Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flights to New York

Options
  • 11-02-2013 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Looking at flights to New York for late September, never been to New York so just wondering who the best airline to fly with would be

Im currently getting a price of about 830 euro rtn for 2 adults with British Airways, flight is operated by American Airlines

Any advice in American Airlines or any other carrier that fly to NY.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

From Dublin you have lots of choice: Aer Lingus, Delta and American (by your dates) fly to JFK, and United to Newark from Dublin. Personally, I'd say Aer Lingus > Delta > American for the JFK flights. United is a good choice too. It's not that American is bad, but the 757 they'll be using from Dublin won't have seat back entertainment etc like Aer Lingus and United have. Delta is hit and miss, depending on what aircraft they're using at a given time it may or may not have this. However, if you're able to bring your own on iPad's or whatever, that's irrelevant.

If you go via London etc, you have more choice. But frankly, I'd pay a little extra and go direct. You also have the bonus of clearing US immigration and customs on this side too which can save a lot of hassle, heartache and queuing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

BuffyBot wrote: »
    But frankly, I'd pay a little extra and go direct. You also have the bonus of clearing US immigration and customs on this side too which can save a lot of hassle, heartache and queuing.

This.

You can be lucky and clear Immigration and Customs in the States easily enough but you can also arrive at around the same time as other international flights and have to spend an hour or more in the queue. Not what you want after an 8 hour flight. Well worth forking out the few extra quid to fly from Dublin.

I found Delta to be the cheapest price the last time I flew (October) and their service was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Blackjack

This.

You can be lucky and clear Immigration and Customs in the States easily enough but you can also arrive at around the same time as other international flights and have to spend an hour or more in the queue. Not what you want after an 8 hour flight. Well worth forking out the few extra quid to fly from Dublin.

I found Delta to be the cheapest price the last time I flew (October) and their service was excellent.

+1.
    Direct from Dublin or Shannon the only way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

BuffyBot wrote: »
    From Dublin you have lots of choice: Aer Lingus, Delta and American (by your dates) fly to JFK, and United to Newark from Dublin. Personally, I'd say Aer Lingus > Delta > American for the JFK flights. United is a good choice too. It's not that American is bad, but the 757 they'll be using from Dublin won't have seat back entertainment etc like Aer Lingus and United have. Delta is hit and miss, depending on what aircraft they're using at a given time it may or may not have this. However, if you're able to bring your own on iPad's or whatever, that's irrelevant.

If you go via London etc, you have more choice. But frankly, I'd pay a little extra and go direct. You also have the bonus of clearing US immigration and customs on this side too which can save a lot of hassle, heartache and queuing.

Cheers, according to the BA site the AA flight will have seat back tv's, the price i got is for dub to nyc direct so i agree better to do immigration here. Seat back tv's not a deal breaker to be honest but wold be nice to have.

Have flown with Delta before and had no problems, just want to see what peoples opinions are

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

according to the BA site the AA flight will have seat back tv's

They don't. Overhead screens in economy on those birds!

http://www.aa.com/content/images/aboutUs/ourPlanes/757-intl-seat-map.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Cheers, according to the BA site the AA flight will have seat back tv's, the price i got is for dub to nyc direct so i agree better to do immigration here. Seat back tv's not a deal breaker to be honest but wold be nice to have.

Have flown with Delta before and had no problems, just want to see what peoples opinions are

Pretty sure nearly all the Aer Lingus transatlantic flights have seatback TV...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭techdiver

Blackjack wrote: »
    Pretty sure nearly all the Aer Lingus transatlantic flights have seatback TV...

Yes, all Aer Lingus A330's have seat back TV's.

Advertisement