Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

naughto wrote: »
    id plug in the sky hub when you get home and see if it works,i had both sky and vodafone on my line for a few days be fore it went fully to sky.
    i have read in other sky bb threads that people where cut off when they switched but the number is very small,compare to my suitation where i ahd two

Thanks. I did this today, I was waiting for Vodafone to drop out, but they must overlap the services for a smooth transition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

JoeTurner wrote: »
    Moving from Eircom to Sky at present. Got notification from Sky that service will be active on Monday 4th. The old Eircom broadband is down since yesterday - red light on router and resetting router does nothing. Landline still active though.

Does this mean the service is porting over from Eircom to Sky? New hub was delivered this morning but hopefully I'm not without broadband for the weekend. Anyone have a similar experience???

And if Eircom hit you for their so-called 30 days notice, you can tell them take a walk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭JoeTurner

That happened to me but it was a few days after my activation date. I'm willing to bet Sky contacted Eircom because your hub is almost delivered and Eircom cut you off. Plug in the hub. Chances are, you're a Sky broadband user now or tomorrow.

Got home from work and was back online within a couple of minutes of plugging in the new hub :)

Seems faster than Eircom was - no drops in service at all so far. Have finally managed to connect the Sky box to my phone and can now control it through the Sky Plus app. This never happened with Eircom - the connection always failed.

Touch wood, it looks very good so far and with the price reduction versus Eircom (bill was €73 last month as a result of going over the broadband cap limit) it should be a very good move....

Jaysus, this sounds like an ad for Sky....

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Button09

Im a vodafone customer, where will i see my UAN number, wanna see if i can move to sky broadband

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Button09 wrote: »
    Im a vodafone customer, where will i see my UAN number, wanna see if i can move to sky broadband

At the end of your bill. Log in and view it online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Are SMART Telecom customers able to move to sky broadband yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 gordon hatch

Hareton wrote: »
    Interested in getting this. Can anyone tell me if the 10€ unlimited is just 10€ or are there any line rental charges etc......

Very hard to find specifics on the website.

Thanks

There is a line rental built in to the cost - Sky talktime and broadband with limited monthly usage (can't remember limit off the top of my head) is €30 - Unlimited usage is €40.

Ordered unlimited package yesterday evening. Sky txt me back nearly immediately congratulating me and telling me that the phone line would be activated within 24 hours which it was after another confirmation email but 30 minutes late I got another text informing me that my order could not be processed. I rang Sky and they said there is a problem with the UAN and Eircon - so it seems that either there is a dispute on the UAN being supplied or Eircon just stalling because they're losing loads of customers. Not good for us though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Mits

I order it two weeks ago, chap in sky was very nice and helpful. Went for the 47.50 package. Which is a big drop from vodafone at 86+ a month. The modem arrived a week later and I was given an activation date of yesterday. I did not bother plugging it in until today as I my broadband was fine at about 8mb. I plugged it in today I done a speed check on speedtest.net and got 11mb. Then during the day speed started dropping worst case .5mb and unusable average 4mb. I checked the sky web site for support and it stats speed fluctuates for the first 24 hours and to leave your modem on.

It better improve from 4mb or I will have to make other arrangements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

Mits wrote: »
    I order it two weeks ago, chap in sky was very nice and helpful. Went for the 47.50 package. Which is a big drop from vodafone at 86+ a month. The modem arrived a week later and I was given an activation date of yesterday. I did not bother plugging it in until today as I my broadband was fine at about 8mb. I plugged it in today I done a speed check on speedtest.net and got 11mb. Then during the day speed started dropping worst case .5mb and unusable average 4mb. I checked the sky web site for support and it stats speed fluctuates for the first 24 hours and to leave your modem on.

It fluctuates for the first 10 -14 days. Worry about the speed drops in 2 weeks from now, what's happening is normal.

• Advertisement

There is no option on the Sky hub to set it to bridge mode. The sky hub has limited configuration, you can not even see the username/password or connection details.

I always change the dns to opendns.com so that I can block crap sites from the kids computers but the sky hub does not give you access to thesse setting.

I have a sonicwall firewall and the sky hub is causing problem with it. That is slower connections through the sonicwall than direct connect to the sky hub.

I am not to happy with it at the moment.

Thanks for your reply "Harry Deerpark"
    I just wanted to let people know what to expect. The web site said 24 hours, training speed.

But if it stays slow I will have to get rid of it, even if it is cheaper. Regardless of the 7 days to cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

Same pattern as happened to me, but its vastly improved now a week later ......I'd say give it time :)

There is no option on the Sky hub to set it to bridge mode. The sky hub has limited configuration, you can not even see the username/password or connection details.

I always change the dns to opendns.com so that I can block crap sites from the kids computers but the sky hub does not give you access to thesse setting.

I have a sonicwall firewall and the sky hub is causing problem with it. That is slower connections through the sonicwall than direct connect to the sky hub.

I am not to happy with it at the moment.

Yeah, the hub is a piece of sh.it. I'm going to plug in my Netgear router tomorrow and see if that works.

I was promised better speeds with Sky but my line actually can't hack it, so I switched to Sky under false pretenses. The least they can do is let me away with using a router of my choice.

Yeah, the hub is a piece of sh.it. I'm going to plug in my Netgear router tomorrow and see if that works.

I was promised better speeds with Sky but my line actually can't hack it, so I switched to Sky under false pretenses. The least they can do is let me away with using a router of my choice.

Your going to need a username and password, the VCI/VPI are the same as eircom 35/8. Once you get that you should be good to go.

I will follow this thread to see how you get on. As I was happy with my setup on vodafone with my own modem and firewall. And will switch back to my own modem if I can, once the speed settles down.

Your going to need a username and password, the VCI/VPI are the same as eircom 35/8. Once you get that you should be good to go.

I will follow this thread to see how you get on. As I was happy with my setup on vodafone with my own modem and firewall. And will switch back to my own modem if I can, once the speed settles down.

So long, Sky hub! I'm currently using an Eircom-supplied ZyXEL P-660HN-T1A_IPv6 with Sky Broadband because I discovered my Netgear DGND3300v2 that I bought has the same compulsory inbound blocking firewall setup that the Sky hub has. I bought the Netgear because the firewall on the Eircom ZyXEL router was blocking people from connecting to my torrents when seeding. The Netgear didn't work any better.

One day when surfing torrent-related forum threads on Boards.ie, someone mentioned something about lowering the firewall on the ZyXel router, so I checked it out and it turns out the ZyXEL router is actually pretty good once you lower the firewall - or at least better than my Netgear DGND3300v2 and the Sky hub, so the €80 or €120 I spent on that Netgear is money down the drain, but I'm happy that I now know how to get the username and password so I can use a router of my choosing.

The thing is: I've heard about Sky disconnecting their customers for using different routers other than their own. I'll let you if they do this to me.

Also, if you want to know how I got the username and password, let me know. I'll send it to you via private mail because it involves me giving you a link to another forum.

My speeds and ping are pretty much the same as they were with the hub, so all looks good:

2558551523.png

78117418.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

I may have missed this being mentioned but has the Sky connect lite cap allowance been increased from 2GB to 10GB....?

Just did a line check with UAN number (I'm on an Eircom exchange) and it offered me 10Gb on the lite package instead of the previous 2Gb. Makes their deal a little more competitive for those on Eircom exchanges who are currently with Vodafone.

EDIT: Looking into it - Maybe this was always the case for those on Eircom exchanges.... It's just not that clear...

Sky Broadband Lite (BT Exchange)- 2Gb
    Sky Connect Lite (Eircom Exchange)- 10Gb

I am still only getting less than 1mb download. Two days now. Sky said it could take up to 3 or 4 days for the speed to reach normal levels.

That sound like BS to me. I can not see any technical reason for this delay.

Previously on Vodafone I got a constant 8mb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭selfbuilder1

So long, Sky hub! I'm currently using an Eircom-supplied ZyXEL P-660HN-T1A_IPv6 with Sky Broadband because I discovered my Netgear DGND3300v2 that I bought has the same compulsory inbound blocking firewall setup that the Sky hub has. I bought the Netgear because the firewall on the Eircom ZyXEL router was blocking people from connecting to my torrents when seeding. The Netgear didn't work any better.

One day when surfing torrent-related forum threads on Boards.ie, someone mentioned something about lowering the firewall on the ZyXel router, so I checked it out and it turns out the ZyXEL router is actually pretty good once you lower the firewall - or at least better than my Netgear DGND3300v2 and the Sky hub, so the €80 or €120 I spent on that Netgear is money down the drain, but I'm happy that I now know how to get the username and password so I can use a router of my choosing.

The thing is: I've heard about Sky disconnecting their customers for using different routers other than their own. I'll let you if they do this to me.

Also, if you want to know how I got the username and password, let me know. I'll send it to you via private mail because it involves me giving you a link to another forum.

My speeds and ping are pretty much the same as they were with the hub, so all looks good:

2558551523.png

78117418.png

Can you pm details of how to use a different router with Sky. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 39 AshtownGuy

Switched from Eircom unlimited's €60+ offering to Sky's €40 version, and so far so good, all's well. The last few weeks before switching my Eircom line kept dropping but now with Sky runs perfectly and seems stable around 14.75Mbs, the fastest that I ever had. Yes there was a problem with the order, it got delayed somewhere along the way (teething problems in transfer process) but my Sky Hub worked with my old Eircom line until it switched over. All in all, very happy with the service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

AshtownGuy wrote: »
    Switched from Eircom unlimited's €60+ offering to Sky's €40 version, and so far so good, all's well. The last few weeks before switching my Eircom line kept dropping but now with Sky runs perfectly and seems stable around 14.75Mbs, the fastest that I ever had. Yes there was a problem with the order, it got delayed somewhere along the way (teething problems in transfer process) but my Sky Hub worked with my old Eircom line until it switched over. All in all, very happy with the service.

Did you give the 30 days notice to cancel your phone line? I'm in Ashtown with a combination of Digiweb for BB and Eircom for the phone line. Just sent a cancellation email to Eircom - so should I just wait 2 weeks now and then sign up to Sky as it takes roughly another 2 weeks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭ppshay

How much are people paying? I decided to go for Sky broadband after I saw the €40 price tag, but now they are saying this:

> Package Price
    > Sky Connect Unlimited €20.00
    > Sky Talk €30.00
    > Sky Talk Freetime1 €0.00

Can anybody else confirm if they are paying €50?

I presume this is a BitStream/LLU issue, right?

ppshay wrote: »
    How much are people paying? I decided to go for Sky broadband after I saw the €40 price tag, but now they are saying this:

> Package Price
    > Sky Connect Unlimited €20.00
    > Sky Talk €30.00
    > Sky Talk Freetime1 €0.00

Can anybody else confirm if they are paying €50?

I presume this is a BitStream/LLU issue, right?

Deal i was quoted was €40 Sky BB Unlimited and Talk Freetime (Free Evening and Weekend Calls) and including line rental. Don't know if that is VAT inclusive though.

i still cant get broadband from them - apparently cos I'm with Smart telecom....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

neacy69 wrote: »
    i still cant get broadband from them - apparently cos I'm with Smart telecom....

I'm guessing your not currently paying line rental to smart? (€20.96 + vat). If your not you will need to get a line installed if you even want to switch.

Mr_Grumpy wrote: »
    I'm guessing your not currently paying line rental to smart? (€20.96 + vat). If your not you will need to get a line installed if you even want to switch.

I Pay €30 per month all in to Smart telecom.. my line is with them (owned by digiweb now)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 AshtownGuy

JoeyD wrote: »
    Did you give the 30 days notice to cancel your phone line? I'm in Ashtown with a combination of Digiweb for BB and Eircom for the phone line. Just sent a cancellation email to Eircom - so should I just wait 2 weeks now and then sign up to Sky as it takes roughly another 2 weeks?

Sorry JoeyD I just saw this now, and no I hadn't given the 30 day notice and they've charged me the €40 thing. So annoyed. They argue that they sent me notice of the change via letter 2 years ago and that because I didn't complain at the time, it is assumed that I agree to it. I don't know if Judge Judy would accept that.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Sneachta

I am now with Sky for TV (1 yr contract ended) and broadband (contract only 2 months old)

Can I cancel TV and keep Broadband and phone does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shyboy

AshtownGuy wrote: »
    Sorry JoeyD I just saw this now, and no I hadn't given the 30 day notice and they've charged me the €40 thing. So annoyed. They argue that they sent me notice of the change via letter 2 years ago and that because I didn't complain at the time, it is assumed that I agree to it. I don't know if Judge Judy would accept that.

Are Comreg really allowing Eircom to charge people a cancellation fee for not giving 30 days notice although the minimum period (ie. 12 months) has been served?? :eek:

I thought as long as you have served the 12 months, you are free to switch :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Sneachta wrote: »
    I am now with Sky for TV (1 yr contract ended) and broadband (contract only 2 months old)

Can I cancel TV and keep Broadband and phone does anyone know?

Yes you can

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement