Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1979 ex RTE VW van

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 rezvw

MercMad wrote: »
    Par-Fit are still around and in the same place, right next door to Coachman's Inn at the Airport. A friend of mine knows the owner well.

I also recall a family friend who worked for RTE OB from the 70's till he retired about 10 years ago. He drove the Bay window VW's and later the Type 3. I could prob get his contact details if you like.
    Yea, I'd really appreciate that as long as he wouldn't mind a call?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Ok I'll see what I can do

I'm not alone...........

I called to a mate a few days ago and he had just been talking to someone who claimed to have an RTE bay. They sent on a few pics and he then forwarded them onto me. I have pics from each angle but as it's not my van I don't want to display all the pics including their reg.
    The van is VERY different to mine and is missing many of the RTE bits which mine has. This one oddly has a sunroof over the cab but I can't tell if it's factory or custom installed.. It only has one roof scoop and this is the only feature which tells me it's an RTE bay. I'm attempting to contact the owner in the hope of comparing both vans. It's a different reg to the van I posted a few pages back so I now have proof of 3 slightly different conversions.

julie2_zps80c3d1fe.jpg

julie1_zps5dca65fa.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

manta mad wrote: »
    correct !!!! top of the class that man :D

what other motors are in the pic ??

fiat 131
    fiat x19 ?
    chrysler or talbot alpine
    ford granada ...

anyone make out what the white car is pulling the trailer at the front side of the granada ?

I think it might be the 16's ne'er do well brother the 12, http://all-carz.com/data_images/renault-12-tl/renault-12-tl-03.jpg

I've just heard back from the owner of the van above. Apparently his was a back-up van and was usually garaged until one of the main fleet broke down or was in for mods or repairs. This may explain why there aren't the same type of mods as my own. A VW mechanic in Dublin told him that he remembered working on his van as an apprentice mechanic and that he remembered it entering private hands in the early 90's.
    Both of our vans are 79's and mine was sold by RTE in 93 so I'm guessing they may have been both bought and sold at the same times. His doesn't have the original brown log book anymore though to confirm this. He also remembers another van around a few years ago and believed it was an RTE bus too. It's quite possible that it was mine though as my log book shows 3 owners in the Dublin area since 93. Mine then went to cork for 2 owners and that's where I bought it from. If it wasn't mine and wasn't the one pictured on page 1 on this thread it means there could be another out there!

• Advertisement

Bump. I'm still after info no matter how small

Over 3 years since I bumped this.... Does anyone have any connections with someone who may have worked for RTE in the 80's? I would love to find some more info on my van.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MDoo157

Hi - my uncle worked in broadcast as a sound technician with RTÉ for a number of years. He thinks the lads in the photos are involved in 'reception investigation ' i.e. Checking the signal in an area most likely in response to a complaint. The blessington location would be near the Kippure transmitter. Apparently it's location and height means that areas nearby might be having poor reception. I will ask him to try to find out some more details. They are a lovely machine - Air cooled tech in Oranmore are very good for parts.

MDoo157 wrote: »
    Hi - my uncle worked in broadcast as a sound technician with RTÉ for a number of years. He thinks the lads in the photos are involved in 'reception investigation ' i.e. Checking the signal in an area most likely in response to a complaint. The blessington location would be near the Kippure transmitter. Apparently it's location and height means that areas nearby might be having poor reception. I will ask him to try to find out some more details. They are a lovely machine - Air cooled tech in Oranmore are very good for parts.

Thank you for the reply.
    I would love to find out any info at all he may have.
    Re: Air Cooled tech... I'm based in Kilkenny so I use VWspares in castledermot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MDoo157

Thank you for the reply.
    I would love to find out any info at all he may have.
    Re: Air Cooled tech... I'm based in Kilkenny so I use VWspares in castledermot.[/quote]

I spoke to him today and he would be glad to help in any way he can. He has a similar ex RTE van himself that has been locked in a shed for the last 30 years or more. We just started to put plans in place to restore it last summer. Hence the trip to Oranmore. His has a very similar history to yours I'd say - 1978 reg, bought by RTE from Park Motors, inside lined by Parfit out near the Airport. It's white in colour too but doesn't have the anchor for the mast. There's a great story to his - I'll let him tell you himself. I'll ask him if it's ok to give you his mobile and if he says it's OK I'll PM you with it. Has your van had much work done recently. Kildare might be a better option for us too we are in Offaly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Tiger31

Renault 16 imo

MDoo157 wrote: »
    I spoke to him today and he would be glad to help in any way he can. He has a similar ex RTE van himself that has been locked in a shed for the last 30 years or more. We just started to put plans in place to restore it last summer. Hence the trip to Oranmore. His has a very similar history to yours I'd say - 1978 reg, bought by RTE from Park Motors, inside lined by Parfit out near the Airport. It's white in colour too but doesn't have the anchor for the mast. There's a great story to his - I'll let him tell you himself. I'll ask him if it's ok to give you his mobile and if he says it's OK I'll PM you with it. Has your van had much work done recently. Kildare might be a better option for us too we are in Offaly.
    That's fantastic news!
    That's at least 3 we now know of that have survived.
    Please send me a pm. I'd be delighted to get in touch. I took mine off the road about a month ago and it's just a shell at the moment. I've been spending as much time each evening as I can in my garage and I hope to have it restored within the year. New panels are already bought, rust been cut out and hopefully by the weekend it will start looking like a van again.

Advertisement