Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question regarding Lysine

Options
  • 11-02-2013 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭

Lysine is an amino acid that occurs naturally and can be added to food stuffs. A lot of it is extracted from duck feathers as they are full of lysine. There for my question is would a vegan eat some food where it was added.

Here is a link to what it does LINK

Does this constitute vegan when in acid form?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Well, if it is generally derived from duck feathers, then I would assume it would be avoided by vegans, given than it is derived from an animal source. I don't remember hearing that fact before...

You could compare it to the vitamin D situation - D3 is generally derived from sheep's wool, so often vegans would use only products with vitamin D in the D2 form (which is derived from plants).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

never knew that about D3,

Lanolin (German, from Latin lāna, "wool", and oleum, "oil"), also called wool wax or wool grease, commonly known as "sheep sweat", is a yellow waxy substance secreted by the sebaceous glands of wool-bearing animals. Most lanolin used by humans comes from domestic sheep breeds that are raised specifically for their wool; the meat of such breeds is considered vastly inferior in quality to that from breeds raised specifically for their meat, partially due to the presence of lanolin

Mad. I guess if I were vegan I'd have a problem with wool or sweat from a sheep.

I'm not sure about the Lysine process, I can't find much info on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Well both human hair and duck feathers have a lot of lysine and it is extracted from both as far as I know.

Thanks for the info.

Advertisement