Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC False Advertising

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Piliger wrote: »
    I have no interest in making a mountain out of a semantec molehill imho - anyone who exceeds 500Gb deserves to get cut off.

Any suggestions on how to make our lives as wonderful as yours?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Piliger wrote: »
    I have no interest in making a mountain out of a semantec molehill imho - anyone who exceeds 500Gb deserves to get cut off.

So you don't care about the meaning of words? So you would have no objection if an ISP suddenly decided that monthly actually meant weekly and your bill quadrupled? And when you rang complain you we're told you are being semantic? Or someone giving you directions tells you to turn right instead of left and sends you miles out of your way because they don't care about the meaning of a word?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Thor wrote: »
    First off, Three's unlimited connection is actually 2TB a month.

http://shop.three.ie/terms/all-you-can-eat-data-terms-conditions/

4. Three continuously monitors network performance to ensure that the service received by customers is not impacted through a minority of users placing high demand on network resources (e.g. large bandwidths over long periods). Should your data usage exceed 15GB in a billing cycle and your usage affect other network users, we reserve the right to limit your Service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

Some shower of cowboys, my 50mb internet is the slowest bar dial up ive ever had, cant even load a youtube video ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

dub45 wrote: »

For me it's 2TB and most of my friends and family on the same all you can eat contract.

240720.jpg

Also, I have gone over 15GB plenty of times and no word from Three!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Not even remotely true.

Typical house of 3-4 people using netflix as their main source of entertainment would break the upc limit no problem.

He no where mentioned number of people so I was talking about 1 person.

Obviously with 4 things are very different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

ED E wrote: »
    He no where mentioned number of people so I was talking about 1 person.

Obviously with 4 things are very different.

That's the point, while I can't say this for sure, if you get a 150Mb line, generally it's either because you download a lot and want it faster or because you share the line.

Either way, 500Gb between the 3-4 people in this day and age is not good enough. Consider the amount of people that are getting letters is only going up, simply because they either don't know about the limit or have no way of even checking it themselves to see where they are at.

Still doesn't give UPC and excuse for lying so directly. No one should even bother arguing that point as it's fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Not disputing that the ads are wrong.

What happens anyways is that if you have several heavy users and go over two months in a row they bump you to a higher package. It happened to a friend. Not sure if you're on 150 do they move you to business though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 dead_tree

Do UPC charge if you go over the 500gb?

I'm currently with Magnet on unlimited downloads (not sure if that's really unlimited or fair usage) but I've not seen any mention of an actual limit on their site.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

If UPC advertised the 500GB limit and not that it's unlimited, we wouldn't have a problem. Although I do think they should be providing us with a way to check our limits ourselves and not have to email AUP@upc.ie everytime to get an update.

I believe you can find out by ringing 1908. Key in your account number then 2 for technical support, 2 for broadband and then 1 for usage. It tells you how much you used last month and how much you used so far this month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

For me it's 2TB and most of my friends and family on the same all you can eat contract.

240720.jpg

Also, I have gone over 15GB plenty of times and no word from Three!

You have repeatedly said 500GB a month is no way near enough. You also have 2TB a month on mobile data, yet with only 19 days remaining in your billing month you have managed to use zero mobile data and actually have slightly more remaining than you started the month with.

are you sure 500GB isn't enough for you?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

My bone of contention with UPC is that they consistantly advertise broadband starting at 50MB basic. My area is only capable of receiving 25MB (upped to 30!!). I also can't avail of HD, remote record or anytime.

I acyually love the UPC service but really want all the additional goodies, it just bugs me every time I hear the advertisement!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    I believe you can find out by ringing 1908. Key in your account number then 2 for technical support, 2 for broadband and then 1 for usage. It tells you how much you used last month and how much you used so far this month.

Thanks for this!

My broadband has been slow all morning and thought maybe I had hit the usage. Checked it there and not even a scratch and I would consider myself a heavy user.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

Nimrod 7 wrote: »

Cheers mate, that works a charm, great tip :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

i dont seem to get an option to enter 2 etc, just says its going to put me through to someone. Do you need to be ringing with a upc phoneline?

i dont seem to get an option to enter 2 etc, just says its going to put me through to someone. Do you need to be ringing with a upc phoneline?

Choose "Technical Support" and then "Broadband"

I used my mobile phone when I tried and it worked

They just put me straight through to customer service, no automated options (apart from the account number part). Maybe its not working atm or do you have to ask someone to put you through to technical support?

They just put me straight through to customer service, no automated options (apart from the account number part). Maybe its not working atm or do you have to ask someone to put you through to technical support?

No..that's really weird. I've always had to go through like 3 or number presses to talk to someone and there would be options to have you account details, usage, offers etc. read out to you. I've never been put straight through to a person after my account number

they must be having issues with the automated service as it worked earlier this morning but going straight to customer service now. Usage seems to be based on bill period not calendar month.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I tried this route for the craic and no automated option to check usage, I needed to talk to someone but they didn't know how to do it for the calendar month (just the last 30days)! eventually found out my usage in the end.
    They mentioned they were working on new portal where you could check for yourself via the UPC website, no rollout period indicated...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Ha, at the end of the call your man offered me an unadvertised (available to existing customers only) offer to bump my 30mb line to 50mb for the same price I'm paying at present (I also have anytime world), just a new 12 month contract, I took it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

slave1 wrote: »
    Ha, at the end of the call your man offered me an unadvertised (available to existing customers only) offer to bump my 30mb line to 50mb for the same price I'm paying at present (I also have anytime world), just a new 12 month contract, I took it :)

Meh, I received that mail last week, rang in and they told me there must be a mistake as 50Mb is not available at my address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

slave1 wrote: »

They told me that was a standard offer. Extend your contract and get the 50Mb.

that broadband usage doesnt seem to be right as its after jumpin over 40gb since yesterday for me (have been monitoring the last few days) and there was only about 4gb's downloaded according to the monitoring programs i'm using (networx).

that broadband usage doesnt seem to be right as its after jumpin over 40gb since yesterday for me (have been monitoring the last few days) and there was only about 4gb's downloaded according to the monitoring programs i'm using (networx).

Does that include all wireless devices? Laptops, tablets, iPods etc. Maybe your neighbours are piggybacking on your WiFi?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I agree that all ISPS should not be allowed mention the word unlimited if it's not really unlimited.

Currently UPC have the best product in the country. 500 gigs is a very generous allowance. There is no need for them to lie. Just because everyone else does it, doesn't mean they should.

Advertisement