Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Broadband

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

Comreg smozreg.

No addition. Jobs for the cronies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,979 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Just got a new Sky Hub (fecking Sky forgot envelope to post off previous one)..

.. and plugged it in (used new power cable, micro-filter).. and it's veering wildly between 0.80MB - 2.72MB down. Should be getting 3.5MB.

This is really frustrating.. think Netopia box is only way to go now. Need to do that in a few days since my MBA hasn't got an Ethernet port.

Hopefully that'll improve things, or I'll be town between suffering an unstable Internet connection for a tenner a month for the next 10 months or so, or go to another provider and pay 4 - 5 times that for a stable connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Anybody moved to sky without problems?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Senna wrote: »

Yep.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

is everyone's sky's connection unstable just for the first few days or is it just very unstable all the time? Really want to switch over from Eircom but if it's all up and down speeds then i dont see the point in switching.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Im getting well pissed off with sky.
    Our exchange has been upgraded 4 weeks ago to 24 mb yet sky still have me and others i know in the town stuck on 7mb.
    When i rang they said they have to wait for eircom to "pass on details" yet eircom said they have done so already.

Years waiting for something decent in the area,its here now and im stuck with sky dragging their heels.

Im on the sky trial, i must checkout whats involved in cancelling, sick of waiting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Yes, had no problems at all in switching over.Even started early.
    Had a couple of outages but that was down to the local Eircom exchange.
    Gonzo wrote: »
    is everyone's sky's connection unstable just for the first few days or is it just very unstable all the time? Really want to switch over from Eircom but if it's all up and down speeds then i dont see the point in switching.

It may go up & down for about 10 days but should be stable after that.
    Dcully wrote: »
    Im getting well pissed off with sky.
    Our exchange has been upgraded 4 weeks ago to 24 mb yet sky still have me and others i know in the town stuck on 7mb.
    When i rang they said they have to wait for eircom to "pass on details" yet eircom said they have done so already.

Years waiting for something decent in the area,its here now and im stuck with sky dragging their heels.

Im on the sky trial, i must checkout whats involved in cancelling, sick of waiting.

Do you believe Eircom ?
    After all if Eircom were ok then a lot of us wouldn't have moved in the first place.
    Is 7Mb better than you had from your previous isp & is it the most your line could take before the exchange was upgraded ?
    We waited a long time for something decent to come into the Irish market so give them a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,979 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Set up my old Netopia router last night which worked seamlessly when with Vodafone..

.. and it's as unstable as feck!

Have no idea what Sky are doing but they balls something up big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 riccorey

I've had no problems switching to Sky either. My line is capable of 14mbs and I'm getting 13mbs from Sky pretty much all the time. No outages either. Simple set-up also. My Labrador could have got it all up and running.

Happy Days here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

For those of you who have changed from Eircom to Sky, did you phone Eircom to cancel? I got my sky hub today and my Eircom seems to be disconnected and sky is working. Will I have to phone Eircom tomorrow or can i assume it wont make any difference now anyway. I'll have to pay for 30 days notice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭efc67

For those of you who have changed from Eircom to Sky, did you phone Eircom to cancel? I got my sky hub today and my Eircom seems to be disconnected and sky is working. Will I have to phone Eircom tomorrow or can i assume it wont make any difference now anyway. I'll have to pay for 30 days notice?

Sky do it all for you....I switched over on Feb 4th, then got a bill of Eircom a few weeks later, got hit with the 30 day charge, but was in credit, as i had given them a 100 euro deposit when i first got the line put in 3 years ago, got a 40 euro cheque of Eircom today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

Sky will take care of it. I canceled on the 18th of January with 9 months left on my contract, but I was paid up until the end of February, my service with Eircom was cut off at the start of February, so Eircom credited me back for the month of February.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Joe Hart

Finally got setup after weeks of delays.

I was told my line could take 24meg and that I was right beside the exchange. When I logged into my router I see they have set it at 12. Not happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

Anyone having any problems with Caller ID on Sky talk?

Our is activated, yet incoming calls dont show.

Also speeds are veering up and down, a month after install.

Edit: Spoke to Sky Tier 2 guy today, said what Ive got is as good as I can get. Caller ID problem will be resolved soon too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭ppshay

Have Sky BB in a week now. Pretty solid connection between 6.5 and 7.5mb. When they tested my line they said around 6mb. That's after my last provider saying 4mb was the max and getting between 2.5 and 3.5mb.

Still peed off at having to pay €50 instead of €40.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Mits

I am feed up with sky. Broadband installed a month now. Speeds vary from less than 1mb to 10mb. When it works a 10mb it is fine. But at 1mb you can't even watch a youtube video.

The sky hub shows it is connected at 12mb, the slow speed is mainly at night.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

[MOD]
    I'm closing this thread as we already have plenty of threads about Sky Broadband.

Please post about Sky Broadband on this thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056783112
    [MOD]

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement