Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wreck it Ralph

• 11-02-2013 1:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭

So disney's new film out this weekend is full of video game references.

It is noticeably tweaked in favour of sega and capcom nods. But there are a lot and a lot and a lot of references, especially of arcade classics and so on.

Some might complain that the original characters get in the way of the video game characters etc, but I honestly really enjoyed the original characters a lot and I expected just as much as who framed roger rabbit was pretty much the same (original characters to the forefront, recognisable characters in background or in small parts.

But yeah its very enjoyable and I will say the rules the story places on video game characters are great.

There are nitpicks here and there, some inaccuracies but I really enjoy it. My biggest nitpick gripe would probably be that it was clearly all based off arcades and yet they constantly had sonic showing up, who never really was a big arcade character (ok they had sonic arcade and sonic 1 & 2 were part of these arcade mega drive models) so he looked out of place sometimes, a few other characters like that.

But overall it did feel like the filmmakers loved video games and from the 8 bit disney logo to the very end it showed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

It was ok, once it moves into the Sugar Rush game its not as fun as the first half hour or so, but the many references (wasted on the audience I saw it with, its for people who grew up in the 8/16bit era) are fun to spot, including some real nerdy graffiti in one scene. "Sheng Long was here" made me chuckle, and stuff like the NES pad code being used to open a door. Its a lovely looking movie though, great animation and some funny gags. But it could have been something more, the audience laughed more at the trailer for Despicable Me 2 than the whole film. the end credits are brilliant though stick around for them. Anyone know why Nintendo weren't featured more? prob a licensing thing, which is silly if Nintendo held it up on their part as there was loads of room to fit some of their characters in there, but hey, its a Disney movie with a Metal Gear reference, whats not to like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I think the reason there wasn't more Nintendo in it was because Nintendo wanted a silly amount of money for mario to be in the film and to the target audience he'd be more recognizable than say zelda or samus.

I really enjoyed the film and didn't really mind that it was very focused on the storyline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I actually enjoyed the sugar rush part, the oreo cookies cracked me up and while I was initially worried there would be a lot less video game references, there still were plenty (konami code and mini games etc)

End credits are awesome

didnt see the despicable me 2 trailer before me, we had the paperman short though which was also brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

that Paperman short is gorgeous looking, the cgi but looking hand drawn style is lovely.

anyone spot the
    Leroy Jenkins
    reference? I giggled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

My girlfriend was reading up on that Paperman short and she was saying that apparently a lot of it is actually hand drawn. They merged it with CGI.

As much as I enjoyed Wreak it Ralph, the Paperman short is better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

The game Fixit Felix Jr looked really authentic as a sort of Rampage/Donkey Kong mash up, fair play to the designers for that one. Maybe it'll make it as a bonus game if they release a 3DS tie-in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

penev10 wrote: »
    The game Fixit Felix Jr looked really authentic as a sort of Rampage/Donkey Kong mash up, fair play to the designers for that one. Maybe it'll make it as a bonus game if they release a 3DS tie-in.

It's available for free on I-Pad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

And there already is a 3ds game. Afaik you play through different games that feature in the film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

And there already is a 3ds game. Afaik you play through different games that feature in the film.

My son must've missed that one. Don't tell him though - it's probably junk.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

A videogame based on a film based on videogames????

Not this Inception ****e again!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Wasnt enough Boulderdash.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

krudler wrote: »
    . Anyone know why Nintendo weren't featured more? prob a licensing thing, which is silly if Nintendo held it up on their part as there was loads of room to fit some of their characters in there, but hey, its a Disney movie with a Metal Gear reference, whats not to like.
    It's a Disney Film with an onscreen heart ripping scene!
    Nintendo were surprisingly helpful , especially with Bowser related info from what I heard(even down to how he'd hold his BadAnon coffee mug.TBH I'm glad they werent featured more as too many and it'd turn it into a NES lov in ;)
    Loved it myself. Waiting an age for it to come out here (it was held back four months in the UK and here .. because Disney).
    Yeah the middle kind of lagged a bit , but in fairness its a movie about video game characters , not a 2 hour cameo fest;) (plus Road blasters was part of the plot!).
    One weird thing I noticed though was that Disney used the Gradius start up noise in the trailers
    (in the bit where Felix accidently fixes some prison bars)
    , but not in the movie....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Disappointing. Felt like such a waste spending so much time in the bland yet exhausting Sugar Rush. They had such a wealth of material to work with - and they utilised it well in the opening act and, yup, closing credits - but they just didn't make creative use out of it. And Sarah Silverman just sounded like fingernails scraped against chalkboard for the entirety - purposefully, granted, but no more likeable for it.

Some funny references - the MGS bit was my favourite - and nifty stylistic flourishes (low-res Nicelanders, 8-bit infused soundtrack etc...) but all just dressing up a standard, mediocre kids film. Paper Man >>> Wreck-It Ralph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

penev10 wrote: »
    Flash game by Disney here: http://disney.go.com/games/play3/?content=2006061#/games/play3/&content=2006061

Dunno why anyone would complain that it didn't have "enough" references; any more and it would've turned into an adver-movie (i.e. shíte).

Also also, it has a kill screen if you stick around to the end :pac:
    http://i.imgur.com/GimPX7n.jpg

Advertisement