Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Case against online gambling company?

Options
  • 11-02-2013 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

Hi. I have an account with an online gambling company. I wanted to withdraw some money I had won. I contacted the company on 3 occassions asking them to allow me to withdraw money. I am still waiting to get a response. In the meantime I lost this money I wanted to withdraw.

Do I have a case?

(Be gentle)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭Polar101

If your account no longer has the amount you wanted to withdraw, I don't see them allowing you to withdraw it. Some of the online gambling sites are like that - very easy to deposit, but withdrawing money is made slower or complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

qwert2 wrote: »
    Hi. I have an account with an online gambling company. I wanted to withdraw some money I had won. I contacted the company on 3 occassions asking them to allow me to withdraw money. I am still waiting to get a response. In the meantime I lost this money I wanted to withdraw.

Do I have a case?

(Be gentle)

Typical scummy trick by an online operator - tried and tested method of increasing profits. I don't think you have any case against them and all you can do now is name and shame/badmouth them on the internet - immediately after closing your account, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

In the meantime I lost this money I wanted to withdraw.
    By "lost" do you mean on a gamble, or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

What was the reason they gave for not allowing you to withdraw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

the_syco wrote: »
    By "lost" do you mean on a gamble, or not?
    I assumed so. Why gamble money he wanted to cash in? Beyond me. Of course he has no case.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Not a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'm guessing that while you were waiting to hear from the gambling company, that you bet the funds and lost them. You know that's your fault and not the fault of the company.

However, I'd imagine that you should be able to withdraw your funds within a reasonable time - it's your money after all. First you need to have a read of the T&Cs for that particular bookmaker, and see if there are any limitations etc called out there.

I had a quick look at Paddy Power (for example) and I noticed on their homepage "Paddy Power Sportsbetting is regulated by the Isle of Man Gambling Supervision Commission under a licence issued under the Online Gambling Regulation Act 2001 on 31 August 2007". So you should have a look and see who regulates your bookmaker. I'd then contact that body and ask for their advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

dudara wrote: »
    However, I'd imagine that you should be able to withdraw your funds within a reasonable time - it's your money after all. First you need to have a read of the T&Cs for that particular bookmaker, and see if there are any limitations etc called out there.

If you set up an account online, some (not all), require that you provide proof of identification for age verification on registration and most certainly before withdrawal of funds. If the OP was told that and if he didn't provide it, then it's their fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Is it possible that the online company used his balance for automated bets? Why would someone use money they wanted to withdraw for betting, there must be a reason for the money being used when the OP wanted it in cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭qwert2

Thanks for the replies. Yes, by lost I mean gambled. It's my fault. I'm clutching at straws here. Still I did provide them with adequate ID. They just never responded to my queries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭jmorrisey

Thanks for the replies. Yes, by lost I mean gambled. It's my fault. I'm clutching at straws here. Still I did provide them with adequate ID. They just never responded to my queries

Nowt you can do except name them and steer clear in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Do I have a case?

(Be gentle)
    Make a complaint to your local Garda station.
    They will help get it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

If you spent it before it was repaid, of course they don't owe you a thing. If you hadn't of spent it, and had exhausted all attempts to reclaim it, you may have been able to reclaim some of what you paid in via the your card issuer.

Otherwise, you're at a loss: most of these companies are domiciled in places with quite relaxed regulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Make a complaint to your local Garda station.
    They will help get it back.

Why post rubbish untrue statements like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

Happened to me last year. I did a withdraw back to my bank account. Never came through. Weeks later try blamed my bank. My bank said they received no monies.
    In the end after ages of back and forth and me having spent the money with them, they all but admitted they never attempted to send it, blaming technical issues. They refused to refund the money though.

As a matter of principle and as someone who hates getting scammed, I contacted the watchdog UK TV show (who apparently had several similar complaints) and their offshore regulator.

5 days later the money was in my account.
    Never got an explanation

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Why post rubbish untrue statements like that?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

OP I think it's a bit unethical to look for money off someone you placed a bet with and lost even if technically they should have given you the money back before hand.

Ask yourself how you would have felt if the bet won and they turned around and said "Oh wait you had looked to withdraw that money so it wasn't available for the bet which we will cancel for you, now here is your withdrawal".

If you hadn't placed the bet though I'd fully agree the delays can be ridiculous at times to get the money back.

I think most online gambling sites take around 3 days for the money to be lodged into your account. Better off to read their T&C to check. But I doubt you have a case here. In future, if you want to withdraw the money, don't gamble it. Show restraint.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

For reputable gambling companies the first withdrawal can be a bit of a pain with KYC (know your customer) procedures. These are mostly required for money laundering prevention as far as I know. But after the first withdrawal all the big ones will have your money back to your car in 3-4 days.

I have accounts with 6 bookies and 2 exchanges and I've never had a problem after the initial hassle.

There is zero chance of seeing that money again... and going to the guards is laughable. You lost the money unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

If you had won the bet and they reneged on the bet would you be pissed off? I assume you would, cant have it both ways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

If you bet the money and it lost then you don't have a case.

If you didn't bet the money and it just vanished you certainly have a case.

Advertisement