Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PowerLine/PowerLAN compatibility question

Options
  • 11-02-2013 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Quick question..I have two Netgear Powerline adapters, one connected to the router the other connected to PC upstairs. I want to get one more adapter for the PS3 (wireless is poor in the house), am wondering if all brands will be compatible? Most vendors sell them in pairs, I only want the one and have found some single adapters but not Netgear brand.

I think the different brands should be compatible, it's all the same data traffic after all, but wondering if anyone could confirm?

thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

They do not have a set standard like wifi, therefore you cannot mix and match

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Have a look here. Some good info. http://www.frequencycast.co.uk/powerline.html. There are two types - those that are av compatible and those that are not. You can add an extra unit, but try and have the same type at all points, i.e all 85mbps or all 200mbps. More info here: http://www.powerlineethernetadapter.co.uk/

Homeplug is a standard like wifi and devices from different manufacturers are intercompatible within certain guidelines:

Homeplug 1.0 (85Mbps and slower) devices are intercompatible with one another.

All HomeplugAV devices (200Mbps and 500Mbps) are intercompatible. Different brands are usually the same chipset underneath anyhow.

Homeplug AV devices are not compatible with older Homeplug 1.0 devices.

There are/were several other competing standards which are totally different and non-compatible with Homeplug. Homeplug won out and that's what everything on the market currently is. But depending on how old your adaptors are, they may be something other than Homeplug.

So the first thing to do is find out exactly what your devices are.

Advertisement