Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ranelagh has become a very pricy place to eat

Options
  • 11-02-2013 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭

I was looking for an affordable place to have a sit-down meal in Ranelagh early Saturday evening.

There was almost nowhere from which I would have got out for less than 30 Euro. Milano and the pub next to it were the only places I could find.

The newer restaurants in the area are markedly pricy. There were almost no early birds available. I don't mind paying top dollar for a treat, but there should be a better price selection in an area like that.

Rathmines is IMHO emerging as a much better value place to eat.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,422 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

I was looking for an affordable place to have a sit-down meal in Ranelagh early Saturday evening.

There was almost nowhere from which I would have got out for less than 30 Euro. Milano and the pub next to it were the only places I could find.

The newer restaurants in the area are markedly pricy. There were almost no early birds available. I don't mind paying top dollar for a treat, but there should be a better price selection in an area like that.

Rathmines is IMHO emerging as a much better value place to eat.

Mario's is very reasonable price-wise and the food is good. 4 of us eat there recently, starters, main course and wine for the table and the bill was just under €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,323 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

It's always been pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

Yep, It's always been pricey,

You should have hit La Bodega. Two tapas dishes and you'd be full for 15 quid. Its even cheaper if you get a few people to come with you.

Such good food!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Posher areas will always be more pricy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Have to agree with the others - it's always been pricey, but the last few years have been astronomical. €6 for a pot of tea in one of those pretentious cafes was the last straw for me last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Always has been, service is getting worse though. I don't mind paying for good food but if I'm paying a lot of money I don't want surly, snarky serving staff throwing food at me like they do in Cinnamon.

There are so many good restaurants in town now anyway that I don't really bother with Ranelagh.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I really miss CaféBarDeli. Doing a circuit of the restaurants and ending up there because everywhere else was too expensive was nearly a Saturday evening ritual at one stage.

I've had some good, and reasonably priced, meals in Antica Venezia. And I've heard great things about Michie Sushi.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Forgot Michie Sushi, its by far the best sushi I've had in Ireland and great value too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

I rent in Ranelagh for the last year and have walked by Cinnamon many times intending to check it out for coffee.

On Monday afternoon me and the mot went in and sat down. It was VERY noisy ... and I looked at the small coffee menu. All the cake/cheesecake things had a simple "5" opposite each and every one of them .... and we wondered if it meant €5 ? could it really ?

When the waitress arrived I asked her, and she said yes. I asked, (naively), if that includes coffee ? No, she replied. And is that for one slice of carrot cake ? yes, she replied.

We got up and walked out on principle and went to Insomnia, not a great place itself but a LOT cheaper.

Now that Superquinn has closed it's coffee section the choice of places to have a simple quiet coffee in ranelagh has reduced significantly....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,134 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Ranelagh was and is one of the more so called ''Up market'' and ''Pretentious'' areas in that part of Dublin. I lived between Rathmines and Ranelagh for nearly twenty years so i reckon i seen and heard plenty to be able to come to that verdict :pac:

I have recently in last few years the odd time been down around both places and there both gone to **** to be honest. Rathmines has become dark and almost seedy compared to what i grew up around every second place has shut down changed owner ship or name or just remains empty.

Ranelagh always tried to be this little fancy posh area back then it kinda had some charm to it to a degree though. Now its just full of these over priced cafe bars and posh restaurants. Only the other week i was down there for a few hours and its a million times worse then it ever was the people living and hanging around there match it perfect as well.

Bit of advice unless you are one of these ''Higher society'' stay the feck out of that area if you want any kind of value or enjoyment. The area is not aimed towards regular working class people lol and believe me they dont want that kind around there most the time either.

• Advertisement

Well you obviously had some kind of bad experience. I moved here last year and am very working class. I love it. Best place I've lived for years. Yes the eateries are expensive, but town is only a couple of minutes away. I recommend it to anyone. And both Aldi and Tesco are opening here in a few months to go along with great pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

Piliger wrote: »
    Well you obviously had some kind of bad experience. I moved here last year and am very working class. I love it. Best place I've lived for years. Yes the eateries are expensive, but town is only a couple of minutes away. I recommend it to anyone. And both Aldi and Tesco are opening here in a few months to go along with great pubs.

Tesco is opening in Ranelagh? Whereabouts?

I knew about Aldi but no idea Tesco were looking at the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,134 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

:pac: could of fooled me.

:pac: could of fooled me.

Ahhh the language police are alive and well ........ :P

liffeylite wrote: »

Up close to the new Family Butcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭JayReale

liffeylite wrote: »

It's Lidl, not Aldi...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

There is a nice Italian restaurant there called Luigis.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Up close to the new Family Butcher.

Where is the Family Butcher?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Where is the Family Butcher?

This is where Tesco Express will be, it's opening this Friday the 22nd according to a sign on the door :) .

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

So there'll be lidl, superquinn, centra, spar and now tesco express all in Ranelagh?

Bets on who'll close down first?

• Advertisement

smash wrote: »
    So there'll be lidl, superquinn, centra, spar and now tesco express all in Ranelagh?

Bets on who'll close down first?

I used to shop in Superquinn, even though it was a bit on the expensive side, rather than walk to rathmines for aldi,lidle and Tesco and Dunnes.

But then Superquinn closed the cafe section where I used to have a well priced coffee and a snack before shopping.

Now I'll be using Lidl and Tesco. Superquinn has nothing unique going for it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

I used to shop in Superquinn, even though it was a bit on the expensive side, rather than walk to rathmines for aldi,lidle and Tesco and Dunnes.

But then Superquinn closed the cafe section where I used to have a well priced coffee and a snack before shopping.

Now I'll be using Lidl and Tesco. Superquinn has nothing unique going for it at all.

Its sausages are the food of kings.

Hardly a reason to shop there all the time but still. Mmmmsuperquinnsausages

Advertisement