Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grove Island Student Accommodation

• 11-02-2013 3:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

I might be startin in LSAD in September and am wondering what the accommodation is like? Anyone staying there at the moment?

I read rumors of it being rat infested years ago.. :(

Any help at all would be appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Ollie182 wrote: »
    I might be startin in LSAD in September and am wondering what the accommodation is like? Anyone staying there at the moment?

A friend of mine lived there for 3 years and seemed to love every minute of it. The LSAD students turn it into a mini village all of their own.

Some posts here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71131950#post71131950

Info may be out-of-date at this stage though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Ollie182 wrote: »

Had friends living here up to last year. Grand spot. Never heard anything about rats tbh..its a fairly decent complex imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭you wha?

I lived there for 2 years and loved it. no rats to be seen at all,or id have legged it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 roisinroo

Hi I'm also going to LSAD in september and hopefully staying in grove island. Does anyone know what its like? particularly the 5 bedroom appartements they don't have any information on the website but they are cheeper than the 4 bedroom apartments, just wounding why?

Also whats the social side like? Is it mainly all girls or is there a fair few lads there too? Is there many people from around the country and from far away cause I'm from monaghan so I wont be going home often, is there many other people like that?

oh and how long of a walk/cycle is it to LSAD?

sorry for all the questions :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,671 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I used to live across from it. Bloody noise coming out of it! Lots and lots of drinking going on in the apartments, and you're only 10 minutes or so on foot away from the city centre.

Only about 3-5 minutes walk from LSAD on Clare street.

But to get to the city centre, you go down a narrow path which is locked at one end at night (locked about 8pm I think). When it's locked, you have to walk another way to get to and fro, which takes a bit longer.

Only 1 minute away from a complex with a gym, Supervalu, Chinese takeaway, some chipper, and there's a clinic, pub and off-licence within a couple of minutes too.

No idea about prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Grove is a great apartment block for student accommodation with the way it's all inward looking on the inner triangle. It's very safe there and the lads on reception are dead-on.

It's mostly girls, given the population split of LSAD.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Legendredhead

Talking to the students up there it seems to definitely be the place to go in your first year anyway.
    I had a mooch around the last day i was up, submitting the portfolio, and it seems perfect!
    I might be heading to LSAD too by the way :)
    I'm still kind of stuck between NCAD or LSAD though, hopefully i'll have that choice anyway :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6 iwzinda212

Hey guys.. I've lived in Grove since first year in third year now and LOVED every min! No rats! Serious banter! Really safe with 24hour security. The staff are fantastic, Jody will be one of your favourite people by the end of the year. :)

The story with the five bed apartments is that you'll have 5 housemates but one of ye will have a double bed the other 4 get single beds. Theres no double bed in the 4 bedroom but if you get a corner apartment the sittingroom/kitchen is a bit bigger. So you live with one less person and have a slightly nicer apartment for that extra fiver a week. I've lived on in a 5 bed for the last three years and they're perfect. All the rooms have brilliant storage and a massive built in desk thats perfect for working on stuff for college. Oh and all the rooms are en suites too.

Theres people from all over the country go to the college so theres always a few around on the weekends so i wouldn't worry about that. :)

7min walk to college from door to door..haha

Theres always more girls than boys every year. Still its unbelievable craic I'm so jealous of ye heading into first year, I'd give anything to be going back and doing it all over again instead of going into 4th year! Everyone loves the place and Grove is definitely the place to be for first year theres always a houseparty going on somewhere. Enjoy! :D

By the way... LSAD over NCAD aaaaanyday. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 roisinroo

I am SOO excited to go to LSAD and live in Grove Island! Just wondering how many people are there usually in an apartment? Cause I know there are twin room so are all the rooms twin rooms making it 10 people to an apartment? :eek: I guess not but just wondering :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Gr8loolz

Im going to Lsad and grove island too next year! could anyone advise me on this, to live with girls and boys, or all girls? im a girl btw :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement