Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent Oven Chips-Do they exist?

Options
  • 11-02-2013 1:08pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'd have chips max once a week, usually when hungover. Don't own a chip pan and don't want the hassle of making my own although I'm aware there's no comparison between real chips and oven chips.

Anyways, I've tried a few different brands and all have been dissapointing. Was hoping M&S Maris piper chips would be decent, but they were crap.

Do decent oven chips exist or am I wasting my time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,377 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

SQ fresh chips. Gawjus.

Also not sure which M&S ones you tried, some appear to have been half cooked so you're only reheating them. Get the properly raw ones, they're very very good as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I like the ones in lidl which are described as "Steak Cut", dirt cheap 75c per kilo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

Tesco baby blue colour thin and crispy are daycent

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

mike65 wrote: »
    I like the ones in lidl which are described as "Steak Cut", dirt cheap 75c per kilo.

or the lidl french fries... can be done in the oven 20 mins, bake the absoloute sheeet out of them and bang, golden crispy oven chips!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I quite like McCain's French Fries.
    You need a very hot oven and you can't cook too many at a time (single layer).
    They come out lovely and crispy if you do it right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

McCain's do a very expensive product called "gorgeous chips", beef dripping and all that sort of thing, I tried them out and they are very nice indeed, expensive though as I said, available in Tesco's and probably everywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I second Lidl's 'steak cut' - great stuff and probably cheaper than buying spuds.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I think if you want decent chips but no deep fat fryer an air fryer is the only way to go such as the tefal actifry or philips equivilant.

They make good chips, not as good as deep fat fryer but nicer than the oven.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Also not sure which M&S ones you tried, some appear to have been half cooked so you're only reheating them. Get the properly raw ones, they're very very good as well.
    Most oven chips are partially cooked, I have never seen any that weren't. If they are raw they should have to take a good bit longer to cook. Most wedges from frozen only take about 1/2-2/3rd the time as raw room temp wedges due to the parcooking.

McCain's do a very expensive product called "gorgeous chips", beef dripping and all that sort of thing,
    These show as 14.3% fat frozen
    http://www.mccain.co.uk/mccain-products/authentic-chips/gorgeous-chips/

Other mccains are a lot lower, down to 3% frozen. I have rubbed oil on oven chips before and got them to come out a lot nicer, if you want them to taste more like fatty chips then you have to add it, simple as that.

Many people regard oven chips as a lower fat version of normal chips, I think this still goes on and why the companies have so many low fat versions, rather than trying to emulate deep fried chips.

In tesco -Mccain Gorgeous Chips 550G €3.99
    That is more expensive than my local chippers would be per kilo. And the frozen ones will lose water while cooking lowering the weight even more.

I have successfully reheated deep fried chipper chips in the oven before.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Those "gorgeous" chips are very expensive, I said that, the beef dripping gives them a very good flavour though, similar to English chips, that pack for 3.99 would only serve 2 as an accompaniment, the OP suggested they were an occasional treat, I think they'll fit the bill but like you said they might be as well off going to the chipper with that fat content.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

What ever you do, don't get the Dunnes Stores Expensive* range. They taste Ok but stink the house out even worse than a deep fat fryer :mad:

Not sure of the name, I think they were in a gold and black bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Surprised no-one'e mentioned Aunt Bessie's yet. Best frozen oven chips I've tried anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

mike65 wrote: »

Bought a bag today to try them out on your recommendation :p only 69c now, I assume they the Harkest Basket branded ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Aldi do fantastic oven chips, Maris Piper ones. Lovely. Also, quite surprisingly, Weight Watchers ones in the purple bags are possibly the nicest I've had to date!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Aldi do fantastic oven chips, Maris Piper ones. Lovely.

+1, best ones Ive had.

I make my own over chips usually, but only with rooster potatoes. I must try the LIDL ones recommended here.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Bartyman

+1, best ones Ive had.

I make my own over chips usually, but only with rooster potatoes. I must try the LIDL ones recommended here.

+ 1, great taste, and lovely with curry sauce for the hangover

Bartyman wrote: »
    + 1, great taste, and lovely with curry sauce for the hangover

Can you recommend a curry sauce??? Im forever trying to find a good one - I find them all too 'cornfloury' or something!

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

+1 for Aldi maris pipers.

Green Isle chunky in purple bag are lovely also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i love the aldi ones in the red bag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Had some of them tonight, they were very nice I have to say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I found the aldi Maris piper ones too thick. I like the lidl steak house ones. Otherwise I cut my own, stick them in a plastic bag with some, not much, oil, salt and pepper. Put them in the oven at 200oc and they're ready in about 25 mins.

Otherwise I cut my own, stick them in a plastic bag with some, not much, oil, salt and pepper. Put them in the oven at 200oc and they're ready in about 25 mins.

I do my own (roosters only) by chipping them, into a pot of water, bring to boil, empty the water, add a drop of oil, pepper (no salt as i salt them cooked) lid on and shake it all about (get nice fluffy edges that crisp lovely when in oven), and onto a pizza tray, single layer, then into the oven on hottest for 20 mins, turn and give another 15 mins or so (you know by looking at them, my oven isnt the hottest).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

I do my own (roosters only) by chipping them, into a pot of water, bring to boil, empty the water, add a drop of oil, pepper (no salt as i salt them cooked) lid on and shake it all about (get nice fluffy edges that crisp lovely when in oven), and onto a pizza tray, single layer, then into the oven on hottest for 20 mins, turn and give another 15 mins or so (you know by looking at them, my oven isnt the hottest).

But you are essentially making your own chips. Which is great and no doubt they are tasty but I was looking for something I can throw in the oven and be done in 20 mins. No hassle, hangover chips!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,584 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I like the McCain thick cut ones - not the very expensive ones, tho they are still not cheap.

ebixa82 wrote: »
    But you are essentially making your own chips. Which is great and no doubt they are tasty but I was looking for something I can throw in the oven and be done in 20 mins. No hassle, hangover chips!

Yes, I was just sharing method, but it was a little off topic. Im off to LIDL today and gonna try out the steak chips mentioned here myself.

I should have mentioned in my method - I leave the skins on, tasty and crunchy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

I should have mentioned in my method - I leave the skins on, tasty and crunchy!

Ah come on now !!!! They are not chips theyr'e diet* spicey wedges your describing :eek::eek:

*non spicey

Just yanking your chain :D:D:D

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Ah come on now !!!!

Alright alright, bought the LIDL ones today, will report back........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I don't have a deep fat frier either but if you are only going to eat chips once a week then deep fried is no harm. Pour the crisp n dry into a large wok or pot and store in an airtight jar for the other 6 days a week you're not eating chips.

Parboil
    fry
    chill
    fry

Bateman wrote: »
    I don't have a deep fat frier either but if you are only going to eat chips once a week then deep fried is no harm.

Yikes!!! Devils food!! We only allow ourselves a takeaway once a month, so deep fried would be considered very bad in our house!!

I tried the LIDL oven steak chips. They were ok. I prefer the ALDI ones. I prefer my homemade ones even more. I really only use chips as a vehicle to hold salt and vinegar so they did the job but theyre not the best Ive had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I make my own and they are DELISH! I cut my potatoes into thick chips, spray in frylight and season with garlic salt and a little bit of paprika.....absolutely scrumptious! Whack in oven for +30 mins.....mmmm

Advertisement