Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Stepaside

Options
  • 10-02-2013 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Considering moving to Stepaside in the next couple of months due to work. Just a few questions.

Looking at Parkview/Belarmine area mostly, and I work in Dundrum shopping centre. What's the best way of getting public transport? I see it's like 2.5km to walk to the Glencairn luas stop, I'm okay with that distance but is there any quicker route?

My partner would need access to the m50, how long does it generally take to get there and what's traffic like in the morning?

Also, is the area recommended? I see a fair few apartments for rent in the area, is demand not that high? Is €900-950 on the high side of what they're worth?

Cheers in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

dan185 wrote: »
    Hi all

Considering moving to Stepaside in the next couple of months due to work. Just a few questions.

Looking at Parkview/Belarmine area mostly, and I work in Dundrum shopping centre. What's the best way of getting public transport? I see it's like 2.5km to walk to the Glencairn luas stop, I'm okay with that distance but is there any quicker route?

My partner would need access to the m50, how long does it generally take to get there and what's traffic like in the morning?

Also, is the area recommended? I see a fair few apartments for rent in the area, is demand not that high? Is €900-950 on the high side of what they're worth?

Cheers in advance!

The 44 bus goes through Stepaside village and passed dundrum tc. It's less than 5k so a nice walk for better weather :)
    The m50 is very handy to get to, going south bound head to the other end if ballyogan road, going north bound head for leopardstown round about. Only a few minutes either way.
    It's a lovely area, I really like it. Lived there for years. There's a lot of new apartments there, i think a lot of people moving to the area are buying rather than renting.
    I think it's really the best of both worlds, especially recently with the luas being so close by etc. it's country without being isolated from civilisation :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

dan185 wrote: »
    Hi all

Cheers in advance!

The luas stop in Glencairn is roughly a 10 minute walk from Belarmine.

Access to the m50 will take around 5 -10 minutes depending on traffic and the route taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 gfarnan

Yeah there is a walk way between belarmine and sandyford hall so it takes about 10-15 mins to get to the luas

M50 is very easy to get to, basically beside it, there is a bottle neck at lambs cross, but nothing major

• Registered Users Posts: 17,720 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The 47 bus links Belarmine with the LUAS also.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

lxflyer wrote: »
    The 47 bus links Belarmine with the LUAS also.
    Unfortunately it's very infrequent and pretty unreliable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭BlueFairy

Hi guys I hope you don't mind if I hop on this thread with some questions.

I'm looking at moving to Stepaside and would be using the luas to get to work in the city centre. I see some of you say that there's a shortcut from Belarmine to the luas stop, can I just ask is it safe enough if you're walking along it by yourself at night? I work late a couple of evenings a week and would just like to know if it's a safe enough area to walk home afterwards.

I don't drive so I'd be using the luas or the busses all the time. I like the idea of being in a place that's more like country than city, it seems like there's a nice community atmosphere in Stepaside and that really appeals to me. But would not driving make things a bit difficult, like getting shopping or coming home after a night out in the city centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,720 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Not driving isn't ideal as you have four or five major supermarkets and shops within a 5 minute drive but only one (decent sized) mini market within a 5 minute walk. So doing a big shop isn't the easiest. The market in belarmine has nearly everything you could possibly need, but prices don't compete with the big stores.

The walk to luas is very safe at any time, but depending on exactly where you rent, it could be from 10 all the way to 20 minute walk.

The 47 bus used to be very useful a couple of years ago, then they keep adjusting the route and schedule as well as cutting the number of busses in half. Now it is totally unreliable, takes three times as long to get to the city centre as the the luas, never runs to time and the tracker never appears to be right (if it is working at all!). Most people have given up on it and just use the luas, you have the walk at both ends depending where you are going in city centre, but it turns up mostly on time and if you miss one you only have 10 mins to the next one, not an hour or two.

For nights out, you are fine as long as you are going to aim for last luas which is about 12.25. Later ones depend on the night or occasion. Taxi wise it will be €20-€30 home depending on where in the city you are out. Ranelagh and Dundrum are obviously on the luas for restaurants, movies, pubs etc.

Thanks a million both of you, that's really helpful. My main concern anywhere is that it's a safe enough place, so thanks for the information.

I just had a look at Tescos website and it looks like they deliver out to Stepaside, which would be handy for a bigger shop. I use them all the time at the moment and it's a great service, I just wasn't sure if they'd go out that far. Might make living there that bit easier if I decide to move.

Having a look at an apartment there this week so I'll see what the walk to the luas is like then.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Yep, it's only 5/10 minutes to tesco dundrum so they deliver, superquinn do also from balinteer.

• Advertisement

I didn't know Superquinn were doing deliveries now too, that's great to know thanks. Have to say I like what I've heard about Stepaside, and if I can manage it without a car it sounds like it'll be a nice place to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 moka

The shortcut to the luas is perfectly safe, don't worry.

Thanks guys, I actually got the apartment and I'm moving out there. Love the look of the place so looking forward to settling in :)

Advertisement