Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Top Four Cup

• 11-02-2013 4:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭

So folks it's getting to the stage where people are talking about run ins and next years Champions league etc.

Who do you think is going to be in the top four come may?

Now there are arguments that City are being dragged back and Chelsea aren't up to scratch under Rafa so if you think they will fall back into fourth the option is in the poll.

I have to be honest as a Spurs fan and say I fancy us to finish fifth.

I think Arsenal have a much easier run in then us and are likely to leap frog us between now and then with City in second and Chelsea sneaking third.

No atari Jaguar in this thread to mess with the numbers either.

Liverpool included even though I think they are just too far back at this stage to leap frog 3 teams to get it.

I made the poll private didn't mean too but sure doesn't matter too much.

Who will finish Fourth this year 189 votes

Arsenal
    1% 2 votes
    Chelsea
    35% 68 votes
    Liverpool
    12% 24 votes
    Manchester City
    6% 13 votes
    Spurs
    2% 5 votes
    Everton
    40% 77 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

United, City, Chelsea, Spurs for the top 4. Arsenal 5th and Liverpool 6th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Hope Arsenal can do it but not sure they can, Chelsea to drop out for the laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

1. Utd
    2. City
    3. Chelsea
    4. Spurs

Spurs could easily leap frog ourselves but I think above is how the league will finish, Utd have it practically wrapped up barring a huge failure, so the race for the UCL spots is going to be interesting this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Would like to see Spurs make it after the bad luck of Chelsea nicking their spot. Would also like to see Everton make it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

iDave wrote: »
    Would like to see Spurs make it after the bad luck of Chelsea nicking their spot. Would also like to see Everton make it.

The only thing that made winning the UCL sweeter was that we took Spurs place. :pac:

They should make the top 4 this season again and with AVB they've got a good manager who will push them on to a level 'Arry couldnt, IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Have Everton been thrown out of the league?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Lumbo wrote: »
    Have Everton been thrown out of the league?
    No I forgot to include them in the poll and couldn't edit after it. You will have to post for Everton I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

With the way Everton usually finish a season, I wouldn't be surprised if they take it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Everton Added

I reckon Spurs will get 4th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

I'd love to see Everton get there. Moyes is such a great manager.

Reckon it'll stay the way it is atm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

titan18 wrote: »
    With the way Everton usually finish a season, I wouldn't be surprised if they take it

Everton have to play Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool away and City at home. Unfortunately, IMO 4th is beyond them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Third and forth is a toss up between Chelsea/Spurs and Arsenal, someone is going to be seriously disappointed. Evertons run in and Liverpools current points gap will do them in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

In recent years Lasagne and 'Arry flirting with England have deprived Spurs of Champions League football. I wonder what spanner will get in the works this season

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

greendom wrote: »
    In recent years Lasagne and 'Arry flirting with England have deprived Spurs of Champions League football. I wonder what spanner will get in the works this season

AVB to Chelsea?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Would love to see us get it alright, our trophy cabinet is full of these 4th place cups.

But I cant see Spurs collapsing like last season. Getting rid of the appalling Redknapp will prove to be the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

AVB has actually rotated the squad, usually Tottenham are exhausted by this stage, they're coping better and I think they'll get 4th.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

iDave wrote: »

We completely blew it ourselves last year. Should have had 3rd wrapped up. No bad luck involved for me

Arsenal do have an easier run in on paper but I think 8 wins out of 12 will do 4th(if not 3rd) for Spurs and thats definitely doable. Its up to ourselves. Beating the gunners at home would be a massive step.

I say

United
    City
    Chelsea
    Spurs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

There is a slender chance of Chelsea being drawn back into it with their squad being stretched and the concern of the Europa League (they'll rotate, but it won't help the squad situation). I think we see it as being primarily between Arsenal, Everton and Spurs to finish in fourth so let's see how they all are at the minute:

Team
    Played--- Points
    Goal Difference
    Chelsea
    Tottenham Hotspur
    Arsenal
    Everton
    Prominent remaining fixtures -

Chelsea :
    Manchester City [A] - Sunday February 24th
    Tottenham Hotspur [H] - Saturday April 13th
    Liverpool [A] - Saturday April 20th
    Manchester United [A] - Saturday May 4th
    Everton [H] - Sunday May 19th

Tottenham Hotspur :
    Arsenal [H] - Sunday March 3rd
    Liverpool [A] - Sunday March 10th
    Everton [H] - Saturday April 6th
    Chelsea [A] - Saturday April 13th
    Manchester City [H] - April 20th

Arsenal :
    Tottenham Hotspur [A] - Sunday March 3rd
    Everton [H] - Saturday March 9th
    Manchester United [H] - Saturday April 27th

Everton :
    Arsenal [A] - Saturday March 9th
    Manchester City [H] - Saturday March 16th
    Tottenham Hotspur [A] - Saturday April 6th
    Liverpool [A] - Saturday May 4th
    Chelsea [A] - Sunday May 19th

Out of the current incumbents of the top four, Tottenham have the toughest run-in with Everton having the toughest run-in of all the teams listed. Arsenal look to have the handiest. I don't see Everton staying the course. I reckon that Liverpool are too far behind to make up the ground, they're twelve points back on Spurs albeit with a game in hand. I think Spurs will do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

IvySlayer wrote: »
    AVB has actually rotated the squad, usually Tottenham are exhausted by this stage, they're coping better and I think they'll get 4th.
    If Bale goes on one of his bad runs they have nobody really looking like stepping up. Dempsey hasn't been bad but nowhere near last seasons form. Adebayor looked rubbish there at the weekend and Lennon has fallen out of form. Bale could keep it up but their season really depends on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

United have the league pretty much wrapped up. It will have to be something huge for them not to win it. City should recover and hold on to second. Chelsea will be pegged back but have enough to hold on to third. Everton have too tough a run in and I reckon Liverpool are too far behind. Whoever wins the NLD between Arsenal and spurs gets it for me. I believe that will be Arsenal. A win will make the gap one point and a much easier looking run in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

The biggest individual battle in this race will probably be Bale vs Sagna if they're both fit, hope Sagna is in top form

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Liam O wrote: »
    If Bale goes on one of his bad runs they have nobody really looking like stepping up. Dempsey hasn't been bad but nowhere near last seasons form. Adebayor looked rubbish there at the weekend and Lennon has fallen out of form. Bale could keep it up but their season really depends on it.

Sorry mate but you seem to be implying that Bale has bad runs, this is not true. He may have one or two off games but will not suffer a bad run, now injury is a different story. Also Adebayor was only on the pitch for a short while on Saturday so is hard to say he was rubbish. On the Lennon one you are totally wrong, he is in good form and is working harder than ever for the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Hopefully it'll be United, City, Chelsea, Arsenal but I can see Spurs getting that 4th spot.

Hopefully it'll be United, City, Chelsea, Arsenal but I can see Spurs getting that 4th spot.

Out of curiosity why do you want to see Chelsea or Arsenal beat Spurs to it? I am not too sure who you support so apologies if its one of the two.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Whoever wins the NLD between Arsenal and spurs gets it for me. I believe that will be Arsenal. A win will make the gap one point and a much easier looking run in.

I agree that the NLD could decide it, massive 6 pointer and I believe home advantage will see us through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Bale?

BCxJA_PCYAE3_aI.jpg:large

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Bale?

BCxJA_PCYAE3_aI.jpg:large

Bale Walcott is the 3rd best player in the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

rarnes1 wrote: »

Well if that's the case then....

tumblr_m4tl5wIxV31qj9xud.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

You can delete Liverpool from the list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

United
    City
    Arsenal
    Everton

is the personal preference at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Liverpool
    united
    city
    arsenal

I think it'll be close for 4th, chelsea will drop points, spurs will drop points but so will arsenal, though i think arsenals run in is a lot easier than spurs, and I think chelsea have enough about them to stay 3rd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

As an Everton fan I reckon Spurs will do it.

Once Bale doesn't get injured ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

I have to laugh that 8 people voted for Liverpool . ( 8 votes at time of posting )

Arsenal
    Chelsea
    Manchester City
    Everton

Man City will most likely come second.
    Then Chelsea,
    Then Spurs,

With Arsenal 5th and then Everton / Swansea.

Liverpool are 12 points behind 4th now. I really do not see them clawing that amount back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

rarnes1 wrote: »

I would still rather have Bale in my team.

NeVeR wrote: »
    I would still rather have Bale in my team.

Without a doubt.

• Advertisement

8 votes for Liverpool?? really?? Never mind club stature and rivalry and all that, when you look at current form and the fact that they are 12 points from fourth it really is a huge stretch to think they'll be there when the season finishes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

NeVeR wrote: »
    I have to laugh that 8 people voted for Liverpool . ( 8 votes at time of posting )

I'm pretty sure they were all posted before last night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Spurs and Arsenal will take 3rd and 4th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Sacramento wrote: »
    8 votes for Liverpool?? really?? Never mind club stature and rivalry and all that, when you look at current form and the fact that they are 12 points from fourth it really is a huge stretch to think they'll be there when the season finishes.

Liverpool's performances, if not results, were very good before the West Brom game. They also had a game in hand so they still had an outside (very far outside) chance. Wasn't beyond the realms of possibility that they could finish fourth, stranger things have happened.

PS I voted for Spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

United
    City
    Spurs
    Arsenal
    Chelsea
    Everton
    Liverpool

Chelsea are in serious trouble, and have some tough games coming up. Arsenal will do enough to get over the line as always. Bayern will do them a huge favour by knocking them out of the CL. Don't think Everton have the squad or the big game mentality to really bring it home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

It would be nice for a change to see arsenal miss out, they are always there but only making up the numbers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Just looking at the run ins for each of Everton, Spurs, Chelsea and Arsenal and Arsenal have by far the "easiest" games left although away games to Swansea,Newcastl, West Brom and Fulham could be tricky.

Spurs and Chelsea have very similar run ins and the away game at Stamford Bridge could decidewho finishes above who.

Everton still have so many tough games coming up next three at home though which they will probably have to win to have any realistic chance of staying in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Liverpool have a better chance then Everton, and that's not saying much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

It's all decided now for me. Can't see past the current top 4 qualifying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Can still us (arsenal recovering and Spurs and chelsea messing up looking at there run ins, Can see Arsenal grabbing fourth and Spurs or Chelsea grabbing 3rd i can definity see one of them falling apart still , Chelsea are barely together at the moment bursting at the seams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

I expect it to be the current top 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Can still us (arsenal recovering and Spurs and chelsea messing up looking at there run ins, Can see Arsenal grabbing fourth and Spurs or Chelsea grabbing 3rd i can definity see one of them falling apart still , Chelsea are barely together at the moment bursting at the seams
    Arsenal are hardly sh*t hot at the moment either in fairness. They have been the epitome of inconsistency all season, don't see it changing enough to make up the points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

top four will stay the same as it is now i think. spurs and chelsea may trade places but i dont think either of them will drop out of the CL spots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Funny that there's only 4% between a team 10 points away from 4th and the team by far the most likely at this stage to finish 4th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Funny that there's only 4% between a team 10 points away from 4th and the team by far the most likely at this stage to finish 4th.
    Liverpool will always do well in polls on this forum as illustrated by Suarez's lead in the PFA poll. Its just the way it is.

• Advertisement
Advertisement