Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where can I get fresh crabs in Dublin?

Options
  • 10-02-2013 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭

Hi where can I get some fresh crabs in dublin so that i can cook in home.I mean not crab meat or crab claws in supermarkets but the whole fresh crabs in some seafood shop.Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

One of the fish shops on Howth harbour?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭bazza1

Coppers? Gets coat etc......

Wrights in Howth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

kevincool wrote: »
    Hi where can I get some fresh crabs in dublin so that i can cook in home.I mean not crab meat or crab claws in supermarkets but the whole fresh crabs in some seafood shop.Thanks.

Think there's a place on Moore st, a Chinese place that has crabs in a tank

Friend of mine bought them there once

Sorry I can't remember the name but take a look on Moore st, someone there will know the shop

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

bazza1 wrote: »

Wrights in Howth?

Wrights have them fairly regularly

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭kevincool

Wrights is far from the city centre,maybe i'll try the moore st. one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I'm not sure if they still do but the Asian supermarket at Jervis Luas stop used to have a tank of crabs & lobsters (stacked like they were apples so if you're like me and hypocritically squeamish about that sort of thing it might give you the guilts)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

I'm not sure if they still do but the Asian supermarket at Jervis Luas stop used to have a tank of crabs & lobsters (stacked like they were apples so if you're like me and hypocritically squeamish about that sort of thing it might give you the guilts)

They still have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭FionnK86

I got some from a durty girl from Tallaght:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

FionnK86 wrote: »

Gosh, I probably wouldn't buy shellfish from someone who was visibly dirty. Especially if it was fresh fish & out in Tallaght of all places, it's quite far from the sea. Maybe report her to the Food Safety Authority & be a little more careful where you do your grocery shopping in future?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

FionnK86 wrote: »

HILARIOUS!!! oh..wait..no its not..and someone else already did that joke. and this is food & drink not after hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Yes, and I'd have concerns over the freshness of them as well as the possible unsuitabilty of their storage

One wouldn't want to get food poisoning on sheelfish - it's the worst kind.

I'd be taking my business out to Howth to guarantee freshness

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Try www.kishfish.ie on Bow St, Smithfield

or

www.seafood2go.ie

or for those outside Dublin

www.kerryfish.com who deliver countrywide

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭FionnK86

HILARIOUS!!! oh..wait..no its not..and someone else already did that joke. and this is food & drink not after hours.

THANKS!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

vicwatson wrote: »
    Yes, and I'd have concerns over the freshness of them as well as the possible unsuitabilty of their storage

If they're alive they're fresh!
    They can't be alive and not fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Stribach

Bullock harbour in Dalkey they sell them straight from the crab cage !!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

vicwatson wrote: »

Howth guarantees nothing.

http://www.fsai.ie/news_centre/press_releases/19032009.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

There's a really good fish mongers near/on baggot street, they supply a lot of the restaurants in the area (Thronton's, Forty One residence, etc) and are really good on price, can't remember the name for the life of me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭nompere

Seaneh wrote: »
    There's a really good fish mongers near/on baggot street, they supply a lot of the restaurants in the area (Thronton's, Forty One residence, etc) and are really good on price, can't remember the name for the life of me though.

Mulloys moved to Howth from Baggot Street several years ago.

http://www.mulloys.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Bullock harbor always have good crabs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

nompere wrote: »
    Mulloys moved to Howth from Baggot Street several years ago.

http://www.mulloys.ie

Goes to show how long it's been since I've been in dublin for more than a few days!

:o

• Advertisement
Advertisement