Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Board repair, options?

Options
  • 11-02-2013 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

I'm in a pickle with a repair needed on a board. Normally I have no problem sorting out dings and I've done plenty over the years to an acceptable finish. The problem this time is it's more a de-lam. an area of the deck about the size of an open hand is depressed. The glass is retaining it's original shape but there is about 1/4 of an inch play underneath. It's still water tight with no cracks but I don't know for how long.

Could someone advise here please? I don't want to go through cutting off a large section of glass if I can avoid it. Would drilling and filling under the glass be an option (as the glass is still good and retaining it would be the safest route)? I'm not sure if filling this area could create more failure points if there were air bubbles... unfortunately it's not a nice board from the local shaper, it came from a shop so the glassing is far from top notch

any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

You could get a pro to look at it. Or you could fix it your self, never done one but from what I read you can either,

strip back all the wax way, drill a few holes in it, you need at least 2 so air can get out but more like 5 to 6. Then pump in some resin and weight it down so that it sticks, and the excess resin comes out. The last thing you want is a big lump of resin in the board but you have to use enought to wet out the whole area. Then put a layer of cloth over the area.

Or you can sand through the cloth around the edge of the delam, lift it out, stick it back down properly and then put a layer of cloth over it, if there is a void under the delam you need to fill it with foam filler.

For the cost of a ding repair kit you may have it fixed by a pro for not much more. ARO boards are in Kerry or Cork why not take few photos and get a price off him?

You could also look up ding repair videos on youtubes bound to find something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

if it were me and it were a board i wasn't too fussed about, i'd give it a go at a self repair. a nice board i'd leave something like that to the pros. i'd tend to go with the stripping back the glass and going again.

give it a shot, always good to try something new in board repair and you'll have some cloth resin etc for the next repair. i glassed in some go pro inserts into a board last year, enjoyed the process as well as the finished result.

let us know how you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dubbrin

I'll definitely give i a go myself, confident to at least get it prepared. Might try filling under the glass first with a Q cell mix. At least the depression will be filled with the right shape should I take off the existing glass and re-glass later. now if the waves will just let up a bit so I can get a few hours at it!

Advertisement