Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Real Madrid v Manchester United

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Robbie Savage
    "We saw on numerous occasions Rio Ferdinand's experience, and how he is being overlooked by England is beyond me. The way he played with Evans tonight and stopped Higuain, Benzema and Ronaldo getting a look in was fantastic.
    "On that form you have to ask whether Vidic will get back in. Rafael was vulnerable in the first half, I think he steadied in the second and although Evra should have done better for the goal he had a decent game. United's strength is the back four and they did all they could tonight."
    There wasn't as much intensity from both teams in the second half as the first, Ferdinand, Evans, Jones and Carrick were fantastic. United will be happy with a point but with the attacking players Real have I think they will score at Old Trafford. "I don't think the Old Trafford pitch will suit them, it's a tough pitch to play on. I think United will be favourites with the away goal behind them and a fantastic atmosphere at Old Trafford to come. United will be happy with the draw but could have won it at the end

Things i take issue with:
    Ferdinand was below average, Evans carried him.
    Vidic, if fit, will get back in. - easily.
    Rafael only improved when Ronaldo went off him. He was still poor after that, just not as poor as he had been.
    Utd played with a back 7, not 4.
    Carrick was invisible.
    Why would Old Trafford, an expansive pitch, not suit real madrid?

apart from that, spot on Robbie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Yeah it definitely came up as two minutes originally. Anyway who gives a **** about it in the end.

The ref can blow up when he wants, although it was mildly irritating as RVP looked as if he had started his run up.

The Rooney bollix talk on RTE is laughable, even for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

niallo27 wrote: »
    I think he wants to be the main man on the big night rather than putting in a shift on the wing. He didn't look happy at all.

Trying very hard and half of your posts in this thread are just cheap shots on ManUtd players and some lolworthy posts. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Good result for United. I would still expect Madrid to go through but as Chelsea showed last year anything is possible. It's nicely set up for 'Ronnie' to shine on his 'homecoming' though.

MIN2511 wrote: »
    Is anyone still listening the Eamon Dunphy???? "It's the end of an era for Madrid" :pac:
    The Mourinho era, he said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

donfers wrote: »
    don't know why this game was hyped up so much, barcelona, bayern and even dortmund on a different level to both these sides

real madrid dominated but united parked the bus, 0-0 will do them at old trafford so they may do the same there but i think they play better when they go at teams and real won't miss as much chances again, real to go through as they have better attacking players overall while both defenses are average
    Utd have built a fortress at OT with their form. Combine that with Real's away form this season means I disagree that Real will go through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Just a tip for the future,

if you want to try and sounds intelligent by saying something, best not steal it almost word from word off the same thing we were all just listening to on RTE

Did they say that, may I catch my knob on barbed wire tommorrow if I'm lying about not listening to anything after the game. Also who the **** rattled your cage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Have you seen Old Trafford's pitch lately?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

No mention of the potential sending off at all. Was a huge moment in the tie

• Advertisement

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Missed one great chance granted but had at least a couple of brilliant efforts he had no right to and was fantastic tonight overall.

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    No mention of the potential sending off at all. Was a huge moment in the tie
    That's because it was, if not a dive, certainly not a foul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

The real talking point from the game is why the ref didnt give us a free kick and dish out a red card when evra was through on goal and was taken out of it, disgraceful lack of refereeing. Cant help but feel we would have been in a much more comfortable position had the game been refereed properly.

Strong argument for madrid to finish with 9 men also remembering ramos dirty elbow in the first half.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Trying very hard and half of your posts in this thread are just cheap shots on ManUtd players and some lolworthy posts. :o

That's bollox and you know it, I'm calling as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Calling it as you see it

and seen as you dont know the difference between 2 and 3, we all know what little respect those opinions deserve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Van Persie reminded me of Drogba in those big away games, relieving pressure every time he got the ball. He was excellent tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Strong argument for madrid to finish with 9 men also remembering ramos dirty elbow in the first half.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Oh your just getting old now, give it up!

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Calling it as you see it

and seen as you dont know the difference between 2 and 3, we all know what little respect those opinions deserve

As many people have pointed out it said 2 mins on screen. Try again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Niallo, stop winding people up. The rest of you, stop replying to Niallo27.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,888 ✭✭✭✭klose

I still cant get over ronnies goal, he defied gravity staying in the air that long and got so much power from a header from the penalty spot, amazing! Nothing but net...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

Great result. Was impressed with how we set up defensively. Welbeck caused them problems and made their centre halves turn towards their goal - great tactical decision by Ferguson. Jones played very well.

I think Jose encouraged less forward runs from Coentrao at halftime because i guess he figured a second united goal would be disastrous. I think Madrid's game suffered in the second half as a result. Jose has a tendency to make cautious decisions when his team arent steamrollering the opposition - he reverted to that tonight and a game he should have won 2-1 or 3-1 ended in a draw.

kmart6 wrote: »
    Oh your just getting old now, give it up!
    We're all getting old, your goggles don't fool us.
    What about the pen for blatant push on Di Maria?

If only..

Edit: Sorry Mars Bar. Didn't see your post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Renn wrote: »

While i do like the smiley face, it sure could do with discussion before or after it to gauge your opinion.

• Advertisement

klose wrote: »
    I still cant get over ronnies goal, he defied gravity staying in the air that long and got so much power from a header from the penalty spot, amazing! Nothing but net...

I know it's a cliche but it gets better every time you watch it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

Rte punditry has been really bad tonight, lads are losing their edge by talking sh*te.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Very good result but I'm actually disappointed Van Persie didn't convert one of his chances. 1-1 is great to take back to Old Trafford but 2-1 would have been fantastic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

United fans were terrific tonight too could hear them throughout game.

Still 50/50 game but would of taken that before game.

Real are just about favourite to qualify.

• Advertisement

Sigh. Don't even know why I am responding because you clearly don't wat reasons debate but anyway here goes...

It was a peno for Madrid with the shove by Jones and it was a foul and probably a red card for the clear foul against Utd.

The fact that you can see the Utd incident as not a foul and then call someone out for the Jones shove speaks volumes on your agenda in here tonight.

dubmick wrote: »
    Rte punditry has been really bad tonight, lads are losing their edge by talking sh*te.
    If only BBC had the CL. You could listen to Gary Lineker, Alan Hansen and Alan Shearer tell us how Utd are the best team in the world, followed by bumslapping and discussion on how Rooney was actually motm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

Delighted. Even if we go out, they done us proud.

Ronaldo carbon copy goal in eco final.

Thought Jones was effective.

Johner wrote: »

How so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

And with your continued utter tripe I'm out....

adox wrote: »
    Sigh. Don't even know why I am responding because you clearly don't wat reasons debate but anyway here goes...

It was a peno for Madrid with the shove by Jones and it was a foul and probably a red card for the clear foul against Utd.

The fact that you can see the Utd incident as not a foul and then call someone out for the Jones shove speaks volumes on your agenda in here tonight.
    I didn't see the utd incident tbh, I just assumed it was a dive judging by how easy the other players went down all evening.

How so?

With the bookies I mean. 4/5 Real, 10/11 United.

With the bookies I mean. 4/5 Real, 10/11 United.
    Ah sorry, didnt realise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

I didn't see the utd incident tbh, I just assumed it was a dive judging by how easy the other players went down all evening.

'Didn't see it but here's a pointless assumption'

Classic. :D

United can be got at 6/5 on Betfair atm. Think that looks a decent price, probably should be evens the pair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

For the foul on Evra the ref missed the push in the box to give Real a pen so maybe thats it all evened out

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

dubmick wrote: »

I turned to SS2 after 6 minutes. SD >>>>>>> HD + Ray Houghton

Leftist wrote: »

'Didn't see it but here's a pointless assumption'

Classic. :D
    qualified assumption tbf.

Just feck off at this stage tbh

Ah sorry, didnt realise.

I think its a pretty good price for United, I'd have the odds the other way round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

klose wrote: »

Your namesake would have been proud of it.

Proving my point to a tee.

It's astonishing the likes of you get away with it so consistently in here.
    I'm sure you think you think you are hilarious but its a pain in the hole for most.

Anyway I'm out before I get drawn into this crap too much and end up taking a holiday from the forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

For the foul on Evra the ref missed the push in the box to give Real a pen so maybe thats it all evened out

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Where? Betfair have united big favourite.

Edit Oddschecker wrong but United are marginal favourites to go through with them

• Advertisement

For the Ramos incident? Elbowing Evans.

Advertisement