Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent Oven Chips-Do they exist?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Merkin wrote: »
    I make my own and they are DELISH! I cut my potatoes into thick chips, spray in frylight and season with garlic salt and a little bit of paprika.....absolutely scrumptious! Whack in oven for +30 mins.....mmmm

Making your own is undoubtedly the way to go but in fairness that's not what the OP was asking! Making your own is a little more time consuming and there are occasions where you just want the convenience of opening a bag and chucking them in the oven. It would be great if we could all cook everything homemade from scratch all the time but it's not always an option (and it's definitely not an option if you don't have any potatoes left, hence the fact that a bag of decent frozen chips is always a useful thing to have in the freezer)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

aidan24326 wrote: »

Making your own is undoubtedly the way to go but in fairness that's not what the OP was asking! Making your own is a little more time consuming and there are occasions where you just want the convenience of opening a bag and chucking them in the oven. It would be great if we could all cook everything homemade from scratch all the time but it's not always an option (and it's definitely not an option if you don't have any potatoes left, hence the fact that a bag of decent frozen chips is always a useful thing to have in the freezer)

In fairness cutting a few potatoes into chip shapes isn't exactly labour intensive but yes, I get your point :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Surprised no-one'e mentioned Aunt Bessie's yet. Best frozen oven chips I've tried anyway.
    Seconded.

I actually prefer oven chips to most fried chips, although when you get very good fried chips they are unbeatable.

Protip, if you own one of those pizza trays with all the holes in cook your frozen chips on them rather than a conventional oven tray. They take less time and cook far more evenly without having the hassle of trying to shake them or turn each one over individually (lol).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Merkin wrote: »
    In fairness cutting a few potatoes into chip shapes isn't exactly labour intensive but yes, I get your point :)

I know it's not exactly a major job but it does take that little bit of extra time if you like your potatoes peeled, then parboiled etc. It's worth the bit of extra time when you have the time but a good oven chip can be a useful alternative if you just want something relatively quick and easy.

Seconded.

I actually prefer oven chips to most fried chips, although when you get very good fried chips they are unbeatable.

Finally someone who has seen the light! In fairness Aunt Bessie's aren't widely available and I've only ever bought them from Tesco.

Fried chips (good ones) are almost always better but in fairness oven chips have come a long way from the awful stuff that passed for oven chips in the 80's when I was a kid. My god they were bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

165047.jpg

These are the best imo, very tasty chip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

You don't need to parboil homemade oven chips. IMO.

Turn oven on, put empty tray into oven allow to heat up (I put it up full at this stage and turn it down to about 180C). (10 to 15 mins)

Peel two large potatoes
    Chip them
    Drizzle with oil
    optional: add-> pepper, salt and some mixed herbs

Throw on to heated baking tray leave to cook for 20 mins @ 180c.

If you are going to be lazy don't peel them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

We don't use a chip pan/deep fat fryer in our house, so whenever we do chips they're oven chips. I prefer the McCains Rustic oven chips but Mr Pumpkinseeds likes the McCains thin and crispy ones so we end up cooking a tray with half and half.

Advertisement