Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Real Madrid v Manchester United

1101112131416»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Where? Betfair have united big favourite.

Stan James.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Where? Betfair have united big favourite.

No they don't, 1.84 Madrid, 2.16 United

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

Can someone please find a gif of Giggs' tackle on Arbeloa?? :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    For the Ramos incident? Elbowing Evans.

Jones pushing over Di Maria

• Advertisement

United are favourites without a shadow of a doubt.

Home game to come with away goal in the bag against a Madrid team who have underperformed away from home this season.

Can't see ManU slipping up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Try harder that's just a fail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

team for the 2nd leg

deagea

smalling
    Rio
    Vidic
    Evra

Valencia----Jones
    Carrick
    Young

Rooney

Rvp

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

It's either a massive fail reply or I'm assuming you missed the point.

Penalty not given to Madrid and Red card not given to Varane. So both are leveled.

What about the Ramos elbow incident which should have been straight red? Which decision are you going to bring to level it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Fair play Welbeck great effort

ur a fickle man.... surprised u watched it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Pleased with that result. Very good first half but the second wasn't up to much with Real controlling it. Wellbeck put in a very good shift, Van Persie showed some nice touches and should have made it 2-1, Kagawa was disappointing but didn't get much possession. De Gea was Utd's best player, some top class saves.

Ronaldo's header was a thing of beauty. All set up nicely for a brilliant second leg with Utd favourites to go through.

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    http://www.betfair.com/exchange/football/market?id=1.107787460&exp=e

No offence but if you were backing in that first market you really shouldn't be on BF

Lol I figured both would be the same given that the bet is the same. I'm not taking responsibility for betfair being clumsy and creating separate markets for the same bet :p A good site would offer the same market which ever route you approached the bet.

Lol I figured both would be the same given that the bet is the same. I'm not taking responsibility for betfair being clumsy and creating separate markets for the same bet :p A good site would offer the same market which ever route you approached the bet.

A 'good site' would offer the disgusting 4/5 Madrid and 10/11 United odds you seen on the other page. You don't understand how the site works, it's punter vs punter with no bookie involved. Obviously the site can't make people put money into whichever market.

Anyway, im moving away from the point. The 6/5 United looks very fair

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

What a game - over 40 shots on goal and over 20 corners. You rarely see the likes of that! Didn't disappoint and is really finely poised for the 2nd leg. Find it very difficult to predict a winner here.

A very strange situation being very slightly (grudgingly) up for United probably for the first time in my life (other than when a result would favour Liverpool).

United have an away goal and it's a good result for them, but in the context of the game it's not worth as much as you might think.

Like I said - over 40 shots tonight and a very open game. 2-2 is more likely than 0-0 in the 2nd leg. I can't see Madrid not scoring so the away goal might not count for much. This is not a cagey/tactical Champions League tie.

Also, that save after 5 minutes by de Gea was absolutely world class. An incredible and very important stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Morzadec wrote: »
    What a game - over 40 shots on goal and over 20 corners. You rarely see the likes of that! Didn't disappoint and is really finely poised for the 2nd leg. Find it very difficult to predict a winner here.

A very strange situation being very slightly (grudgingly) up for United probably for the first time in my life (other than when a result would favour Liverpool).

United have an away goal and it's a good result for them, but in the context of the game it's not worth as much as you might think.

Like I said - over 40 shots tonight and a very open game. 2-2 is more likely than 0-0 in the 2nd leg. I can't see Madrid not scoring so the away goal might not count for much. This is not a cagey/tactical Champions League tie.

Also, that save after 5 minutes by de Gea was absolutely world class. An incredible and very important stop.

Excellent post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

20 corners exactly. Scum, fixed refereeing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Fergie give his interview yet?

Heres mous

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    A 'good site' would offer the disgusting 4/5 Madrid and 10/11 United odds you seen on the other page. You don't understand how the site works, it's punter vs punter with no bookie involved. Obviously the site can't make people put money into whichever market.

Anyway, im moving away from the point. The 6/5 United looks very fair

I know exactly how the site works and it would be pretty easy to have the two markets linked so laying and betting on one occur on both. It would be offering multiple "paths" to the market but the underlying code pointing to the same combined market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    It's either a massive fail reply or I'm assuming you missed the point.

Penalty not given to Madrid and Red card not given to Varane. So both are leveled.

What about the Ramos elbow incident which should have been straight red? Which decision are you going to bring to level it..

I was going on more the pushing and pulling of players.

Di Maria getting pushed over and Evra getting pulled back

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

nuxxx wrote: »
    Fergie give his interview yet?

Heres mous

Here's absolutely right in what he says, Madrid can certainly score more than 1 goal at OT.

20 corners exactly. Scum, fixed refereeing.

Welcome to Madrid!

In fairness there were 2 key decisions tonight:

- There was a very good shout for a Real Madrid penalty (Jones on Di Maria). It's not stonewall but I think there could be few complaints if it were given. Out side the box it's a free all day long. I can see why he didn't give it as there was all that much in it, but it was not a simple shoulder to shoulder or easing a player off the ball.

- The foul on Evra. A clear foul and a case for a red. I almost felt the ref chickened out - felt that if he blew he would have to give a red (or not give a red) and he would be shrouded in controversy. I got the impression he probably thought it would be easier to pretend he didn't see it - just a mistake here and no controversy. Maybe I'm being cynical and he really thought there was so foul but it smacked of cowardice for me from the ref.

The corner decision was obviously ridiculous too, but don;t know if we can call it key.

Also does the last corner not taken not count as a corner? I mean a corner was awarded but not taken - would still have thought it counted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Lifted from Redcafe:

377596_582525365110019_1781609536_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,787 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

spiralism wrote: »
    Lifted from Redcafe:

377596_582525365110019_1781609536_n.jpg
    Come home Ronnie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

What prompted this change of heart? I'd kinda understand if RM deserved nothing but a draw was the least they should have got from this.

Couldn't believe the defence in the quality of the defending. Even the simplest balls over the top had RM in panic mode.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

rarnes1 wrote: »
    United are favourites without a shadow of a doubt.

Home game to come with away goal in the bag against a Madrid team who have underperformed away from home this season.

Can't see ManU slipping up

Beware that away record stat. That's for teams who played like United did tonight, but will United do that at home...

Also, Madrid may have a dodgy away record, but they've also drawn 2-2 at the Nou Camp and beat Valencia 5-0 at the Mestalla.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Ramos should have been sent off for a deliberate elbow but got two players carded for nothing incidents. The ref was inept.

That being said, I'm delighted with the result and felt we should have nicked it with the 2 RVP chances. They were the best chances that fell to anybody all night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Ramos should have been sent off for a deliberate elbow but got two players carded for nothing incidents. The ref was inept.

That being said, I'm delighted with the result and felt we should have nicked it with the 2 RVP chances. They were the best chances that fell to anybody all night.
    Giggs had a golden chance too. Why the f**k did he not just hit it first time???
    On his left and all :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Giggs had a golden chance too. Why the f**k did he not just hit it first time???
    On his left and all :confused:

No idea why he didn't pull the trigger there. Fergie played a blinder tonight lads. Gave us a real fighting chance going into the next game. This is what the CL is all about. Feck playing Shakhtar in the second round. United vrs Real is where it's at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Here's absolutely right in what he says, Madrid can certainly score more than 1 goal at OT.

They can certainly concede more than one also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Got to be happy enough overall with the result, the performance was a bit too nervous, particularly the first half, for my liking, but the result puts us in a good position to get through, couple of chances we missed may come back to haunt us unfortunately though.

Defending for 90 minutes will not work imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

kryogen wrote: »
    Defending for 90 minutes will not work imo

United won't try and defend for 90 minutes, it's not their style. The defended when they had to tonight but they also posed a very serious threat going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Hoping United can do it, can't bear the thought of Real progressing to knock Barca out before going on to win it. United would be a stroll in the park for Barca again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Hoping United can do it, can't bear the thought of Real progressing to knock Barca out before going on to win it. United would be a stroll in the park for Barca again.

Such a lazy statement. I didn't watch tonight's game and have no interest in the tie as a whole but United are never "a stroll in the park" for anybody (that famous 6-1 at OT aside of course :D :cool:)

I wouldn't be surprised if they win it this year the way they've been churning out results both domestically and in Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

NUTZZ wrote: »
    United won't try and defend for 90 minutes, it's not their style. The defended when they had to tonight but they also posed a very serious threat going forward.

United played very defensively tonight.

It's completely United's style to put in purely defensive performances and live off counter attacks and set pieces. It's been a regular occurrence in the CL knock-out games for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Dcully wrote: »
    Mancs to get another lesson from spanish opposition imho.

Glad you were wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

It very much has been the style for some time now, i dont see us keeping a clean sheet either! Never know of course but the sheer volume of chances meant tonights result was on the unusually low scoring side, similar shots on goal in the second leg will surely bring more goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I was very impressed with how United did on the night. If I'm honest I was expecting 3-1 to Madrid. The Welbeck selection paid off in a big way and I thought he acquitted himself very well. I thought all of United's players did well with the exception of Rafael who struggled.

I was surprised Mourinho took off Di Maria as he looked dangerous every time he got on the ball. I think that was a bad call.

I wouldn't give much of an edge to United though. I still see this tie as 50/50 and I would put Madrid as favourites as they have the better players on paper. Good night's work, however. Shame Van Persie scuffed that great chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Pro. F wrote: »
    United played very defensively tonight.

It's completely United's style to put in purely defensive performances and live off counter attacks and set pieces. It's been a regular occurrence in the CL knock-out games for years.
    kryogen wrote: »
    It very much has been the style for some time now, i dont see us keeping a clean sheet either! Never know of course but the sheer volume of chances meant tonights result was on the unusually low scoring side, similar shots on goal in the second leg will surely bring more goals.

There's a difference in 'defending for 90 minutes' and putting in a defensive performance is the point I was trying to make. United won't set out to park the bus in the second leg.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ooPabsoo

Fergie Interview...

What prompted this change of heart?.

There are many many reasons why I have very little respect for Real Madrid as a football club. I have to say I watched their defeat to Bayern in the semis last year almost as if I were a Munich fan.

Like I said I'm pretty much neutral here - I'm not a fan at all of either club, and I don't really care who goes through, but there is much more to respect about United than Madrid.

Here are some of the reasons I'm grudgingly favouring United:

I live in Madrid now and they always go on about 'La Décima' (the 10th Champions League title) and when they will win it. They won more than half of these titles almost uncontested in the 50s, (spearheaded by Di Stefano whom they essentially stole from under the noses of Barcelona) yet they will constantly claim it makes them the 'best' club in the world. I would really hate to see them lift the trophy this year.

They funded their Galacticos with tax-payers money (selling their training ground to the council) yet still failed relatively-speaking - meanwhile not giving the likes of Mata, Soldado, Arbeloa, and Borja Valero a chance.

Marca is a disgrace of a publication and they stirred things up needlessly by referring to Rooney and United fans as hooligans the day before the match. That made me want to see them get stuffed.

Many of the current personnel of Madrid players are a really dislikeable bunch, including their manager. United at the moment don't have such a huge amount, and even Fergie has mellowed in recent years.

They are part of this horribly unfair duopoly that has ruined Spanish football in many ways. The likes of Valencia and Depor can't compete any more which is sad.

I've started supporting Atleti since I arrived here, so my dislike for them has intensified.

Madrid took 3 key players at key times from Liverpool, so the dislike has been there for a while! McManaman, Owen, Alonso.

Also perhaps not being in Dublin surrounded by a load of annoying gloating United fans has probably swayed my opinion a bit. I only know 2 United fans here and they're not the annoying sort.

A final reason is that I believe that a victory for Madrid here would be a massive victory for La Liga over the Premier League. For me, it would be the definitive blow that would mark the Premier League as inferior (especially if Arsenal were to lose to Bayern as I expect they will). This is what a lot of Madridistas and Culés think. The Premier League is the league I follow, and while I don't want United to do well, there'd be a part of me that would enjoy watching the Spanish press crying and wondering how they lost to a team from such an 'inferior' league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

There's a difference in 'defending for 90 minutes' and putting in a defensive performance is the point I was trying to make. United won't set out to park the bus in the second leg.

They might or they might not, but parking the bus is within what can be described as United's style for a good few years now. Fergie has sent his team out to do that a good few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

Cant stop thinking that we should have got that second goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

I'd agree, Mocha. Hard to see Madrid failing to score next leg. And unless de Gea has another miracle night, it could be a few.

Advertisement