Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sellotanta Cup 11/2/2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

dfx- wrote: »
    This Linfield side would struggle to be midtable. The centre halves are so slow and have a turning circle of a Gartland. I'd even say Twigg could out run them giving them a headstart.

Having said that, at 1-0 and had they scored the open goal penalty rebound last week, there'd have been one goal in it. And if they played Rovers three quarters through last season, they could've beaten them - Mervue United could've beaten Rovers. Bad season. But they'd need to invest heavily in the defence..

A lot of if's there. Plus you can just as easily make the case that given the Airtricty league is but 1 game old the advantages should have been with Linfield given Shamrock Rovers lack of games so for Rovers to win the tie 7-2 overall is pretty convincing to say the least.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

There are a lot of ifs, but it could very easily have been 4-3 after the opening goal last night and game on.

7-2 probably reflects the difference between the two sides as is, but if Linfield were to be in one league on a longer basis, they'd improve on that. They would surely start to take the one league competition seriously and not just this season when they are out of everything else.

Most importantly, they have the resources to improve on the current team and the desire being a club used to success...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

Shamrock Rovers v Cork City

Drogheda United v Sligo Rovers

For anyone who didnt see the draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    The violence at Windows Park.

They were pretty fast with the first leg.

Oh ffs, i certainly never heard any of it. Any links?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Oh ffs, i certainly never heard any of it. Any links?

Can't see it now, but theres stuff on utv website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭nordydan

The violence at Windows Park.

They were pretty fast with the first leg.

What was Gregory Campbell's comment after the Linfield violence during the 1st leg?

Just asking...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

Seeing as we are at the semi final stage now, any chance those of you who want to engage in political point scoring could bugger off somewhere else and let the rest of us talk about football?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

Can't see it now, but theres stuff on utv website.

that old bastion of journalism eh? hah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    Seeing as we are at the semi final stage now, any chance those of you who want to engage in political point scoring could bugger off somewhere else and let the rest of us talk about football?

Fair enough, didnt mean to derail the thread. Just curious to the comments as i didnt hear anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

awec wrote: »
    6268A9E7-70C0-40C6-BFBF-161DDC3A3C35-1763-000001D7F0273265_zpse6b07901.jpg

Was it fancy dress amongst the Rovers fans or something? State of that hat.

Bit if policing like that in December would have stopped the flag protests on the 1st night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

2 Semi-final 1st legs on tonight.

Shamrock Rovers vs Cork City @ 7.30 Setanta Ireland
    Drogheda United vs Sligo Rovers @ 7.45

I'll take a draw now.

1-1 at Tallaght.

Kavanagh's goal one of the rare bits of quality from a poor game.

Nicely sets up the 2nd leg @ the Cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

1-1 at Tallaght.

One of the rare bits of quality from Darly Kavanagh.

Nicely sets up the 2nd leg @ the Cross.

how did the ball stay out at the end, harder to miss :mad:

FT Drogheda 2-0 Sligo Rovers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

Probably the best Drogs have played this season. 2 lovely finishes for the goals, O'Neill an overhead and Cassidy lobbed Rogers. Sligo could have went ahead but Greene I think it was rattled the corner of bar and post. Elding then put a free header badly wide. That was it then from him bar a shot that went wide. Prendergast and Byrne both played very well at the back.

Rovers are trying to 1-1 their way to this title...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

dreamers75 wrote: »

In fairness to the Keeper, he got his fingertips to it, but most keepers would have struggled to keep that out, it was a cracking Goal

21/25

Monday Night

2nd legs

Sligo(0) vs Drogheda(2) 7.45

Cork City(1) vs Shamrock Rovers(1) 7.30 Setanta Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Cork to be leading 1-0 into injury time but our defense decides to push back to our goal line and Shams score.

Shams to win on Penos.

• Advertisement

Can't find on the Setanta site which match is actually being covered tonight. Anybody know?

Cork game is on Setanta.

Colin Healy suspended.

Surely, it will be better than the last game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

Do away goals count in the Setanta? I've seen people say they do and others that say they don't. Can't find anything definitive on it. Big game for Drogs tonight, hopefully the "Crazy Gang" as Barraclough referred to them, are as up for it as they were last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

markc1184 wrote: »
    Do away goals count in the Setanta? I've seen people say they do and others that say they don't. Can't find anything definitive on it. Big game for Drogs tonight, hopefully the "Crazy Gang" as Barraclough referred to them, are as up for it as they were last week.

They do indeed, the commentator said so during the Shamrock/City game last week.

They do count

Healy being suspended could well make things very interesting. He did an excellent job of marking Chambers in the league game in Tallaght.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Pity its ended up with 4 LOI teams as realistically the competition only generates excitement in its North v South games.

Going forward (and I suppose its doubtful if this competition will continue) I think this would be a good structure, borrowing heavily from rugbys LV Cup and a little from US NFL.

2 groups of 4.
    1 group has four southern teams, the other group four northern teams. Trick is you play no-one in your group, instead you play the 4 teams (2 home, 2 away) in the other group.
    The winner of each groups and the next two best teams qualify for the semi finals.

Guarantees that all 16 group matches and at least 1 semi final are N v S games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Guarantees that all 16 group matches and at least 1 semi final are N v S games.

That there is the main problem IMO. Nobody wants to see Portadown vs Cork City in a group match. The whole competition should be scaled back. It's too complicated. I remember one year there was 9 teams in it!

I'd like to see just 4 teams qualify. Airtricity League winners, Irish League winners, FAI Cup winners and IFA Cup winners. Just have an open draw and let the final alternate between nations (if needs be).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

Dan murray at the back, a player who is slow but good in the air...So we dont play our fastest striker who can win the ball in the air.

1-0 down, take off a striker, put on deep laying midfielder.

Questions have to be asked soon.

Edit: Amazing formation, tactics, selection, Billy D is definitely good enough for this team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

lol

**** off

• Advertisement

Ebbs wrote: »
    Edit: Amazing formation, tactics, selection, Billy D is definitely good enough for this team.

Flawless display...

:pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I really fukin hate inj time....beyond a fukin joke.

Drogs through as well :D

Tommy Dunne sounded like he was laying all the blame at the players. :confused:

Surely it's up to him to cut this out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Tommy Dunne sounded like he was laying all the blame at the players. :confused:

Surely it's up to him to cut this out.

There is only so much a manager can do. But yes, as manager, it is his job to instil discipline and concentration. Something we lack in abundance.

Sickening.:(

Thought the 2 Daryl's had done enough this time.
    Soft freekick and goal to give away.

Goal cost the club c. €25,000. That's a lot of fundraisers to make up that difference. CEO will be having knighmares.

edit : Why can't Ian Turner play like that consistently? He was great tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

what an emotional roller coaster. Thought Turner had a great game. Sick of extra time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Yeeeeeeeeow! Harsh on the Langers but brilliant. Cork must be sick of the sight of us.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Yeeeeeeeeow! Harsh on the Langers but brilliant. Cork must be sick of the sight of us.

Not necessarily, we're just sick of the sight of ourselves constantly conceding late injury time goals.

It's far beyond a joke now. That makes it 5 or 6 times now that that has happened, (So often I've almost lost count!). It's just plain ridiculous. And as much as the previous ones hurt, none of them were half as bad as this.

Unfortunately, I think Tommy's days are probably numbered. Particularly if the same kind of scenario happens in the next game. I'm not sure I agree with it. I mean, I still think he's probably the best man for the job (or at least the best of the managers that's out there and readily available anyway). They have to start closing out games though, otherwise, with every few points dropped every game, we'll gradually find ourselves slipping down the league table and into the jaws of relegation.

And, just to add to a previous poster regarding the €25,000 that we missed out on, it could easily end up costing us even more. There were a lot of disillusioned fans leaving the stadium tonight, and I just hope, for City's sake, that they come back. I wouldn't be surprised though if the attendance at the St. Pats match dipped below 1500, and maybe even closer to 1000.

Any figure on the attendance there tonight?

2,007 was the figure given.

Basically this is our core support.

I mentioned the CEO earlier. His job is much easier when the team are doing well and gates are healthy. Much easier to talk to potential sponsors when things are going well. Vicious circle when results and performances dip like they have started to. The easiest money to make in football is bums in seats. When that starts to disappear it could be the biggest problem facing the "fan ownership" model since the TNB saga.

Setanta commentators said 2,007 was the attendance.

How many of the late goals have Cork been in front in?

Rovers' game at Richmond Park has been moved.

• Advertisement

5 from winning positions.

3 League games

2 Setanta Games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

edit : Why can't Ian Turner play like that consistently? He was great tonight.

Didnt he though, I couldnt believe he wasnt man of the match.

5 from winning positions.

3 League games

2 Setanta Games.

Derry last minute pen to lose

Shams last second equaliser

Drogs 87th min penalty

Shels 94th min equaliser

Last night.

We scored a late winner against UCD as well.
    Wilberto wrote:
    Unfortunately, I think Tommy's days are probably numbered.

Tommy won't be sacked. For one we cannot afford it. For seconds he has not done all that badly all things considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭Drogmal

And Sligo the sight of us! Great effort to dig in last night and hold on.

When and where is the final?

gimmick wrote: »
    When and where is the final?
    Saturday 11th May at 3pm.
    Venue still to be confirmed, I'll hazard a guess at Tallaght. After beating Rovers there last year to win the league cup, i doubt Mick Cooke will have any objections.
    I'm sure Rovers and Setanta will also be happy to go there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

How bad was the keeper for Billy Dennehy's goal; he practically passed that into the net last night.

I think it took a bobble tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Didnt he though, I couldnt believe he wasnt man of the match.

When he stops hitting the first man with crosses and start being able to hold onto the ball for the last 15 minutes, he'll get the man of the match. So don't expect any.

Going past players is pointless if your crosses are awful. Think he might have got 1 proper one in last night.

Saturday 11th May at 3pm.
    Venue still to be confirmed, I'll hazard a guess at Tallaght. After beating Rovers there last year to win the league cup, i doubt Mick Cooke will have any objections.
    I'm sure Rovers and Setanta will also be happy to go there.

Tallaght I think was announced to hold the 2012 and 2013 final if there's no Northern side in it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement