Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late Payment of wages.

Options
  • 11-02-2013 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Not sure what to do, I need my job, especially the way the economy is right now, but 9 of the last 16 pay days have been late (Paid monthly). Every time it's a different excuse. Sometimes it's 1 day late, sometimes, like this month it's more, was due to be in our banks Friday, still haven't seen a penny.

I know it's illegal under the Payment of Wages act, and I know I 'could' walk out and sue for constructive dismissal, but considering the likelihood of finding another job, that'd be just stupid. But at the same time, we living hand to mouth as it is with all the extra taxes and charges the blueshirts have taken, even a day late can leave me with zero in my account, a pregnant wife, a teenager and an infant at home that need to be fed, bills that have to be paid.

Approaching pay day every month has become the most stressful time for me now as I wonder will my loan, health insurance etc all bounce because I have nothing my account.

Have spoken to my boss several times, to no avail, he brushes it aside with the same excuses, unavoidable, was too busy to do the transfer, it's the banks fault, etc etc, he even goes so far as to say, it'll probably happen again too.

I'm at my wits end, Advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Raise an official grievance in writing. Speak to someone in www.flac.ie

EAT is there even if you are still in the job.

Most effective solution would be for you and your co-workers to unionise.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Have you looked for another job?

Late wages are a classic sign that a company is in trouble.

And (you're gonna hate this) - you really do need to have some savings in hand in case something goes wrong, eg you get sick and cannot work. Welfare in this country can take several months to come through, and while the CWO can make interim payments, it can even take some time to see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

As said, look for another job, as the first you'll hear of the job going belly up will probably be not getting your pay and not being able to contact your boss.

Advertisement