Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Real Madrid v Manchester United

• 11-02-2013 5:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭

article-2277077-0000090000000CB2-865_634x350.jpg

Likely line ups:

Real Madrid; Diego Lopez, Coentrao, Pepe, Ramos, Arbeloa, Alonso, Khedira, Ozil, Ronaldo, di Maria, Benzema (4-2-3-1)

Man Utd; de Gea, Evra, Vidic, Ferdinand, Rafael, Carrick, Jones, Cleverley, Rooney, Valencia, RvP (4-5-1)

The Madrid lineup almost picks itself with only possibly Varane coming in for Pepe. As for United, it's much more difficult to predict with Evans, Anderson, Kagawa, Nani, Young and Welbeck all feeling they might have a chance of starting.

I think Ferguson will attempt to keep it as tight as possible and hope to frustrate Madrid. If they are still in it after this game, he will feel they have a great chance at OT, a game RM will be going into off the back of two Clasicos.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Can't ****ing wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I fancy Utd to nick a draw here, although how would Utd fans feel with a 2-1 lose, the away goal could be huge in this game, even if ye lost 3-1 theres awlays a chance Real could buckle at Old Trafford.

Any Utd away goal(s) will be priceless in this tie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I'm unbelievably nervous about this tie, but I also can't wait; I'd say the neutral will love these couple of games to no end. I would love to see us nick a win here, even a good scored draw, but I don't can't even hazard a guess to how it might actually end up, could be any result depending on how RM and MUFC are on the day.

Come on United!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Predictions:

- United will lose the tie.
    - All the British clubs will lose their ties.
    - John Giles will be loosening the tie around his neck as a result of not having the foggiest about the teams left in the quarters.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

THE PERFECT MATCH, smh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Mouth watering game, been really looking forward to this since the draw was made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I think Madrid will win this over 2 legs.

First leg is crucial to United they have to score IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭SoulTrader

I'm actually not nervous and I put that down to the fact that I make Real Madrid to be the heavy favourites. We do have a chance but memories of being toyed with by previous Real teams and Barca are hard to shake. If we got through this, I would be ecstatic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Imo United are due to win a tie with Real. Going to be very close but if United get something at all in Bernabeu it bodes well, this is the worst Madrid side on the road since the 90s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Real to win the first leg by a couple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

I think Utd can cause them trouble. This could go the distance & if it does Utd to progress for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭rednik

Should be 2 great games, seems like an age since the draw was made. United to go through.

2-2 both games, extra time plus penalties at OT, Ronaldo Terrys it, Utd go through.

One can always dream!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

If Jones isn't fit I expect Anderson could play, heck he might even consider Rooney man marking Ronny

The team will be

Dea Gea

Rafael
    Rio
    Vidic
    Evra

Jones
    Carrick---Rooney

Valencia
    Kagawa

RVP

Another option is to put Rooney out left, whatever happens Iexpect Rooney to be in some sort of work horse role

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

Paddy power have Madrid to 4/7 to get through. Am I the only one who thinks it will be much closer???
    I cant believe Madrid are such favourites. Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

inmyday wrote: »
    Paddy power have Madrid to 4/7 to get through. Am I the only one who thinks it will be much closer???
    I cant believe Madrid are such favourites. Madness.

Just observing as a neutral I'd have made United the favourites. Whatever people think of the EPL's current standard, ManU are still winning it at a canter. They also breezed through their CL group having already won it after Day 4.

By comparison Madrid are struggling domestically and weren't even convincing in their CL games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Love the videos this lad makes

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Thecon21

If United score at Madrid, it'll give us a huge chance.

I think those 4/7 odds are a bit harsh on Utd also.. Definitely that much of an underdog.

Definitely reckon Rooney will be in a MF role, on the left wing imo, can't see him going DMF. Left-mid with freedom to link up in attack whilest getting back for defensive duties.

Really will be an exciting match :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

roanoke wrote: »
    Just observing as a neutral I'd have made United the favourites. Whatever people think of the EPL's current standard, ManU are still winning it at a canter. They also breezed through their CL group having already won it after Day 4.

By comparison Madrid are struggling domestically and weren't even convincing in their CL games.

I agree. Man Utd will turn Madrid over IMO. Its not the Madrid of old and current form is poor. Man Utd are cruising and with our ex player RVP on board they have the edge.

I just don't get this confidence that United should be favourites.

Hope ye are right mind you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

I just don't get this confidence that United should be favourites.

Hope ye are right mind you.

Well I think Ferguson would be happy for Man Utd to be seen as the underdog in this case, but he knows that his team are better prepared this time than before. 4 strikers now at his call, with the only problem of the defence at times being a bit shaky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

IMO I can't see United out scoring Real over 2 legs.
    With Real having a superior midfield to boot I just don't know how United can stop them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

JPA wrote: »
    IMO I can't see United out scoring Real over 2 legs.
    With Real having a superior midfield to boot I just don't know how United can stop them.
    You could just as easily have made that comment last season, with Chelsea and Barca replacing United and Madrid.

cambo2008 wrote: »
    You could just as easily have made that comment last season, with Chelsea and Barca replacing United and Madrid.

Well I hope you don't rely on United winning in that manner because it won't happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Well I hope you don't rely on United winning in that manner because it won't happen.
    I don't care how it happens tbh. Wouldn't rule anybody out is all I'm saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Looking forward to this one, would actually prefer see Varanne on for Pepe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

article-2277077-0000090000000CB2-865_634x350.jpg

Can't wait,it's nights like these that make you glad to be a United fan.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I don't know about anyone else but I am incredibly nervous about this one already. A score draw would do me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

While it's a tie billed as a matchup of the two biggest clubs in world football, it isn't the two best sides in club football. The specter of Barcelona looms large over all top European games, however that isn't to say that this isn't a glamorous fixture, it is.

I would strongly fancy Real Madrid. A lot of teams are overawed by the history, tradition and sheer size of fame of Man Utd, Real Madrid and their players have an even greater history, tradition and fame driven into them. This is a Madrid team made up of winners, World Cup winners, European Championship winners, Champions League winners, La Liga winners. They wont be overawed or intimidated.

In terms of the quality on the pitch Madrid again have a clear advantage over Man Utd. In Sergio Ramos and Raphael Varane they have two of the finest centre backs in world football right now. In Alonso and Khedira they have a world class duo and their front four of Ronaldo, Ozil, Di Maria and Benzema is one of the strongest and most effective forward line's I've ever seen.

Man Utd's weaknesses are well documented, against the quick and fluid Madrid frontline they could well struggle, in midfield they are outmatched and they will rely on the individual genius of RVP and Rooney but against Ramos (a man at the very peak of his powers) and Pepe or Varane there is no guarantee that they will produce. Against the might of the aggressive Madrid press you would expect Man Utd to struggle.

Of course that could be all wrong and Man Utd might get a result, they might even go through but personally I cant see it happening. Yes this Madrid side has struggled in the league but they have lifted themselves in games against Barcelona when they've been called upon. This is a great Real Madrid side, in the shadow of their rivals Barcelona yes, but still a great side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,324 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

It will be an intriguing tie no doubt of that.

Madrid tend to struggle against teams that sit back and try to play on the break,and that is exactly what Utd will do.
    I'm not a fan of Utd's away style in Europe,its far too cautious and negative .

Overall I think Madrid will go through for a few reasons .
    Mourinho tends to get the better of Ferguson in their head to head matches.
    Ferguson is tactically naive in the big matches as was highlighted by the hiding Utd received 2 years ago vs Barcelona.

Real are not playing as well as they were last season but they are still the second best team in the world ,and gave Barcelona a tough game 2 weeks ago .This Utd team would be destroyed by Barca .
    This Utd team is probably the worst in 15 years and they are cantering along in the weakest EPL in history.

Utd also have a very poor record on Spanish soil .

Saying that this tie is a must win for Madrid.They are under extreme pressure to progress and that could have a big outcome on their performance.
    If they do not progress Mourinho will be out of a job ,there is no doubt of that .the pressure could get to them.

The first goal on Wednesday night will be all important ,both defences are leaky but Utd's is superior now that Vidic is back.
    Madrid have the far superior midfield though while both offences are potent.

Should be a cracker.

This tie will tell a lot about how good Carrick really is.

He needs to the doubters that he can play well against strong midfield.

*snip ln Sergio Ramos and Raphael Varane they have two of the finest centre backs in world football right now. *snip

I agree with a lot of what you say in that United are facing a team of vast quality but the comment about Varane is very premature in his career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

This tie will tell a lot about how good Carrick really is.

He needs to the doubters that he can play well against strong midfield.

I wouldn't say Carrick gives a sh1te what people think of him at this stage. The England set up dont rate him too highly either.

Anyone who can't see what a good player Carrick is hasn't a clue. He needs to prove nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

I agree with a lot of what you say in that United are facing a team of vast quality but the comment about Varane is very premature in his career.

He's played quite a bit recently, he has been excellent in those games, never more so than against Barcelona in the first leg of the Copa del Rey, it was a masterclass in defending, the commentator on the night called it the best Clasico debut he's ever seen.

Everyone knows that the young Frenchman is destined to be one of, if not the very best centre back in the world. Personally I think he is already right up there.

Of course he may not even play, Pepe is hardly a slouch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I wouldn't say Carrick gives a sh1te what people think of him at this stage. The England set up dont rate him too highly either.

Anyone who can't see what a good player Carrick is hasn't a clue. He needs to prove nothing.

It's this kind of game where he really needs to step up,far too often he's been invisible in big,big games where we play against a strong midfield.He just seems to lose it mentally when put under pressure.
    He's had a great season & has even made me (one of his harshest critics) give him praise,but I hope he doesn't do a disappearing act & plays his own game.If he does then we have a decent chance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Really looking forward to this as a neutral. Champions League KO rounds are usually entertaining.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Dislike both teams as they keep winning things (Arsenal fan here) :D

This is going to be a cracker of a game.

whoooo hoooo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭SoulTrader

Referee is Felix Brych, he who sent Vidic off in the Champions League last year. (In fairness, although the challenge wasn't malicious, I could understand European refs giving a red for it.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,076 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Think Madrid will go through, but it will be tight.

Think both teams will score in both legs.

zerks wrote: »
    It's this kind of game where he really needs to step up,far too often he's been invisible in big,big games where we play against a strong midfield.He just seems to lose it mentally when put under pressure.
    He's had a great season & has even made me (one of his harshest critics) give him praise,but I hope he doesn't do a disappearing act & plays his own game.If he does then we have a decent chance.

Typically against the bigger side Manchester United's problem has been a collapse from the front. We can't retain the ball and as Carrick sits in front of the back four he looks the most exposed. Yet the other players are never questioned to the same level as Carrick. Carrick's problem (or not) is that he's always there making an effort to press the ball and use it. Too often his team-mates don't offer the same effort and awareness. He's our moment of calmness when others are giving away silly ball.

My biggest worry is Vidic and his erratic passing under pressure and who will partner Michael Carrick in the middle. I know the 'experts' are suggesting that we can't attack Madrid but unfortunately we're useless without the ball so we don't have much choice.

This game screams out Park Ji-Sung to me. Would love to have the Park of a couple of years ago against Real Madrid. We need a big game player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

United are going to play the usual hoofball against the big teams, hopefully RVP who has been able to somewhat counterbalance this can get it into the lads at the back's heads to play it easy, Rafael has had a big problem with this in recent weeks, just gifts it back to the opposition when under pressure a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

This Utd team is probably the worst in 15 years and they are cantering along in the weakest EPL in history.

Dont get that line.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83172954&postcount=143

dont want to thread spoil.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Dont get that line.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83172954&postcount=143

dont want to thread spoil.

Yes but that's happened for a long time now. When we reached 3 out of 4 Champions League Finals; Manchester United were considered one of the worst teams to win the league/CL. It's typical bullshít that has cemented itself into 'analysis'. It's nothing more than pub fodder for the simple minded. The Premier League has been the worst league in the world every time Manchester United win the league. I agree with you, it's complete bollocks.

I think it's completely polarised with the way that Bayern Munich are treated by the media who are always lauded as being a spectacular, powerful side. It really mystifies me as over the past number of years our CL record is similar yet we are treated so different and Bayern have been as unspectacular at times and big occasion bottlers over the past few years.

The fact is that Manchester United's current team is always the worst team.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I think Madrid will win this over 2 legs.

First leg is crucial to United they have to score IMO.

I think United will win over two legs, possibly on away goals. That said, a 2-0 defeat would be a very bad result in the Bernabeu.

Of all central midfields that United could face amongst the big names, Alonso and Khedira wouldn't be the most dynamic and fearsome. Ozil could be if he plays and how long before he is taken off. With a keeper such as De Gea, you can just let Ronaldo have his shots from 70 yards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

The tide is in, the fishermen are out. Don't bite lads, well at least not until about 7 on Wed by when I'll have settled in down at the local.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Threw €20 on with a mate, I've Madrid to go through. Really looking forward to the match!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Overall I think Madrid will go through for a few reasons .
    Mourinho tends to get the better of Ferguson in their head to head matches.
    Their record in Champions League knockout games against each other is 1-1. Mourinho won one of their last four encounters domestically.
    Ferguson is tactically naive in the big matches as was highlighted by the hiding Utd received 2 years ago vs Barcelona.
    Whatever about the first final between the two, we didn't have the tools to beat Barcelona in Wembley. United were always going to pick the team they did in the way they did because of form and fitness, and as a result the match was predictable.

Not that losing to the best club side of modern times should be seen as a sign of tactical naivety anyway.

United are going to lose this game not because of their midfield (though no holding option apart from Jones, which is a square peg situation, doesn't help) but because of our defence. Twice this season in big games at away grounds, United have gone two nil up, then sat back and tried to defend deep while still looking to exploit countering opportunities obviously. In both, we've been pegged back to 2-2. Even mitigating for Young's disallowed goal in the Manchester Derby, for the same situation to occur twice speaks of a lack of reslilence. If we're pressured, we'll crack eventually. I don't see why it'll be any different against a better side. 3-1, followed by a 1-1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

zerks wrote: »
    IMG

Edited into OP :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

All i've heard for the past few weeks from a few mates is that CR7 is gonna tear us apart.

I know Fergie has been tactically naive in some Euro games over the years, but these people are forgetting Fergie is the manager who knows most about Ronaldo, he made him what he is, and if any manager knows how to stop him, then it's Fergie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,076 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

"Ronaldo, 1 nil".

I can hear it now!

• Advertisement
Advertisement