Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

debit visa card

Options
  • 10-02-2013 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

hi have a question here just wondering about my visa debit card (BOI) i have no money in the account at the mo so was gettin a few bits today and when i tried to get cash back the card declined but i said at the shop forget the cash back and just pay for the items and it worked just wonderin have i over used it and cant get cash back? i dont know how exactly it works?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭jammywammy

zebra123 wrote: »
    hi have a question here just wondering about my visa debit card (BOI) i have no money in the account at the mo so was gettin a few bits today and when i tried to get cash back the card declined but i said at the shop forget the cash back and just pay for the items and it worked just wonderin have i over used it and cant get cash back? i dont know how exactly it works?

A debit card takes money directly from your account so it shouldnt work if you have no funds in your account. Unless you have an overdraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 zebra123

have been usin it when there was no money in the account unless theirs a daily limit on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Most likely the shop has a floor limit (i.e an amount under which the transactions do not need to be authorised with the bank) so small purchases under this limit may be approved.

However, they'll still show up on your account and if you don't have sufficient funds when they do, the bank may charge you heftily for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

The transactions will go onto your pending transactions list until your account has sufficient funds to cover it.
    But you will not be allowed cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 zebra123

ok thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement