Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Again, how much water per day?

Options
  • 11-02-2013 12:35pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 100 ✭✭

A lot of us are probably sick of hearing this one, but I never hear anyone question; 'isn't this amount impractical?' Last I heard, you're meant to drink 8 glasses of water a day, but who'd actually be bothered? I recently looked it up, and according to some Institute of Medicine, an adult male is supposed to get 3 liters of water a day. Does this mean everyone is walking around out there dehyrated?

In my case it's the only fluid I drink and if I only drank when I felt like it, I'd probably only drink about half a liter a day. I go out of my way to drink a liter a day and feel like I'm doing well at that. Any more than that and it just goes straight through me, so what's the point! Isn't it just putting too much pressure on my kidneys, to have to filter out all that water?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

You get water from lots of sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Some institute of medicine = I googled it.

Less time spent trying to ruin your sisters sex life would leave plenty of time for drinking more water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

Drink when your thirsty, eat when your hungry. No point in pumping water into your body just to 'make sure your not dehydrated'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 100 ✭✭Mydayoff

You get water from lots of sources.

Yes, but when they say 8 glasses a day, they don't take this into account. They mean 8 glasses including the water in your food. Aren't I right?

Turtyturd wrote: »

Less time spent trying to ruin your sisters sex life would leave plenty of time for drinking more water.

Lets keep the insults to that thread.. perv

• Advertisement

Turtyturd wrote: »

It says 'the' institute of medicine, which seems a bit vague to me but see for yourself.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Mydayoff wrote: »
    Last I heard, you're meant to drink 8 glasses of water a day, but who'd actually be bothered?

I don't see any reason to force yourself to drink that amount of water.
    If you don't have any dehydration symptoms I don't see the issue.

If your mouth was dry, you were thirsty or getting headaches a lot it might be worth trying.
    But not every human on the planet needs the same 8 glasses, it depends on environmental and personal factors, eg. exercise, how much you sweat, if you've diarrhoea, daily alcohol/caffeine intake etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Yes, but when they say 8 glasses a day, they don't take this into account. They mean 8 glasses including the water in your food. Aren't I right?

Yes,people are under the impression that they have to drink 8 actual glasses of water,they forget that water is in tea,coffee & food.

Tests were done on the effect of drinking 8 glasses & just going about your normal routine while having a cuppa or whatever & there was zero difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

I only drink water when I'm thirsty or when I feel like it, which is nearly always.
    I'm around 6'2" [190 cm] and around 11 stone [70 kg].
    I drink about 4 litres of water a day.
    Else I feel dehydrated/sweaty.

I think the fact that the advice on how much water/fluid to drink is so varied shows how invalid it is. The last I heard, the latest advice was to "drink only when you're thirsty".

And my physio said not to drink a lot of water at once because that would aggravate the kidneys, whatever that means.

Drinking when thirsty seems sensible because humans should have evolved in such a way that our sense of thirst causes us drink the healthiest amount of water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

If you drink more water, maybe your sh|t won't be cementing itself to the side of your toilet.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 381 ✭✭Bad Santa

Humans are supposed to eat the majority of their water intake.

If you are getting between 2000 and 3000 calories from fresh fruit and veg, then you won't need much more water.

Chimpanzees would also soak leaves in water and drink that (it was a source of B12 apparently).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Bad Santa wrote: »

If you are getting between 2000 and 3000 calories from fresh fruit and veg, then you won't need much more water.

Chimpanzees would also soak leaves in water and drink that (it was a source of B12 apparently).

Doubt has been expressed as to how much fresh fruit and veg the OP eats.

syklops wrote: »
    Doubt has been expressed as to how much fresh fruit and veg the OP eats.

Yeah, it must be because I eat plenty of fruit and veg, and on an average day I wouldn't exercise

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

If i feel thirsty i drink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

if you drink 5 pints of cider a day is that your 5 portions of fruit and veg?

lets see the scientists answer that

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The early research said people should drink X amount of water, but the bit people get mixed up is that the water content includes stuff eat too.

The early research said people should drink X amount of water, but the bit people get mixed up is that the water content includes stuff eat too.

That's not the people getting mixed up, but the doctors poor representation of information

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

Bad Santa wrote: »

There's very few calories in fruit and veg. 2000 calories would mean eating about 40 apples.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

That's not the people getting mixed up, but the doctors poor representation of information
    Not the original message was clear

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2011/07/it-is-not-necessary-to-drink-at-least-eight-glasses-of-water-a-day-to-stay-properly-hydrated/
    He believed that the statement supporting the notion, taken from the Food and Nutrition Board of the National Research Council was grossly misrepresented by removing it from the original context. The sentence that followed the one popularized by the Council stated, “most of this quantity is contained in prepared foods,” which was left out either consciously or erroneously, and led to the false interpretation that the requirement needed to be fulfilled by drinking plain water alone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

I try to drink at the very least 2 liters a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 hardmaneddie

too much water can be very bad for you and can put strain on the kidneys Its a relatively new concept for people to be told to drink 2 litres of water a day. Best to take advice from healthy older people who have lived and copy what they do take advice from them

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

If I didn't consciously do it, I wouldn't drink anything during the day. If I don't get enough water I feel headache-y, hot, and have sore eyes by night time. Usually I get up and have two cups at breakfast, a ballygowan bottle-full between breakfast and lunch, two cups at lunch and another ballygowan bottle full between lunch and going home from work. I would have about a ltr during the evening and 500 mls right before I go to sleep. Not sure if that's too much, but if I didn't make it part of my routine, I wouldn't remember to have a drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Tom_Cruise wrote: »
    Drink when your thirsty, eat when your hungry. No point in pumping water into your body just to 'make sure your not dehydrated'

Well that'd work if your body didn't systematically mistake dehydration for hunger...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

I drink 2 litres everyday and it doesn't seem enough, drank too much beer over the years :(

Advertisement