Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sellotanta Cup 11/2/2013

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 54,113 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Is the Linfield game on TV tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Surprised if City can't finish the job tomorrow.

The fact we have no centre halves puts us in a bit of bother. Dennehy is injured (get used to that Im told), Spillane suspended, Dan Murray is tied up with work and Kev Murray has flu (I think).

Gary Buckley can play at CB but it is not ideal. Colin Healy is also injured. So maybe Neal Horgan.

Crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

awec wrote: »
    Is the Linfield game on TV tonight?
    Setanta Ireland 7pm. The Shamrock Rovers game is on at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Looking like a whitewash of Irish League sides.

Cork City now 2up!!!!!

The 2 Daryls!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Cork City now 2up!!!!!

The 2 Daryls!

Lovely!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Just checked livescore for the latest, I sniggered (because I'm a big child) when I saw the name of Linfield's scorer: B.J. Burns.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Cork City now 2up!!!!!

The 2 Daryls!
    Yip, looks like 4 LOI sides in the semi finals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

4-0 at half time in the Showgrounds to the Rovers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

irish-stew wrote: »
    4-0 at half time in the Showgrounds to the Rovers.

Final Score. 5-0.

:D

Cork winning 3-1 in end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Can any Pats fans explain how Glentoran managed to beat ye over 2 legs? They are shocking.

You played a weak XI surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

Linfield are just awful. We played poorly at times and seemed to just keep the ball across the back four. Every mistake we made was just gifted back. No idea how we didnt score more, hit the crossbar twice, one off the line and so many good chances going a begging.

Two or more required medical attention within the section. I assume alcohol related, one took off in an ambulance.

They raised a union jack and linfield flag when they were kept back, no riot police in the ground. Wonder how the PSNI will treat us on monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Can any Pats fans explain how Glentoran managed to beat ye over 2 legs? They are shocking.

You played a weak XI surely?

Nope full team both legs, we were not very good against them. They played a weakened team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Ebbs wrote: »
    Linfield are just awful. We played poorly at times and seemed to just keep the ball across the back four. Every mistake we made was just gifted back. No idea how we didnt score more, hit the crossbar twice, one off the line and so many good chances going a begging.

Two or more required medical attention within the section. I assume alcohol related, one took off in an ambulance.

They raised a union jack and linfield flag when they were kept back, no riot police in the ground. Wonder how the PSNI will treat us on monday.

ye should be more worried how the locals treat you

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Linfield's two centre halves were terrible. Grey haired no 5, gave away the free for the first goal, gave away the ball for the third or fourth and was asleep for the 2nd cross for the second goal.

I didn't think it was a penalty. Foran looks excellent. How fast is he?

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Lonesome Boatman

Well done to Shamrock Rovers, enjoyed the game. More entertaining than some EPL games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Oatesy23 wrote: »

Shouldn't have counted anyway - he was abotu three yards inside the box when the kick is taken...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Doyle makes a fuss about encroachment before the penalty, then looks at the keeper when the penalty is being taken, missing the Rovers players encroaching and the Linfield player who misses..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,351 ✭✭✭magherakid

Great fans Linfield

Less than 100 at the Glentoran - Rovers game according to extratime.

Derry vs Drogs the only competitive game tonight. The other two are over after the first leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Wouldn't speak too soon on that , Linfield one up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Madworld

Rovers fans showing their class up in Windsor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

any links?

jaysus!!!!

• Advertisement

SportsNewsIRELAND ‏@SportsNewsIRE
    Riot police attacking Shamrock Rovers supporters in Linfield, scenes look very bad for all involved.

And thats that.

Shame Shamrock Rovers fans will be tarnished over this when it was clearly Shamrock Rovers fans that caused this.

0-2 Rovers at Glentoran (Lynch, Cretaro). 7-0 on aggregate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

Looks bad up there. No alcohol allowed with buses being inspected at border by PSNI. Also a ban on all tricolours that dont have Shamrock Rovers wrote on them.

Its all over anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,168 ✭✭✭shanec1928

dreamers75 wrote: »
    And thats that.

Shame Shamrock Rovers fans will be tarnished over this when it was clearly Shamrock Rovers fans that caused this.
    how long till the small minority card is played?

Ebbs wrote: »
    Looks bad up there. No alcohol allowed with buses being inspected at border by PSNI. Also a ban on all tricolours that dont have Shamrock Rovers wrote on them.

Its all over anyway.
    Standard fare at most football games in the north, club flags only.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Linfield are a very weak team.

Pity this hasn't advanced the chances of amalgamating the two Irish leagues. On paper it'd be great, more fans, facilities and a larger player pool of talent, but, the fact the standard of the Northern teams is so intensely poor it'd be an utter mess, how many Northern teams would even make it in the Airtricity league?

The potential for fan trouble is far too great as well, the effort to control and police would be high. It could also put off a lot of ordinary football fans so we could end up with smaller attendances.

Ryan Brennan puts Drogs through 2-1 in the last minute. Looks like Gary O'Neill has a broken leg (hopefully not) after a shocking tackle by McBride who got a straight red for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

Pity this hasn't advanced the chances of amalgamating the two Irish leagues. On paper it'd be great, more fans, facilities and a larger player pool of talent, but, the fact the standard of the Northern teams is so intensely poor it'd be an utter mess, how many Northern teams would even make it in the Eircom league?

The potential for fan trouble is far too great as well, the effort to control and police would be high. It could also put off a lot of ordinary football fans so we could end up with smaller attendances.

Once the few scrotes who go to games looking for aggro were slapped down by the guards or PSNI I don't think you'd get that much trouble.

I think an all-Ireland league would increase the appeal for fans overall, but only marginally.

I'd love an away trip or two up to Belfast anyway.

And I doubt any team without a time machine would have any success in the 'Eircom' League...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Madworld

Pity this hasn't advanced the chances of amalgamating the two Irish leagues. On paper it'd be great, more fans, facilities and a larger player pool of talent, but, the fact the standard of the Northern teams is so intensely poor it'd be an utter mess, how many Northern teams would even make it in the Eircom league?

Do you have a time machine? We might be able to get them back to 2008.

I cant believe we havent beaten a nordie over 2 legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

dreamers75 wrote: »
    I cant believe we havent beaten a nordie over 2 legs.

You've still got the Europa League in the summer.

This is a very bad season for Linfield. Themselves, Cliftonville and Crusaders would survive easily in any all ireland league. Linfield would regularly compete to win it without any doubt at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

born2bwild wrote: »
    Once the few scrotes who go to games looking for aggro were slapped down by the guards or PSNI I don't think you'd get that much trouble.

I think an all-Ireland league would increase the appeal for fans overall, but only marginally.

I'd love an away trip or two up to Belfast anyway.

And I doubt any team without a time machine would have any success in the 'Eircom' League...

Airtricity...:o
    Weekend drinking has me rattled.

I'd love for there to be an all Ireland league I'd just be afraid there'd be too much hassle and we might just end up with two or three extra teams all from Belfast for the trouble.

6268A9E7-70C0-40C6-BFBF-161DDC3A3C35-1763-000001D7F0273265_zpse6b07901.jpg

Was it fancy dress amongst the Rovers fans or something? State of that hat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

Airtricity...:o
    Weekend drinking has me rattled.

I'd love for their to be an all Ireland league I'd just be afraid there'd be too much hassle and we might just end up with two or three extra teams all from Belfast for the trouble.

Ah, it would be fine - most people who go to matches like football - I reckon the scum on the terraces could be eliminated easily.

Ain't gonna happen anyway.

Shame really, cos it would attract a fair whack of advertising and maybe TV cash.

• Advertisement

Big fan of Sherlock Holmes I say with hat like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

awec wrote: »
    Linfield would regularly compete to win it without any doubt at all.

Disagree. This Linfield team are not up to the task of winning our league whatsoever. Wouldn't even be top 5 in honesty. They were pedestrian over the two legs.

The All-Ireland league wouldn't do much for attendances I don't think. Crusaders vs Cork is hardly gonna set crowds sky rocketing...

Omackeral wrote: »
    The All-Ireland league wouldn't do much for attendances I don't think. Crusaders vs Cork is hardly gonna set crowds sky rocketing...

Money we got from Setanta at the start was worth being on tv for.

Now looks like Gary O'Neill's injury is not a broken leg :p should be back in a few weeks.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Disagree. This Linfield team are not up to the task of winning our league whatsoever. Wouldn't even be top 5 in honesty. They were pedestrian over the two legs.

This Linfield side would struggle to be midtable. The centre halves are so slow and have a turning circle of a Gartland. I'd even say Twigg could out run them giving them a headstart.

Having said that, at 1-0 and had they scored the open goal penalty rebound last week, there'd have been one goal in it. And if they played Rovers three quarters through last season, they could've beaten them - Mervue United could've beaten Rovers. Bad season. But they'd need to invest heavily in the defence..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Wonder if Sinn Fein will comment now too ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

good to see the 'events' off the pitch have overshadowed tonights game, its what the public wanted and im sure the heRAG will be having a field day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

good to see the 'events' off the pitch have overshadowed tonights game, its what the public wanted and im sure the heRAG will be having a field day

So you's thought you's would oblige and give the public 'what they wanted'. Fair play! You's are a lovely bunch of fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Wonder if Sinn Fein will comment now too ?

On what exactly??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

On what exactly??

The violence at Windows Park.

They were pretty fast with the first leg.

Advertisement