Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reports that Pope is going to resign...

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

There's hardly any way to get ahead in the Church [...]
    ...skilfully avoids an obvious bj joke at this point...

Conspiracy Theory Number 3:

"The gheys, the gheys!"
    Italian daily La Repubblica this morning sensationally claims that Pope Benedict's resignation was at least partly prompted by an internal report prepared by three senior cardinals, alleging that various lobbies, including a gay lobby, exercise an "inappropriate influence" in internal Holy See affairs.

The newspaper suggests that such was Benedict’s dismay when presented with the details of the report on December 17th that it hardened his long-meditated decision to resign. The internal report prepared by Cardinals Julian Herranz, Josef Tomko and Salvatore De Giorgi had been commissioned by Benedict himself. He had ordered it in response to the so-called Vatileaks scandal which culminated with the arrest and subsequent conviction last autumn of the Pope's butler, Paolo Gabriele, found guilty of having stolen confidential documents from the papal apartment.

In this morning's article, it is claimed that the cardinals reported that various lobbies within the Holy See were consistently breaking the sixth and seventh commandments, namely "thou shalt not steal" and "thou shalt not commit adultery". The "stealing" was in particular related to the Vatican Bank, IOR, whilst the sexual offences were related to the influence of an active gay lobby within the Vatican.

Last week, when presiding over the Ash Wednesday celebrations in St. Peter's Basilica, Pope Benedict spoke of "divisions" which "besmirch" the face of the church. In a famous homily at the 2005 Via Crucis Easter celebrations in Rome, just days before the death of John Paul II, the then Cardinal Ratzinger had spoken of the "filth" in the church, a comment interpreted by many as a reference to the worldwide clerical sex abuse scandal.

However, La Repubblica claims the cardinals' 300 page report speaks of "Impropriam Influentiam" on the part of various lobbies, some of them of a "worldly nature", reflecting an "outside influence". The Rome daily recalls the figure of papal gentleman, Angelo Balducci, accused three years ago of being a member of a gay ring active within the Vatican and involving choristers and seminarians.

The paper does not explain the source of its information on the cardinals report nor does it provide a direct quotation from any part of the report. Rather it claims that its findings are based on information received from an unnamed Vatican source. A Vatican spokesman this morning had no comment to make on the allegations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

robindch wrote: »
    ...skilfully avoids an obvious bj joke at this point...

Frell, now you made me think of it.

And to keep my post vaguely on-topic, what gay lobby? If the catholic church were any more homophobic it would be shipping gays off to the KZ in Mauthausen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Frell, now you made me think of it.

And to keep my post vaguely on-topic, what gay lobby? If the catholic church were any more homophobic it would be shipping gays off to the KZ in Mauthausen.

I more puzzled by this
    In this morning's article, it is claimed that the cardinals reported that various lobbies within the Holy See were consistently breaking the sixth and seventh commandments, namely "thou shalt not steal" and "thou shalt not commit adultery". The "stealing" was in particular related to the Vatican Bank, IOR, whilst the sexual offences were related to the influence of an active gay lobby within the Vatican.

Married Gays having it off with other married Gays in a State run by celibate unmarried men? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

"Adultery" in the holy sense often refers to any sexual conduct where the participants are not married to eachother.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    "Adultery" in the holy sense often refers to any sexual conduct where the participants are not married to eachother.

Which, as far as the Vatican is concerned, includes all Gays - talk about your no-win situation.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Which, as far as the Vatican is concerned, includes all Gays - talk about your no-win situation.:rolleyes:
    Well it's OK to be gay, so long as you don't do anything about it. That's pretty much as good as calling the priesthood "gay men anonymous".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,329 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Only if they're in denial.
    You have to laugh (in an ironic fashion) though, as it goes like this:

RCC believes god made us all and all our characteristics
    Some humans are gay
    RCC believes being sexually active outside of a heterosexual christian marriage is wrong
    RCC believes priests should be celibate and can pray extra hard for help in this regard
    RCC acts all surprised when some men who according to the RCC have no sexual outlet which is not sinful, join the priesthood.

Hmm...

Scrap the cap!

Pope Contender Cardinal Peter Turkson Says No Priest Sex Abuse In Africa Because Of Anti-Gay Laws

Really? he ain't seen nothing yet.

It's widely accepted that the most incorrigible, difficult, uncontrollable, unstable, psychotic, whatever, priests and religious were usually sent off to 'the missions' to avoid scandal at home.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

This clarifies things a bit.....
    The newspaper said the cardinals described a number of factions, including one whose members were "united by sexual orientation".
    In an apparent quotation from the report, La Repubblica said some Vatican officials had been subject to "external influence" from laymen with whom they had links of a "worldly nature". The paper said this was a clear reference to blackmail.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/feb/21/pope-retired-amid-gay-bishop-blackmail-inquiry

Nodin wrote: »

La Repubblica said some Vatican officials had been subject to "external influence" from laymen with whom they had links of a "worldly nature". The paper said this was a clear reference to blackmail...

'I know bidness is bidness but I see you as more den a bidness partner but also as a friend and as a friend I ask you to cease and desist wit alla dis tret too humanity BS as it is upsetting my Flavio and when my Flavio is upset - I am upset. Capice?'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-21552628
    Cardinal Keith O'Brien: 'Allow priests to marry'

Britain's most senior Roman Catholic has said he believes priests should be able to marry if they wish to do so.

Cardinal Keith O'Brien said it was clear many priests struggled to cope with celibacy, and should be able to marry and have children.

The cardinal will be part of the conclave that chooses the next Pope.

Cardinal O'Brien, who is the Archbishop of St Andrews and Edinburgh, said it would be within the scope of the new Pope to consider whether the Roman Catholic Church should change its stance on other issues, which were not of divine origin.

Interesting. Buuut....
    He has been an outspoken opponent of Scottish government plans to legalise same-sex marriage and was controversially named "bigot of the year" by a gay rights charity last November.

Scrap the cap!

ninja900 wrote: »

Hmmmm... priests who have voluntarily taken a vow of celibacy should now be allowed to marry and therefore break that vow because they find it hard (*snigger*) but gays should not be allowed to marry each other or have sex outside marriage with each other so should remain celibate (or marry someone of the opposite gender whom they don't love/fancy) because some people think gay sex is icky ...

:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

The Catholic Church criticised the charity's award, saying it revealed "the depth of their intolerance" and a willingness to demean people who do not share their views.

The hypocrisy is stunning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Holy ****balls Batman!!
    Three priests and former priest report Cardinal Keith O'Brien to Vatican over claims stretching back 33 years

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/feb/23/cardinal-keith-o-brien-accused-inappropriate

Further to the above news story, it appears the cardinal in question may be a bit of a Ted Haggard case...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21563345

Further to the above news story, it appears the cardinal in question may be a bit of a Ken Ham case.
    Ken or Ted?

Ken or Ted?

Sorry, was confusing my horrifying creationists...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Bets on whether the Vatican will commend the priests for doing the right thing, or chastise them for reporting a superior?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

In a third statement, "Priest B" claims that he was starting his ministry in the 1980s when he was invited to spend a week "getting to know" O'Brien at the archbishop's residence. His statement alleges that he found himself dealing with what he describes as unwanted behaviour by the cardinal after a late-night drinking session.

'You're a fine young Priest. I want ye to co-celebrate a funeral mass with me'
    'O Bishop, I'm honoured. When is the event?'
    'As soon as ye come over here and I bury the baldy fella'
    'Bishop!!! I'm not that kind of Priest'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

That's all a bit vague, isn't it? "He got drunk and kept insisting that I invest in a time-share with him! I just felt so uncomfortable!"

Mr O'Brien resigns to spend more time with his bible:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21572724

I'm going to need more popcorn. Can barely keep up with all the catholic shenanigans lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,961 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

And to believe that Cardinal Brady still has the cheek to carry on. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

Mr O'Brien resigns to spend more time with his bible:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21572724

O'Brien pops up saying that Catholics should think about having married priests, and that the cardinals should elect a pope from Africa or Asia. A few days later the media get hold of the sexual harassment reports. Coincidence, or dirty politicking? I bet the Vatican is a proper vipers' nest come conclave time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,127 ✭✭✭✭Penn

And to believe that Cardinal Brady still has the cheek to carry on. :mad:

Not just carry on, but will also have in say in electing the new Pope.

Because after all, he's such a good judge of character...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,961 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

darjeeling wrote: »
    O'Brien pops up saying that Catholics should think about having married priests, and that the cardinals should elect a pope from Africa or Asia. A few days later the media get hold of the sexual harassment reports. Coincidence, or dirty politicking? I bet the Vatican is a proper vipers' nest come conclave time.

When there's not a gay orgy going on. :pac:

If it gets any sillier there'll be reports of people dressed in white hoodies leaping about the Vatican rooftops and stabbing folks in the neck.

• Advertisement

A few days later the media get hold of the sexual harassment reports. Coincidence, or dirty politicking?
    Hard to say. The Vatican indicated that the harassment report was handed in before Ratzinger resigned. Then O'Brien resigned a few days later, but without either side making it public, no doubt to avoid having it look any stranger than it already is.

Makes me wonder if O'Brien delivered his "Priests should be married" paean since he knew he was dead meat anyway.
    I bet the Vatican is a proper vipers' nest come conclave time.
    Bruce Schneier on the Papal Election is worth reading:

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2005/04/hacking_the_pap_1.html

The conclave uses one very secure voting protocol. Which is amusing in itself, since if the Holy Spirit were really moving the cardinals to choose, then surely the choice would be immediate and unanimous? They could even use a simpler protocol like, well, the Holy Spirit's chosen man just ponying up to the balcony, to the unanimous applause of his fellow-Cardinals seated just behind him.

There must be a reason why this doesn't happen.

Advertisement