Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

blocked Number scam

Options
  • 11-02-2013 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

I'm getting phone calls from blocked number but when you answer the call it turns into an outgoing call as if you ringing somebody, It happened twice to me in last few days and both times I disconnected the call after a couple of rings. I assume it's another scam, i'm on an 087 number but a different network.

Did this happen to anyone else?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Just don't answer a blocked number, unless you happen to be expecting a call at that time. Let it go to voicemail, so you can screen the calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Some debt collectors are using this, I heard on the radio it may have been PTSB.

They use an auto dialler to dial loads of numbers and when it hears a voice it try's to transfer you to an operator on an available extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Seamus1964

I got same call (private no.) I also dropped the call after a couple of rings.
    I am pretty sure this is a some sort of scam

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Dont know if its the same thing but I got a text from a friend warning me that a scam was going on where they called you from a blocked number if you answer the call they can get up to €150 of your credit or it goes onto your bill. Will try and contact him this evening and post back here.

As a rule I dont answer hidden/private numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

If you have any type of smartphone get "Call Control" you can select who can call you, mine is set on "contacts only" the rest of the calls go to voicemail, I have Hullomail so its free to check messages or even delete if I know who its from and don't want to here there bs messages.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭imtdub

Thanks guys for the info. I just wanted to see If anyone else has received this sort of calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

LeoB wrote: »
    Dont know if its the same thing but I got a text from a friend warning me that a scam was going on where they called you from a blocked number if you answer the call they can get up to €150 of your credit or it goes onto your bill. Will try and contact him this evening and post back here.

As a rule I dont answer hidden/private numbers.

Its bullcrap.

This only works if you ring them back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I got 4 of these blocked calls in the first six days of this month. Didn't like the look of them so just let the phone ring out. I don't like answering 'ID Withheld' calls most times so I definitely wasn't answering a blocked one. Has to have been some sort of scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,997 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

grenache wrote: »
    I got 4 of these blocked calls in the first six days of this month. Didn't like the look of them so just let the phone ring out. I don't like answering 'ID Withheld' calls most times so I definitely wasn't answering a blocked one. Has to have been some sort of scam.

Not really a scam. A lot of companies use blocked numbers, not just debt collectors. It could be your bank trying to contact you about suspicious activity on your account or a business which has multiple lines, or uses VOIP, so don't want you getting a number which can't be contacted directly from outside.

I don't understand why people are afraid of blocked numbers, if you don't like the call just hang up.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    Not really a scam. A lot of companies use blocked numbers, not just debt collectors. It could be your bank trying to contact you about suspicious activity on your account or a business which has multiple lines, or uses VOIP, so don't want you getting a number which can't be contacted directly from outside.

I don't understand why people are afraid of blocked numbers, if you don't like the call just hang up.

Well then they shouldn't be allowed to ring from blocked numbers, you only hide things when you're cheating or involved in some dodgy stuff. If my Bank rings me with a blocked number, there's no way I'm going to talk to them to discuss my account. If you've multiple lines the main number reflects on the outgoing call, and you can be contacted on VOIP from outside world, nothing changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Same here I'm not talking to anyone from a block number/cold calling.

If its the bank I'll ring them back on their listed main line.

imtdub wrote: »
    Well then they shouldn't be allowed to ring from blocked numbers, you only hide things when you're cheating or involved in some dodgy stuff. If my Bank rings me with a blocked number, there's no way I'm going to talk to them to discuss my account. If you've multiple lines the main number reflects on the outgoing call, and you can be contacted on VOIP from outside world, nothing changes.

Pointless, the caller ID proves nothing. Easy to spoof.

Pointless, the caller ID proves nothing. Easy to spoof.

May be for some, but not for the majority of people.

May be for some, but not for the majority of people.

No, I mean, I still wouldn't trust that its my bank based on the caller ID.

I'd call them back and my bank has advised they'll never contact me via phone asking for details.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,997 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Well then they shouldn't be allowed to ring from blocked numbers, you only hide things when you're cheating or involved in some dodgy stuff.

You could also say only dodgy or cheating people have reason to be suspicious of a phone call!
    If my Bank rings me with a blocked number, there's no way I'm going to talk to them to discuss my account. If you've multiple lines the main number reflects on the outgoing call, and you can be contacted on VOIP from outside world, nothing changes.

I've been rang by my bank from a blocked number a few times. Once I was driving so didn't answer, the number they left on the message wasn't on their page so even if it had come up I'd still wouldn't know it was legit. I called the main number and got through to them and it was about a transaction on my CC. A different time they called all they asked for was 2 bits from my online access ID to verify me, I don't know many scammers who can access my account without the correct details. If they start asking for too much info I've no problem hanging up and calling back through the main number, but it's never happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Del2005 wrote: »
    I don't understand why people are afraid to have their number shown, if you want your call to be answered just show it.

I wouldn't answer my door to someone wearing a facemask, just as I don't answer my phone to someone who masks their number.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I don't understand why people are afraid to have their number shown, if you want your call to be answered just show it....
    There can be good reasons, for example
    • A business might use certain lines for originating calls, but not have the set-up for those lines to be used for receiving calls (rather like those "donotreply" email addresses).
    • A person might use his or her own phone to make a business-related call, but not wish the personal phone to be treated as a business number (this happens to me, for example, with my GP, who has used his own phone to communicate test results to me).

I don't see the point in being precious about caller ID. If somebody calls me and I don't want to talk to them, I terminate the call. If I miss a call from a number I don't know, I don't call back.

My phone-use policy has not caused me any difficulties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

There can be good reasons, for example
    • A business might use certain lines for originating calls, but not have the set-up for those lines to be used for receiving calls (rather like those "donotreply" email addresses).
    • A person might use his or her own phone to make a business-related call, but not wish the personal phone to be treated as a business number (this happens to me, for example, with my GP, who has used his own phone to communicate test results to me).

I don't see the point in being precious about caller ID. If somebody calls me and I don't want to talk to them, I terminate the call. If I miss a call from a number I don't know, I don't call back.

My phone-use policy has not caused me any difficulties.
    It's not a matter of being precious, or of being afraid (as posted by someone in a previous post).

My policy hasn't cause me any difficulties either, as with a lot of other things it's down to individual choice, so I suppose we're both happy. :)

I don't think people are afraid of them. It's just that with all sorts of scams happening Phishing, Smishing and what not, people are a bit wary when they get a call from blocked number simple as that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,461 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

This is how to deal with those calls - when you answer the call, say nothing. A lot of the time the call is initiated by a machine and when it hears a response from the called number (typically 'hello?'), it then routes the call to a free agent.

If you answer the call and say nothing, they will assume that your phone is a data or fax line and they will not connect you to an agent and if you're lucky they will mark your number for no more calls.

I know some people who for professional and personal reasons block their number, I have told them in no uncertain terms that if they call me, they have to identify themselves the instant they hear the click indicating that the call has been connected and I have answered, otherwise they get the silent treatment from me and I'll hang up in a couple of seconds.

Advertisement