Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graffiti in the city

Options
  • 11-02-2013 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭

No one seems to be doing much to clean it up.

It makes the city look awful.

Who should be cleaning it?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 809 ✭✭✭frankosw

zoobizoo wrote: »

The ****ers who do it...make them clean it off then beat them up and deface thier parents house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

frankosw wrote: »
    The ****ers who do it...make them clean it off then beat them up and deface thier parents house.

Probably a little on the extreme side, I wouldn't mind so much if they had an ounce of talent. they don't seem to get past the "writing your name on stuff" school of art.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

zoobizoo wrote: »
    No one seems to be doing much to clean it up.

It makes the city look awful.

Contact Dublin City Council, Litter Hotline with the locations they have a service for cleaning graffiti 1800-248-348

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

frankosw wrote: »
    Easy tiger. Those sort of comments are not acceptable in this forum. You've been warned about this before. Take a week off.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Overthrow

Personally I'm not bothered at all by graffiti. There are far more sanctioned defacements to the environment.

Cleaning up graffiti rarely achieves anything but providing a fresh clean canvas. For those who feel strongly about reducing or eradicating it from the city I'd advise trying to think of better ways of tackling the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

If its inside the city centre, try the Dublin city BID. They're funded by the businesses and tend to get stuff cleaned up. Otherwise Aramark look after it, but its a constant battle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭bluefinger

thought this was a nice attempt to shame the graffito of less talented artists
    http://dublingraffitied.com/tour/anal/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I'd feel really weird if I was in a city with absolutely no graffiti, good or bad it's part of the urban back drop these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I think a lot of people don't actually mind proper good graffiti, but the crap tags and rubbish around Dublin is just woeful.
    And spraying on a granite block wall is poor form.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

Overthrow wrote: »
    Cleaning up graffiti rarely achieves anything but providing a fresh clean canvas. For those who feel strongly about reducing or eradicating it from the city I'd advise trying to think of better ways of tackling the problem.

With respect this is one of the ways of tackling the problem. There's lots of reasons why graffiti, if left, can make problems of low level crime/ vadalism, anti-social behaviour and other similar things worse.
    Supposedly it sends out the message that no-one cares.
    As an example Graffiti was targeted in New York - especially on the Subway System - as part of an effort to reduce crime and make people feel safer.
    I'd suggest efforts like that have helped make NY Crime stats look a lot better than 20 / 30 years ago.
    Here's an interesting website article from Oz.
    Www.goodbyegraffiti.wa.gov.au
    This will reference an interesting study on stuff like this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

CianRyan wrote: »
    I'd feel really weird if I was in a city with absolutely no graffiti, good or bad it's part of the urban back drop these days.

I've no problem with decent graffiti, its the stupid 'Johno was here' crap that wrecks my head

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

MarkMc wrote: »
    I've no problem with decent graffiti, its the stupid 'Johno was here' crap that wrecks my head

Or worse, the scrawls with no discernible actual letter shapes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I like Street Art, but the gurriers who just tag 'Anto', or whatever, everywhere should be made spend their days cleaning up those scribbles.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Name tags or stuff like 'Anto is a (insert rude name)' are criminal damage of property, but if it's a decent picture? Why not, it's better than a plain grey wall, imo

• Site Banned Posts: 3 NeverGetBanned

spurious wrote: »
    Used by burglars to indicate if houses in the area are worth stealing from.

I'd agree that nice pieces are great and look better than a plain wall(as long as it's not a historic building, etc), how ever they're still criminal damage.

Used by burglars to indicate if houses in the area are worth stealing from.

I've heard it all now, I have a background in graffiti, the illegible letters are quite readable to though of use who are use to writing them, they're just tags, the more tags you do the more your name gets out and you're "up".
    Being "up" is the point of tagging and bombing(quick, large bubble style).

I've heard it all now, I have a background in graffiti, the illegible letters are quite readable to though of use who are use to writing them, they're just tags, the more tags you do the more your name gets out and you're "up".
    Being "up" is the point of tagging and bombing(quick, large bubble style).

I bet i'd get loads of "up" if broke the mold and implemented a strategy combining legibility with basic grammar.

I bet i'd get loads of "up" if broke the mold and implemented a strategy combining legibility with basic grammar.

The basic grammar would be dodgy seeing as you'd be writing out a sentence, you don't want to be too long at it. :pac:

I do predate easily readable stylised tags though.

The basic grammar would be dodgy seeing as you'd be writing out a sentence, you don't want to be too long at it. :pac:

I do predate easily readable stylised tags though.

That's very good advice actually, wouldn't do much for my "street cred" if i got arrested taking to long over whether an oxford comma was grammatically appropriate.... but then again i wouldn't want to appear a philistine to by graffiti homies...

Fúck it, i'm just gonna go with "Anto iz gay" gets the core of my message across :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

For a big city there isnt that much. It's so common in Germany which is fairly surprising with how clean and Eco they are.

But it has to be cleared up as I think it was in NYC they came up with broken glass theory i think it's called. That if a glass window is broken in a city that it only encourages more and more people to break the windows. Like wise if a landlord rents a house to a tenant that's rough looking there far more likely to treat the horse like **** compared to if it's respectable.

But I like the graffiti in Dublin 2 around Camden street. It makes the area more pleasant than black hoarding with lil Wayne ads all over it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

With respect this is one of the ways of tackling the problem. There's lots of reasons why graffiti, if left, can make problems of low level crime/ vadalism, anti-social behaviour and other similar things worse.
    Supposedly it sends out the message that no-one cares.
    As an example Graffiti was targeted in New York - especially on the Subway System - as part of an effort to reduce crime and make people feel safer.
    I'd suggest efforts like that have helped make NY Crime stats look a lot better than 20 / 30 years ago.
    Here's an interesting website article from Oz.
    Www.goodbyegraffiti.wa.gov.au
    This will reference an interesting study on stuff like this.

A sociologist even came up with 'Broken Window Theory' to describe the phenomom- i.e. if windows on a derelict building are smashed and not repaired then it sends a message out to crims that no-one gives a fcuk and then break loads more windows as a result Crime begets crime and it increases exponentially, especially if people think they won't be caught.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_windows_theory

Funnily enough though one of the authors of Freakonomics claimed that the 'successful' Rudi Guilani led police led clean up of New York in the late 90's was nothing to do with Rudi or the NYPD. He claimed (and backed it up with lots of evidence) that the reason why crime went down in NY in the late 90's/early 200's was because of the Supreme Court decision in 1972 Roe Vs. Wade. The case legalised abortion for all across the US. The authors theory was that because abortion became legal and accessible a lot of mothers in poverty aborted kids whereas before they had no choice. So because a lots less kids were being born into poverty ( a crime indicator for criminologists ) then subsequently 20 years later crime went down because kids that would have normally been born without abortion were now being aborted and didn't exist.

Rudy Guiliani took all the plaudits regardless. We'll never know which reason it was, probably a combination of both but we'll never know to what degree. Still interesting though.
    MarkMc wrote: »
    spurious wrote: »
    kylith wrote: »
    I like Street Art, but the gurriers who just tag 'Anto', or whatever, everywhere should be made spend their days cleaning up those scribbles.
    Lars1916 wrote: »
    Name tags or stuff like 'Anto is a (insert rude name)' are criminal damage of property, but if it's a decent picture? Why not, it's better than a plain grey wall, imo

I agree with all this. I love the street art phenomenon, but only provided it is art. Tagging is brainless sh1te and wrecks my eyes. But street art is still art and much more preferable than a grey wall. I passed this piece of art every day for a few weeks when I was living up in Camden Street. On a cold dark winters morning it cheered me up no end and I give lots of thanks to Maser for helping me and others through the winter with his simple statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

RATM wrote: »
    A sociologist even came up with 'Broken Window Theory' to describe the phenomom- i.e. if windows on a derelict building are smashed and not repaired then it sends a message out to crims that no-one gives a fcuk and then break loads more windows as a result Crime begets crime and it increases exponentially, especially if people think they won't be caught.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_windows_theory

Funnily enough though one of the authors of Freakonomics claimed that the 'successful' Rudi Guilani led police led clean up of New York in the late 90's was nothing to do with Rudi or the NYPD. He claimed (and backed it up with lots of evidence) that the reason why crime went down in NY in the late 90's/early 200's was because of the Supreme Court decision in 1972 Roe Vs. Wade. The case legalised abortion for all across the US. The authors theory was that because abortion became legal and accessible a lot of mothers in poverty aborted kids whereas before they had no choice. So because a lots less kids were being born into poverty ( a crime indicator for criminologists ) then subsequently 20 years later crime went down because kids that would have normally been born without abortion were now being aborted and didn't exist.

Rudy Guiliani took all the plaudits regardless. We'll never know which reason it was, probably a combination of both but we'll never know to what degree. Still interesting though.

I agree with all this. I love the street art phenomenon, but only provided it is art. Tagging is brainless sh1te and wrecks my eyes. But street art is still art and much more preferable than a grey wall. I passed this piece of art every day for a few weeks when I was living up in Camden Street. On a cold dark winters morning it cheered me up no end and I give lots of thanks to Maser for helping me and others through the winter with his simple statement.

The house next to mine is not occupied for a good while now. A window was smashed in, the wall in the front garden is in bits, the garden itself is full of rubbish. And guess what? It attracts the kids of the entire neighborhood...who then hang around in my front garden, because there is nothing more to break in the house next door :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭bluefinger

Lars1916 wrote: »
    The house next to mine is not occupied for a good while now. A window was smashed in, the wall in the front garden is in bits, the garden itself is full of rubbish. And guess what? It attracts the kids of the entire neighborhood...who then hang around in my front garden, because there is nothing more to break in the house next door :confused:

Perhaps ask Citizens Information what can be done about the situation. I think there is legislation on derelict sites and the state they are kept in. The council should also be able to provide information on what (if anything) they can ask the owner to do about it.

At a minimum the rubbish in the garden is a public health hazard and will attract rats and other rodents

bluefinger wrote: »

Saw that article yesterday on the Guardian. It amazes me that street art can fetch prices as high as £450,000 but I suppose Banksy is hot property these days, tons of Hollywood actors are willing to pay millions for an original Banksy.

It must be weird for Banksy himself when he gives his work to the public for free and then has to watch people steal it off a wall and make huge sums of money from something he did. In saying that after watching the documentary 'Exit Through the Gift Shop' I got the impression that the lad couldn't care less about the money, he just wants to make art.

It would be great if Dublin City Council could dedicate a few walls around Dublin for permanent use by our local street artists, handing out the best of them monthly slots or something along those lines. In London there are tours dedicated to walking around the various street art sites, it is a phenomenon that is attracting tourists from around the world and Dublin should follow suit IMO as we have plenty of local talent at work here too.

Perhaps if we had more street art it might embarrass the taggers into getting some drawing lessons, probably not but it is worth a shot !

Advertisement