already got a landline. sky website will give you the possible max speed

jusvi2001 wrote: »
    If you already got a landline. sky website will give you the possible max speed

Exchange is not upgraded so the order was cancelled. I have a nasty feeling the exchange will never be upgraded sadly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

Do you need to subscribe to sky tv to get the broadband?

Don't want sky tv.

gustafo wrote: »
    Do you need to subscribe to sky tv to get the broadband?

Don't want sky tv.

No. Just a phone line.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I don't see it mentioned anywhere, what's the standard upload speed of Sky BB? Is it 512kb or 1mb? Or does it vary on whether the exchange is "NGB" or whatever?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭naughto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭JoeTurner

Moving from Eircom to Sky at present. Got notification from Sky that service will be active on Monday 4th. The old Eircom broadband is down since yesterday - red light on router and resetting router does nothing. Landline still active though.

Does this mean the service is porting over from Eircom to Sky? New hub was delivered this morning but hopefully I'm not without broadband for the weekend. Anyone have a similar experience???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭naughto

JoeTurner wrote: »
    Moving from Eircom to Sky at present. Got notification from Sky that service will be active on Monday 4th. The old Eircom broadband is down since yesterday - red light on router and resetting router does nothing. Landline still active though.

Does this mean the service is porting over from Eircom to Sky? New hub was delivered this morning but hopefully I'm not without broadband for the weekend. Anyone have a similar experience???
    id plug in the sky hub when you get home and see if it works,i had both sky and vodafone on my line for a few days be fore it went fully to sky.
    i have read in other sky bb threads that people where cut off when they switched but the number is very small,compare to my suitation where i ahd two

• Advertisement

JoeTurner wrote: »

That happened to me but it was a few days after my activation date. I'm willing to bet Sky contacted Eircom because your hub is almost delivered and Eircom cut you off. Plug in the hub. Chances are, you're a Sky broadband user now or tomorrow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement