Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cost of living perth family of 4

Options
  • 11-02-2013 3:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

Hmmph, had a nice table set up but formatting gone bezerk.
    Been meaning to do this a while for people looking at moving long term to WA...brief overview of what bringing up a family of 2 adults and 2 primary school age kids is like in Perth at moment. Prices are averaged over a year and then worked back to weekly outgoings. of course not every week is the same and all people are different.
    $90,000 before tax is approx $65,000 after tax based on 2013 tax rates so $90k you'll be comfortable but not well off.
    If you smoke and drink a pack of smokes is about $25 dollars and a slab of beer is about $40-$50 or $7-$10 per drink in a bar so add that on based on your own tastes.
    Also if you plan on flying home occasionally return flights from perth to home is around $10k for 2 and 2kids. Once a year that adds up to an additional $190 a week to save or every other year $95 a week to add to your outgoings.
    We pay school fees for our kids but you may not have to depending on your own postition.
    So...if doing it with no help i.e. no friends/family/accomodation you'd be looking at $20k to get house and car set up then $1200+ a week costs thereafter.
    Please take care when accepting jobs from home, i've seen guys arrive over thinking 60-70k per year is fab, coming from very little at home it sounds good but you could end up in big trouble.

Up front on arrival for 4 bed house
    deposit and 2 weeks rent 2700
    white goods-kitchen-laundry 3500
    seating-beds-table-chairs-tv-lockers 4000
    half decent car 10000

20200 Weekly outgoings - 2 adults - 2 kids
    Rent-half decent 4x2 475
    weekly grocery shop 200

mobile phone x 2 adults 40
    foxtel with sports and kids 20

landline for international calls and internet 25
    household Gas 25
    household electricity 25
    household water 10
    health insurance 60
    petrol 100
    school fees - 2 primary school kids 80
    after school activities-sports-2 kids 60
    car and household insurances 20
    weekend treats-cinema-drinks-shows-fun parks 100
    clothing[/FONT] 20
    1260 per week x52 weeks 65520 after tax

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I propose this post as a sticky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

To be honest, this just makes me really glad I don't have kids and/or a dependent partner!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

catbear wrote: »
    I propose this post as a sticky.

Sure fire way to make sure people never read it :pac:

Advertisement