Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Season 3 Episode 9 - "The suicide king" [** Spoilers **]

• 11-02-2013 5:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭

Good episode getting everything back on track!

Ending was abit freaky, next week should be good ;)

Andrea as annoying as ever and Michonne had some screen time but didn't say a word I think, in contrast Meryl doesn't know how to keep his mouth shut!

Good stuff all round :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭JayzuzHowiye

Honestly thought this would be a lot better than what it was. Horn killer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

I wish they'd get a new actress for Andrea she sounds so insincere constantly.

Hope daryl isn't out of the pic for too long, Merle would be a great asset if they could get him loyal.

Tyreese is here to stay, I'm not keen on the little whinge bags he's got in tow.

Rick taking care of business, but the end was freaky, anyone feel the guilt he seems to be feeling is a little misplaced, hopefully they chalk it down to pressure and don't start exploring his feelings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭ArtyM

After all the time he spent with the group I think Daryl is going to find life with Meryl tough going. Daryl has changed and grown as a person, Meryl has not.
    Things inside the prison have taken a very wrong turn. Rick had his dodgy moments before, but he would always have listened to Hershel. Looks like we are passed that now.
    The worst thing is that the contenders to replace Rick as leader are not exactly in great shape right now.
    Look promising for them it does not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Pretty underwhelmed by that episode, after the breakout not alot really happened . Daryl chooses his blood over his adopted family , Hershal stuck a few plasters on people , Axel cooked, Carol did the washing and Rick completely spazzed out. Not very compelling stuff .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Michonne is one of the worst TV characters I've ever seen.

• Advertisement

I'm hoping the meh'ness of this episode is down to the need to resolve certain plot points from the finale and not representative of the quality we can expect from the second half of the season .

The portrayal of Andrea and Michonne in the show continues to grate , both were popular in the comic and both are being mishandled here . One wonders did that play into the minds of Kirkman and the decision makers at AMC when they cut Mazarra loose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Michone sucks I wish she would **** off. Looking forward to what the dixon boys get upto on their own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭HTML5!

I wonder will Herschel and Tyrese conspire to relinquish The Ricktator of his leadership....

A little underwhelming I thought too.

Agree about Mischonne. She hasn't been written into the grand scheme of things very well at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭giggii

I must say I wasn't overly impressed by this episode at all, it all just seemed a bit lacklustre... I really hope things don't go down the season 2 route and we end up having another five or so slow moving episodes and a crazy action packed finale tying up what could have been done very well in three good episodes... :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

the baby has lori eyes, i hope it doesn't have shane's ears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

That was the 1st time in 3 seasons i found myself constantly waiting for it to end not enjoyable at all, seemed like a big nothing of an episode to me :/ , Nothing is making sense at all , I mean Rick attacks the prison then comes back without Daryll and Meryll and wants rid of Michonne aswell , I mean the defence is pretty ramshackle at the moment epsecially with the Governor loading up over in Woodbury

where did lori get that dress?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

I Wrote this at end of season 1 in ZS forum
    (.)
    There's hope yet for season 2
    they should just kill the whole cast of at start of next show in a zombie ambush or better yet just put a note up at start saying they are zed meat
    Then have a spin-off show with Daryl and merle against the zeds.
    I think Daryl actually enjoys life after Z-day.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=69580257

Maybe thats where its heading

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

That was horrendous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Well that episode was a bit of an anti-climax. I was counting down the days since Christmas and then the returning episode is "meh".

Nothing really happened at all. Michonne is still extremely annoying even though she didn't say a word. All it took was that stupid facial expression and I hated her again.

Andrea is still a tool bag.

Rick is starting to annoy me, and his imminent mental breakdown is annoying too. I hope there's a revolt pretty soon with Daryll and Tyreese in charge.

I'm hoping Daryll heads back to the prison soon. It's not the same without him.

Overall I'm pretty underwhelmed by the episode. I hope it picks up next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

sad to see Rick's mental health begin to deteriorate, to be expected given that he's held the group together for so long

sadder to see Daryl pick that gom of a brother of his over the group - again to be expected, but hopefully he'll be back soon

never thought I say this, but Carl is a brilliant character now - pity we had to suffer through him being an annoying little twerp for S1 and 2

overall, thought it was an ok ep (but I'd rather an ok ep than no ep at all!)

roll on next Sunday night / Monday morning!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 246 ✭✭mrbrown69

Dialogue and acting ropy in that episode to say the least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

Yeah that was quite the let down... Lacklustre and some very wooden acting. The scenes at the start with the fight and angry mob were awfully unconvincing. I usually enjoy the show but was pretty disapointred with this effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I thought the town was decently populated too, at least 100 people anyway. They said the whole town was outside the governors apartment and when they panned out there was about 30 to 40 people max.

Disappointing episode with not much really going on.

I really hope the Rick breakdown thing doesn't drag on. I thought it had been put to bed after the whole phone ringing incident and him getting it together to go to woodbury looking for Maggie and Glenn but it doesn't look like it.

Whats Glenns problem also? He asked Maggie did they do anything to her before the break in the season and she said no and now he is looking at her like she is filth.

Jofspring wrote: »
    I thought the town was decently populated too, at least 100 people anyway. They said the whole town was outside the governors apartment and when they panned out there was about 30 to 40 people max.

Disappointing episode with not much really going on.

I really hope the Rick breakdown thing doesn't drag on. I thought it had been put to bed after the whole phone ringing incident and him getting it together to go to woodbury looking for Maggie and Glenn but it doesn't look like it.

Whats Glenns problem also? He asked Maggie did they do anything to her before the break in the season and she said no and now he is looking at her like she is filth.

It smacks of the sort of **** you see in sitcoms where they put two people together then decide to put as many obstacles to happiness between them as possible no matter how trite , because you know god help anyone finding happiness in a Zombie apocalypse. I'd imagine its things like this and the handling/direction he seems to be going with Michonne/Andrea that got him(Mazarra) fired.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I liked the episode.

Only part that I didn't like was the little exchange between Tyreese and the "white prisoner" - that was cringey.

Also, who is Meryl?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Didn't think the Ep was all that bad. Maybe people are letdown as they had built up unrealistic expectations during the hiatus?

The group is really falling apart. They definitely need Darryl back and when he returns (as I'm sure he will) will Merle be in tow? Can't see Merle integrating into the group while Glenn and Michonne are still there. After Rick's chat with Hershel I can't wait for the scenes when he finally meets the Governor now!

There was a few annoying things, the 'mob' in Woodbury were almost a spoof of a mob, Darryl leaving was very sudden and Glenn & Maggie's tension seems forced. But things like that and Andrea / Michonne being annoying are not going to be resolved in the space of an episode in fairness.

Also the
    Lori silhouette
    was very creepy imo! :eek::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Also, who is Meryl?

Take it you haven't watched the first few episodes of series 1?

He's Daryl's brother who originally was left handcuffed on a roof by the group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I know Michonne is the strong silent type but I wish she would answer ONE F*CKING QUESTION SHE IS BEING ASKED!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Wasn't hugely impressed, felt a bit fillery but I suppose it sets up a couple of confrontations nicely now with Daryl & Merle loose, The Governor on the warpath, Tyrese's group possibly making a grab for control of the prison and of course RICK GOING ABSOLUTELY BAT SHÍT CRAZY!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Was anyone else hoping Carl might pistol whip some ****ing sense back into Rick? The constant "woe is me" bs is all becoming a bit too much: time for Rick to be killed off?

Sleepy wrote: »
    Was anyone else hoping Carl might pistol whip some ****ing sense back into Rick? The constant "woe is me" bs is all becoming a bit too much: time for Rick to be killed off?

Never gonna happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ladysarastro

Has ickle wickle Beth got a hankering for Rick? Nice little ready made family there for her

Has ickle wickle Beth got a hankering for Rick? Nice little ready made family there for her

That would just be weird! Even for this show! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Thinking that myself, maybe a bit of "Grrr" from Carl as he has a young boy horn for Beth himself.

I'm glad it's back. For a regular episode, it's ok, for first episode after mid season break, it wasn't as "OMGZWOW!!11!!11one1eleventy!" as I was expecting.

Jason Todd wrote: »
    That would just be weird! Even for this show! :D
    Thinking that myself, maybe a bit of "Grrr" from Carl as he has a young boy horn for Beth himself.

Not only that, she was openly flirting with Carl earlier in the season.

Weird

Never gonna happen.
    More's the pity. The "hero" of the show has become a whimpering pussy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

They definitely need Darryl back and when he returns (as I'm sure he will) will Merle be in tow? Can't see Merle integrating into the group while Glenn and Michonne are still there.

They will either have to kill Merle off, seperate him off or have him buy his way into the group - maybe by rescuing Rick against the Governor or something.

I was happy with that episode. I loved the way Merle was causing trouble from the minute they escaped, such a great character.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it?!

Ah, actually it wasn't as bad as some people are saying. I thought it was quite good. It was never going to be as all guns blazing as the mid-season finale. It was just going to be a case of get Daryl out, resolve the Merle situation and then go back to the prison and that's what happened.

I loved that scene when Glen and Michonne see Merle with the others. There was more emotion from Michonne in those few seconds when she saw Merle than in all of her previous ones put together. I still think she'll come good but it is frustrating when she's asked a simple question and just plays dumb.

I like the idea of Daryl and Merle back together if only for so long until Daryl has to get back with the group. It will be interesting to see how that happens and what role Merle will have in it. He was brilliant at stirring the pot about Andrea and the Governor! I can't talk about Andrea anymore, she's just so bad...

The Lori stuff at the end got quite tense, I really felt that you just didn't know what Rick was going to do. Tyreese is really cool, I hope he stays around for a long time.

All in all, a solid 7 out of 10 for me.

By the way, I did find the car thing a distraction, it was way too clean!

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭LandoCalrissian

Have to say I was a little disappointed the episode started at a tidy pace but then they seriously put the brakes on

I appreciate that there were a few questions that needed to be addressed from season finale - but all the same thought on the action side of things it was a little light

Michonne is a complete trout and her character needs to be addressed. There are other ways to maintain a dark or mysterious character apart from having her just ignore ANY question is asked directly and just staring back at whoever asked the question, so fcuking annoying at this stage!

There was absolutely no need to bring Lori back even if only as an apparition
    I will seriously lose faith in the show if T-Dog appears next week

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I would not worry about the pace and lack of action of this episode next weeks will be amazing if the spoilers I read are true. Could be best of the series

It's not the lack of action that bothers me, it's the turning Rick into such a damn wimp that Carl genuinely looks like a better bet for leader atm.

I think Rick needs the breakdown, and he'll come out the other side a completely different man, ready to take on the Governor, on the same level as the Governor.

Also, Rick has been though a lot.

Coma.
    Looking for wife & son.
    Working out there was a zombie apocalypse.
    Finds wife.
    Thrust into position of power, tried to run a democracy.
    Finds wife was riding best mate.
    Gets to farm, has to get group accepted by farmer
    Finds out wife is pregnant
    Finds out out baby is possibly best friend's
    Best friend goes crazy and tries to kill him
    Son keeps going missing.
    Son has to kill best friend.
    Tried to turn democracy into Rictatorship
    Trying to keep group together
    try to find safe place for roaming group
    wife has baby
    wife dies giving birth to baby on undetermined fatherhood

meh, I like the hero to be a hero, not a whinging little emo.

The Governor is no great threat. As it stands they've practically been able to saunter back and forth from Woodbury. If he can keep his cool for long enough to figure out the rescue plan and enact it he can get his **** together the rest of the time too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Sleepy wrote: »
    It's not the lack of action that bothers me, it's the turning Rick into such a damn wimp that Carl genuinely looks like a better bet for leader atm.

9 (or whatever) year old Pharaoh God Boy he is not.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Jeez, I actually feel sorry for the residents of Woodbury; sure they were living in a gilded cage, but I imagine a lot of them accepted this for the sake of safety and security. Who wouldn't in a world like that? From their point of view, they're attacked without warning by a bunch of terrorists / bandits just out to wreck their town & their actions let in some walkers.

So yeah, screw the Ricktatorship; it's a bit of a screw-up when the antagonist faction ends up appearing more sane & rational than the main cast. Sure, the Governors a bad egg, but is he really any worse than Rick & those in the prison?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

pixelburp wrote: »
    Jeez, I actually feel sorry for the residents of Woodbury; sure they were living in a gilded cage, but I imagine a lot of them accepted this for the sake of safety and security. Who wouldn't in a world like that? From their point of view, they're attacked without warning by a bunch of terrorists / bandits just out to wreck their town & their actions let in some walkers.

So yeah, screw the Ricktatorship; it's a bit of a screw-up when the antagonist faction ends up appearing more sane & rational than the main cast. Sure, the Governors a bad egg, but is he really any worse than Rick & those in the prison?

They wouldn't have infiltrated Woodbury if the Governor didn't kidnap and beat their friends to a pulp.
    The Governor brought it on himself by being a murderous psychopath intent on keeping his precious Woodbury all to himself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well I was talking about Woodburys population, not the Governor specifically; it's easy to feel empathy for their situation, when you consider things from their perspective. I daresay many in the prison would be swayed by Woodburys promise, had they seen it with their own eyes.

The Governor is a psycho, clearly, but really he's just a slightly more hardened & extreme version of Rick: oh and he didn't kidnap Glenn - Merle did; and arguably only because of the history between the two of them. Ricks response to this, albeit via Michonnes testimony, was to shoot up the place. Rick was the one who escalated the situation ultimately.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sparkthatbled

Every character in the show has lost someone close to them, why does Rick think his loss is so exceptional? He needs to snap out of it fast because he is becoming more and more irritating. The one thing that has always niggled at me about this show is that there is such a limited number of characters you can get really invested in and when they write characters like Andrea and Michonne this badly you don't want to get invested in them. The group as a whole is easy to get invested in, but when you start picking apart the individuals, it's hard to care about some of them.

To be honest i wasn't expecting a great episode, it had to tie up some loose ends and start some new tangents for the remainder of the season. I'm hoping next week will be a big improvement, and it should be, based on the preview at the end of ep 9. And here's hoping Rick snaps out of it and gets on with the job at hand...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Just as an aside to character portrayal or too clean vehicles, I notice the world is starting to look more post apocalyptic, the road looking like the forest is starting to reclaim it etc...

Also enjoyed that in some scenes you could see walkers randomly in the background, in the forest or on the road, and no one paid them any heed at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

What was the story with the music that played when Rick picked looked at the baby? Was it supposed to imply a realisation that it was Shane's?

This was the first episode that felt "disjointed" by all the back and forth between Woodbury/Rick's Group/Prison.

They handled it well in previous episodes, but not in that one.

Did anyone else think that the walker Andrea shot looked like Greg Nicotero the makeup/effects artist? Looked very like him and he has played walkers before, just curious is all!?

Did anyone else think that the walker Andrea shot looked like Greg Nicotero the makeup/effects artist? Looked very like him and he has played walkers before, just curious is all!?

yeah that was him second time she's killed zombie Nicotero, said so on talking dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Just as an aside to character portrayal or too clean vehicles, I notice the world is starting to look more post apocalyptic, the road looking like the forest is starting to reclaim it etc...

Also enjoyed that in some scenes you could see walkers randomly in the background, in the forest or on the road, and no one paid them any heed at all.

I like that, they know well when to pick their battles, 2-3 walkers off in the distance aren't worth alerting more for, shows how the walkers arent the biggest threat, other people are.

• Advertisement
Advertisement