Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reports that Pope is going to resign...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

robindch wrote: »
    Hard to say. The Vatican indicated that the harassment report was handed in before Ratzinger resigned. Then O'Brien resigned a few days later, but without either side making it public, no doubt to avoid having it look any stranger than it already is.

It does all look very suspicious.

Three current & one ex-priest coming forward at the same time to tell their stories requires coordination to start with. And then things progress from their telling the Vatican to the story coming out in the press.

We don't know how much jockeying for power was going on even before the Pope's announcement. Were people planning for the succession anyway? Or was the shock resignation not a total surprise to everyone?

If only RTDH were here with his anagramming and photoshop skills. Diurnal Sloth, we miss you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

The Wiki entry is not entirely plausible...
    O'Brien initially intended to take part in the 2013 conclave to elect the successor to Pope Benedict XVI, but he cancelled his participation due to his resignation in February that year..........
    On 25 February 2013, it was announced that O'Brien had resigned as Archbishop and would not participate in the forthcoming conclave
    wiki

...well it seems he had already tendered his resignation as archbishop, due to his imminent 75th birthday. This is an entirely foreseeable event, so there would be no reason to suddenly cancel his participation in the conclave vote because of it.
    Currently, AFAIK, he is still a cardinal, and under the age of 80, and therefore he is eligible to vote at the conclave.

Somebody has scared the bejasus out of him. Making public those allegations (which were submitted in secrecy to the Vatican by his accusers) could be just the start of what they could do to destroy him, if he should be unwise enough to make that trip to Rome.

So what has he done to deserve this?
    1.He has been outspoken against gay marriage.
    2.He has been involved in homosexual behaviour, and out of wedlock too :D
    3.He advocated choosing the next pope from" the developing world." 4.He said there was nothing in the bible or in Christianity to say women should not be priests.
    We know that numerous gagging orders were placed on Irish priests in the last few years by the Ratzinger administration, for the last mentioned "offence" so this seems to be the most likely reason for his downfall, IMO.

Hard to say. The Vatican indicated that the harassment report was handed in before Ratzinger resigned. Then O'Brien resigned a few days later, but without either side making it public
    I think the original resignation was age related, and would not have taken effect for another few weeks. There would have been no need to give any other reason for his resignation to the public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭nagirrac

Sounds to me that they are preparing the way for an ultra conservative candidate and want to weed ot any opposition. Confirmation of how insanely out of touch they are as if they go this route he could well be the last pope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

nagirrac wrote: »
    Sounds to me that they are preparing the way for an ultra conservative candidate and want to weed ot any opposition. Confirmation of how insanely out of touch they are as if they go this route he could well be the last pope.

As they've been selected by either Benny or JPII, I don't think theres going to be much risk of them going for an avowed liberal.

• Advertisement

When there's not a gay orgy going on. :pac:

That's an awful slur. It's not all sex.

There's parading in your best robes round the piazza, making grand entrances through big double doors in the vatican, having a chat with the nice swiss guardsmen, practicing looking serene and holy, watching the soaps, hair, facials and manicure, game of cards with a few of the old crew from back in the seminary.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Nodin wrote: »
    That's an awful slur. It's not all sex.

There's parading in your best robes round the piazza, making grand entrances through big double doors in the vatican, having a chat with the nice swiss guardsmen, practicing looking serene and holy, watching the soaps, hair, facials and manicure, game of cards with a few of the old crew from back in the seminary.....

and no women.

;)

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    and no women.

;)

Jaysus no. These are men of the cloth, equipped with gods seal of approval - the langer.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

and no women.
    I think you'll find they're making the tea, arranging the flowers and cleaning away the dirty dishes.

Would you deny them the privilege of helping out as nature intended?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,329 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Can I be the only person who, every time I hear the word 'conclave', thinks the word 'klanklave' ? :eek:

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

I think you'll find they're making the tea, arranging the flowers and cleaning away the dirty dishes.

oh those arn't women - those are Nuns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

darjeeling wrote: »
    It does all look very suspicious. [...]

It now seems that the four men brought foward their revelations specifically to stop O'Brien from taking part in the election, but that they'd intended going public shortly anyway.

Still, it's definitely one of the more intriguing elections. Up for grabs is the chance to be an absolute monarch with bragging rights to a billion souls. Yet there are no official candidates, and there's no open campaigning. And everything is done with such ridiculous theatricality as to make the Oscars look tame. It would be fascinating to know what really goes on behind the scenes: who's lobbying for whom and for what reward; who's out to stitch up their nemeses, and whether they're feeding the press with stories to do so.

They're showing their true nature by demonstrating their traits - "Listening, welcoming, humility, faithfulness, praise and waiting." So yes, making the tay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,624 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

ninja900 wrote: »
    Can I be the only person who, every time I hear the word 'conclave', thinks the word 'klanklave' ? :eek:
    Well, given that we're now up to 375 posts and you're the only person who's mentioned it - apparently, yes, you can. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

recedite wrote: »
    The Wiki entry is not entirely plausible... wiki

...well it seems he had already tendered his resignation as archbishop, due to his imminent 75th birthday. This is an entirely foreseeable event, so there would be no reason to suddenly cancel his participation in the conclave vote because of it.
    Currently, AFAIK, he is still a cardinal, and under the age of 80, and therefore he is eligible to vote at the conclave.

Somebody has scared the bejasus out of him. Making public those allegations (which were submitted in secrecy to the Vatican by his accusers) could be just the start of what they could do to destroy him, if he should be unwise enough to make that trip to Rome.

So what has he done to deserve this?
    1.He has been outspoken against gay marriage.
    2.He has been involved in homosexual behaviour, and out of wedlock too :D
    3.He advocated choosing the next pope from" the developing world." 4.He said there was nothing in the bible or in Christianity to say women should not be priests.
    We know that numerous gagging orders were placed on Irish priests in the last few years by the Ratzinger administration, for the last mentioned "offence" so this seems to be the most likely reason for his downfall, IMO.

According to the Grauniad he's been reported as stating he was asked to "step down" by Il Papa. Now if a certain British Union of Fascists supporting organ were stating this I'd be sceptical of the report, but the Graun usually restricts its inaccuracies in news stories to spelling and grammar.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Conspiracy Theory 4: Vatican infighting.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21577917

Conspiracy Theory 4: Vatican infighting.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21577917

I'm going to need a flow chart to keep track of all of this...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21415639
    Papal conclave: Runners and riders

Perhaps the BBC could have phrased that better. Or perhaps they phrased it perfectly :pac:

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,127 ✭✭✭✭Penn

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0226/369654-vatican-details-pope-protocol-post-resignation/
    Pope Benedict will keep the honorific title of "His Holiness" after he abdicates and will be known as "pope emeritus," the Vatican has said.
    He will wear a "simple white cassock" and his ring of office as Pope will be destroyed according to Vatican tradition, a spokesman told a briefing.
    Benedict will become the first Pope in some six centuries to resign instead of ruling for life.
    Given the rarity of the occasion, Vatican officials had been holding discussions about what he will be called and how he will dress.
    He will no longer wear his trademark red shoes once he steps down.

emeritus (i-MER-i-tuhs) adjective, plural emeriti; feminine emerita, plural emeritae

Retired but retaining an honorary title.

[From Latin emeritus (one who has served his time), past participle of emerere (to serve out one's term), from merere (to deserve, serve, earn).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Honarary pope?

SCHISM TIME! \o/

• Advertisement

Here's a list of the papaphiles who want to be the next pope.
    (Yes, you did read that wrongly; get yourself some reading glasses) :pac:
    Its not a great article really, but you won't see that headline very often...
    Papaphile of the Day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,624 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

recedite wrote: »
    Here's a list of the papaphiles who want to be the next pope.
    (Yes, you did read that wrongly; get yourself some reading glasses) :pac:
    No, you wrote it wrongly!

It's papabile, an Italian word meaning a person who could plausibly be elected pope, not "papaphile", an English word meaning a person who loves popes, or who loves the pope.

Georg Ganswein Benedict XVI's personal secretary, Archbishop Georg Ganswein - the photogenic face seen in the background of a million photographs - will stay in this post. However, he will also keep up his role as head of the papal household for Benedict's successor. He will be the servant of two masters.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21585674

" And now my young padawan, say hello to my friend Gorgeous Georg, whom you may refer to only as Herr Ganswein. From now on, he will arrive here each morning at 8.30 am with your instructions for the day.... "
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRTKpMcjxCn1qisRSK-yZhSPeprDfakmvGAk10aWCtIECB-TcT9

• Registered Users Posts: 11,961 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

The Last Word just had a piece about Benny's resignation tomorrow, and mentioned that his ring would be destroyed. I died a little inside when they said it was done with a hammer rather than throwing it into Mt. Doom. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I visualised a massive orgy when I read that. Filthy mind...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I died a little inside when they said it was done with a hammer rather than throwing it into Mt. Doom. :(
    If Gimli couldn't break it with a Dwarven axe, I doubt a hammer is going to be much use.

Unless, it's belongs to a Norse god, of course...

Thor_Hammer_Costume.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

The Last Word just had a piece about Benny's resignation tomorrow, and mentioned that his ring would be destroyed. I died a little inside when they said it was done with a hammer rather than throwing it into Mt. Doom. :(

Not with a hammer but by a hammer. MC Hammer to be precise. He's had to explore other means of money making these days.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Not with a hammer but by a hammer. MC Hammer to be precise. He's had to explore other means of money making these days.

He can touch dat?

He can touch dat?

He got to pray just to make it today.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

God fired him, it seems. The exact reasons haven't yet been disclosed.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/the-pope/9890670/Pope-tells-faithful-God-called-him-to-quit.html

Advertisement