Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a Handyman

Options
  • 10-02-2013 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a handyman that covers NCD?

Thanks is advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

What type of work would you like done and what part of NCD are you.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

I used a crowd called "The Home Team" before. A chap called Eoin came out. Fixed a really annoying problem with the floors in the house that no one else could figure. The wife was so happy with the job done that she had him come out and do a whole list of jobs that she had been nagging about for a while!

Happy wife = happy peteb2 = happy to recommend the guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭SuperStarHoney

A range of things, leaking tap, painting, regrouth bathroom tiles, install new light fittings, that sort of thing. Based in Rush.

Thanks for the recommendation peteb2, I'll check them out.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'm looking for someone to unblock a radiator and to fix some skirting in place? If they like painting and do it well that's also good!

any recommendations, please pm me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭kaisersoze

I've been using www.tradesmen.ie recently for work around the house I can't do myself

Good service and the contractors are rated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Our Simon, thats what we call him.
    He is the kindest most gentle person ever, and is great at fixing everything.
    If you want his number pm me.
    He does all sots of stuff like that, fixing everything.Hes reliable, you could give him a key , if you know what mean, hes not one to go through your presses.

10/10 AND Im a fussy fecker.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Ive used My Home Fix for a few things.
    Attic Conversion
    Remodeling bathroom (tiling, power shower installed, new sink)

Plan on using them for a garden job when we get into the spring.

www.myhomefix.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Right need helping finding a handyman in Skerries or nearby to hang a mirror.

Mirror is from mirrors.ie and mounting is as per here.

Now I did e-mail The Home Team (recommended above) and I was shocked when they came back with a quote of €70.

From another thread there was also a recommendation for this guy - but the rates on their website look mad to me - €50ph+vat (€61.50ph).

I don't consider myself cheap, just don't want to be ripped off - I work in an accountancy & audit practice and as a senior my charge out rate per hour is only a bit above that.

Seems nuts to me. Anyway just wondering if anyone could recommend someone reasonably priced - I'd assumed this could easily be done for €40.

I only wish I was in anyway handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

To be honest, when you consider travel time & expenses, etc. (which will probably be a significant portion of his costs for such a small job), the rate is pretty good. Accountants, especially a senior one such as yourself, probably don't have to travel 30 mins each way to do a 15 minute job.

I'd do it for you myself, but I won't be home until Thursday & my travel costs from Switzerland are prohibitive. :)

Seriously though - check out the notice boards in SuperValu or Gerry's for handyman services. Or ask the guys at the counter in Skerries Hardware if they could recommend someone.

Thanks Hill Billy and get where you are coming from - only thing I'd add is surely they could organise to do a few jobs in an area at same time. I'm in no mad rush for it to be done so could be flexible in that regard. For example i've a guy coming to quote for small other bit of unrelated work on Sat week as he is in the area.

Anyway thanks I'll prob drop into Supervalu on way home, check out the boards and pick up a skerries news if that fails.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

kennyb3 wrote: »
    I'd assumed this could easily be done for €40.

€40
    -€5 approx for vat
    €35
    -€7 approx for income tax
    €28
    -€2 approx for public liability insurance
    €26
    -€5 approx for fuel
    €21
    -€3 approx for motor tax, insurance and wear and tear on the vehicle
    €18
    -€3 approx for fixings, in my experience your better off binning the fixings that come with these for something better.
    €15

30mins to your house
    30mins at your house - all going according to plan!
    30mins from your house

That would be €15 for approx 90 minutes of his day, €10 an hour, not exactly rich living.

Sorry for the rant but as someone who works in the service industry statements like this really bug the sh!t out of me.

SmallBalls wrote: »
    €40
    -€5 approx for vat
    €35
    -€7 approx for income tax
    €28
    -€2 approx for public liability insurance
    €26
    -€5 approx for fuel
    €21
    -€3 approx for motor tax, insurance and wear and tear on the vehicle
    €18
    -€3 approx for fixings, in my experience your better off binning the fixings that come with these for something better.
    €15

30mins to your house
    30mins at your house - all going according to plan!
    30mins from your house

That would be €15 for approx 90 minutes of his day, €10 an hour, not exactly rich living.

Sorry for the rant but as someone who works in the service industry statements like this really bug the sh!t out of me.

You are of course assuming it's 30mins each way, perhaps read my 2nd post. Again assuming €5 for fuel.

Look as I said i'm an accountant - I understand overheads, gross and net margins. I understand people have to make a living.

€70 to hang a mirror is excessive imho - and it is an imho.

I'm happy to pay €40 or so for what is a 30minute (your assumption) - 45 min job. I think that's reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭robbok

kennyb3 wrote: »
    You are of course assuming it's 30mins each way, perhaps read my 2nd post. Again assuming €5 for fuel.

Look as I said i'm an accountant - I understand overheads, gross and net margins. I understand people have to make a living.

€70 to hang a mirror is excessive imho - and it is an imho.

I'm happy to pay €40 or so for what is a 30minute (your assumption) - 45 min job. I think that's reasonable.

You're not being reasonable, you're just being tight , you're assuming that your handyman can have a load of work lined up around your area so you can pay him a pathetic rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Easy tiger. Don't start making personal remarks. This ground has already been covered. Move on.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Flanz

cathy01 wrote: »
    Our Simon, thats what we call him.
    He is the kindest most gentle person ever, and is great at fixing everything.
    If you want his number pm me.
    He does all sots of stuff like that, fixing everything.Hes reliable, you could give him a key , if you know what mean, hes not one to go through your presses.

10/10 AND Im a fussy fecker.:rolleyes:

Hi Cathy01, Im struggling to find a good handyman for my man and was looking at boards for suggestions when I came accross your one. Its from a while ago so hopfuly things havent changed to much. I wonder if you are still in contact with, Simon, I think you called him, could you PM me his details please. We are in Templegoue. Regards

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Hi Flanz, this is a very old thread and Cathy01 hasn't posted in a while so you'd be much better off starting a new thread.
    Since you're in Templeogue, the Dublin County South forum is your best bet http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=893

Advertisement