Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Real Madrid v Manchester United

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

NIMAN wrote: »
    "Ronaldo, 1 nil".

I can hear it now!

It's a dream, WAKE UP, you've pissed the bed ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,076 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

A nightmare for Utd hopefully!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

United are going to lose this game not because of their midfield (though no holding option apart from Jones, which is a square peg situation, doesn't help) but because of our defence. Twice this season in big games at away grounds, United have gone two nil up, then sat back and tried to defend deep while still looking to exploit countering opportunities obviously. In both, we've been pegged back to 2-2. Even mitigating for Young's disallowed goal in the Manchester Derby, for the same situation to occur twice speaks of a lack of reslilence. If we're pressured, we'll crack eventually. I don't see why it'll be any different against a better side. 3-1, followed by a 1-1.

The defence has been a different animal since Vidic has come back to fitness and form. I think people have forgotten how good he is, and obviously any back line is going to miss one of the world's best defenders. He was immense again on Sunday and the calm and organisation he brings makes everyone beside him better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

More of a chance of Jesus returning then Manchester united to go through.

2-0 real. Ronald with the 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

United are going to lose this game not because of their midfield (though no holding option apart from Jones, which is a square peg situation, doesn't help) but because of our defence. Twice this season in big games at away grounds, United have gone two nil up, then sat back and tried to defend deep while still looking to exploit countering opportunities obviously. In both, we've been pegged back to 2-2. Even mitigating for Young's disallowed goal in the Manchester Derby, for the same situation to occur twice speaks of a lack of reslilence. If we're pressured, we'll crack eventually. I don't see why it'll be any different against a better side. 3-1, followed by a 1-1.

I disagree re: it being the defence's fault.

Both those situations and actually a lot of games recently, united's midfield has falled right back on top of the centre halves. Maybe as directed by the management given their total lack of protecting the centre halves last season.

The midfield is near on useless and cleverley adds about as much defensive cover as a fart in the wind. The defence, imo have then been bombarded (Bombardment!) and any ball they move out of defence just comes back on top of them as rooney's ability to hold up the ball and or get in front of his marker is non-existent.

We'll get tonked though, nqat. 3-1 and 1-1 sound right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Oranage2 wrote: »
    More of a chance of Jesus returning then Manchester united to go through.

2-0 real. Ronald with the 2.

This guy http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jes%C3%BAs_Fern%C3%A1ndez_Collado

Or the son of Mary?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

This Utd team is probably the worst in 15 years and they are cantering along in the weakest EPL in history.

The worst United team in 15 years?? Tell that to Ruud Van Nistelrooy who had to rely on Quentin Fortune, Liam Miller, Djemba-Djemba and David Bellion supplying the bullets for him back in the early / mid noughties :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

s_carnage wrote: »
    Love the videos this lad makes

Better than ANY clips sky or any other channell put together, that guy should be earning big bucks in advertising media instead of sitting in his bedroom (unless he does already)

Amazing, that has me pumped, can't ****ing wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Thecon21

Madness looking at some of the odds for the game, crazy seeing Utd at 4/1 to win. Understandable I guess with how hard it will be, seen RvP 7/1 for 1st goalscorer too.

I'm throwing a fiver on United to win and RvP to score anytime, 13/2.

Can't wait for the game, hoping it'll be a pure battle of the giants of Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

A lot of ABU's in this thread..

I'd tell ya's to go to your own Champions League match threads.. But most of you wouldn't have one ;)

Which ever one is less likely.

United are going to need some amount of luck not to concede atleast 2, I think we all know united is going to park the bus a la bolton style and hopefully RVP will nick a goal.

Entertainment wise its going to be dull so I might watch the shaktar brussia match instead but seeing united get humiliated through my fingers will be a horror show not to miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

United are going to need some amount of luck not to concede atleast 2, I think we all know united is going to park the bus a la bolton style and hopefully RVP will nick a goal.

Entertainment wise its going to be dull so I might watch the shaktar brussia match instead but seeing united get humiliated through my fingers will be a horror show not to miss.

Arsenal's entire tactical plan for 2011/2012.

Why are you posting regularly in this thread just to be an ABU?

If I was a neutral I would just be looking forward to a good game of football with two great teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Thecon21 wrote: »

If I was a neutral I would just be looking forward to a good game of football with two great teams.

Yes but Manchester United murdered his granny. He wants revenge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Real will probably dominate but that means nothing.

It's been clearly shown this year that they struggle hugely against teams that don't come out and attack them. They're obviously super fast and deadly on the counterattack but they lack the craft to play through a well organised bank of 9/10 men.

Utd just need to play this one like Stoke and take their chances when they come.

I think the fact that all is not well in Madrid means they can lose this one in their heads the longer it goes on.

• Advertisement

It shouldn't be very good though. Granada showed how to beat Real on the weekend and Fergie would be a fool to take them on where they're stronger. Park the bus for the away leg!! Park it - then clamp it!

Utd will more than likely score at least one so there's no need to turn it into a game of football.

Play Smalling instead of Rafa and Valencia in front of him. Fit Jones beside Carrick in midfield. Could Rooney play LMF? If so, play him there with Cleverly behind RVP. De Gea will look like a genius stopping all the shots from distance.

Smalling - Evans - Vidic - Evra
    Valencia - Jones - Carrick - Rooney
    Cleverly
    RVP

Mocha Joe wrote: »
    Arsenal's entire tactical plan for 2011/2012.

and now utd's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I wouldn't take too much notice of him. If Arsenal had drawn Madrid he would be on here talking up their chances :D
    He's got a case of silverware deficiency syndrome, it makes you bitter and resentful towards teams who have won anything in recent years :pac:

No offence to any other Arsenal fans...

cambo2008 wrote: »
    I wouldn't take too much notice of him. If Arsenal had drawn Madrid he would be on here talking up their chances :D
    He's got a case of silverware deficiency syndrome, it makes you bitter and resentful towards teams who have won anything in recent years :pac:

No offence to any other Arsenal fans...

Well duuuuhhhhhh, you forgot the 4th place trophy.

No offence taken btw.

I kind of get where he's coming from though. You'd figure Madrid will win because they're a lot stronger in midfield and fairly evenly matched everywhere else. Plus they've Ronaldo who can score from next to nothing while RVP will still need service.

However, i think his ideas are a year out of date. Real have stagnated and as mentioned struggle to break down teams. You'd kind of tend to categorise them alongside Barca but they've no one like Iniesta or Messi to work through packed defences. That's pretty much why they are where they are in the league this season - Stoke would do well against them.

Personally i think Utd will go through. The league's in the bag, they're on a high and so on. While Real know this is their last chance this season, the manager's going and so on.

cambo2008 wrote: »

:D Ha nice one! That must be the case so!

Ah I know it'll be a very tough game to get anything from and more of a tight match too, I'm a United fan and I expect a defensive approach.

What I meant was that if I was a neutral, I would love to see a great, entertaining game between two good teams :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

gosplan wrote: »
    and now utd's

Nah. Shure don't we have Rooney to boot it up to as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Revista de La Liga will be previewing this game tonight, on SS1 at 7.30 for anyone interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Trying to defend will lead to Real Madrid goals. Though if they can limit them to 2 and nick one themselves thanks to RVP then game on. I think 3-1 though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

dsmythy wrote: »
    Trying to defend will lead to Real Madrid goals. Though if they can limit them to 2 and nick one themselves thanks to RVP then game on. I think 3-1 though.

There's a difference between playing defensively (which i don't think we'll do) and soaking up a bit of pressure/containing them in midfield and counterattacking (which i think we will do).

There's no need at all for us to go out there and put 10 men behind the ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,888 ✭✭✭✭klose

NeVeR wrote: »
    A lot of ABU's in this thread..

I'd tell ya's to go to your own Champions League match threads.. But most of you wouldn't have one ;)

Vic_Bob_Handbags_RE_Triple_Combo-s383x269-56957.jpg

Should be a humdinger of a game hopefully, the bvb/donetsk game is on too why must there be so much good football on at once!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭dorkacle

Van Persie at some stage getting absolutely clobbered by Pepe and missing the rest of the season :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Finding it difficult to be optimistic about this one. Just think Madrid have too much quality. Hope they have an off day but I don't think they will. I'm just hoping their defence is poor and RVP gets a few opportunities because I think a United clean sheet is out of the question.

I'm getting a full dose of the Kevin Keegans here from reading this thread. I really would LOVE it if we beat them at the Bernabeu, even if we get hammered at OT, just to stun many bitter footie fans for a bit. I forgot that tomorrow's game will be like a cup final for many non Utd/RM fans as well.

On a somewhat related note, which maybe is a thread in itself, where is the actual evidence that the Premier League has declined in the last x amount of years? This is always a stick used to beat Utd with mainly by fans of non-achieving teams. It's kind of like saying "Sure why would we want to win it anyway? It's no good."

There's little doubt that La Liga is currently superior to the EPL and Utd's underdog status is definitely warranted, but to have the result decided upon before a ball is kicked is logic that I can't grasp, and no it isn't 'common sense'.

Anyway, roll on tomorrow night, it could be disappointing for us but nights like this is what it's all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

stankratz wrote: »
    I'm getting a full dose of the Kevin Keegans here from reading this thread. I really would LOVE it if we beat them at the Bernabeu, even if we get hammered at OT, just to stun many bitter footie fans for a bit. I forgot that tomorrow's game will be like a cup final for many non Utd/RM fans as well.

On a somewhat related note, which maybe is a thread in itself, where is the actual evidence that the Premier League has declined in the last x amount of years? This is always a stick used to beat Utd with mainly by fans of non-achieving teams. It's kind of like saying "Sure why would we want to win it anyway? It's no good."

There's little doubt that La Liga is currently superior to the EPL and Utd's underdog status is definitely warranted, but to have the result decided upon before a ball is kicked is logic that I can't grasp, and no it isn't 'common sense'.

Anyway, roll on tomorrow night, it could be disappointing for us but nights like this is what it's all about.

I don't think anybody has, nor can, decide the result for certain. However anybody with the resources available can acquire an in-depth knowledge of both sides, recollect on both sides recent history of meetings against big teams, take into account the current climate of both clubs and then make a judgement.

A lot of non Man Utd fans have done exactly this and then given the opinion that they believe that Madrid will win the game, many have also offered up reasons as to why they believe this will happen. I too believe Madrid will beat Man Utd over two legs, but nobody has decided that will happen, it is merely an opinion, the majority opinion yes, but still only an opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Positively salivating waiting for this game. It has absolutely everything you could want from a game of football, both on and off the pitch (given the history between the two clubs and between the respective managers). Two true giants of European football. Two teams who have had large, often unbroken, streaks of being the top team in their country over the years.

Even if United lost tomorrow night, I feel they will score at least once or twice. I think that over two legs, United will do Madrid. Coming to Old Trafford is daunting for any team, history or no.

A cracker of a tie. Here's hoping it lives up to it!

Also, that home-made promo vid sent shivers down my spine and made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. So epic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

As a neutral I can't wait for this to be honest.

The RTE panel should be some craic too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,986 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Its a big game for sure but I'm very tempted to watch the other game. Shaktar against Dortmund really looks certain to be a cracker whereas there is always the possibility that this one is a real careful game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

You should definitely watch that one EE, its what the purist, the real fan would do. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Been waiting so long for this. Almost time. I think we can do it.

Believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

gosplan wrote: »
    It shouldn't be very good though. Granada showed how to beat Real on the weekend and Fergie would be a fool to take them on where they're stronger. Park the bus for the away leg!! Park it - then clamp it!

Utd will more than likely score at least one so there's no need to turn it into a game of football.

Play Smalling instead of Rafa and Valencia in front of him. Fit Jones beside Carrick in midfield. Could Rooney play LMF? If so, play him there with Cleverly behind RVP. De Gea will look like a genius stopping all the shots from distance.

Smalling - Evans - Vidic - Evra
    Valencia - Jones - Carrick - Rooney
    Cleverly
    RVP

Rafael is our best RB by some miles. Don't remember the last good game Smalling had as RB. Jones is better option than him at RB too. Playing Smalling instead of Rafael makes no sense.

I think team will be more or less same but with Rafael as RB and Cleverley in deeper role.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

Team I'd like to see:
    DDG
    Rafael Evans Vidic Evra

Carrick
    Anderson Cleverley

Kagawa
    Rooney RVP

Team I think SAF will pick:

DDG
    Rafael Rio Vidic Evra

Carrick Cleverley
    Valencia Nani

Rooney

RVP

Prediction: 2-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

This is what the being a United fan is all about. Big hype, big players, big stage, two great managers etc etc. I’m a mix of worried, hopeful and excited.

Thank god I didn’t give up the grog for lent!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Starie1975 wrote: »
    This is what the being a United fan is all about. Big hype, big players, big stage, two great managers etc etc. I’m a mix of worried, hopeful and excited.

Exactly!! Wait, you are talking about Newcastle United V Metalist Kharkiv right?

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

eagle eye wrote: »
    Its a big game for sure but I'm very tempted to watch the other game. Shaktar against Dortmund really looks certain to be a cracker whereas there is always the possibility that this one is a real careful game.

Football hipster!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

analyzing the teams Alex has put out in away ties against the big teams over the years, it's ALWAYS been conservative with the aim to come away with the following score, 1-0, 1-1, 0-1 any of these scores would be sufficient away to Madrid, obviously hoping it won't be the 1st but I'd be confident of united beating anyone at Old Trafford, especially a Real team that have not travelled well bot domestically and in European competition this year.

I expect us to line up as the following.

Raf
    Evans
    Vidic
    EVRA

Val
    Carrick
    Clev
    Wellbeck/Nani

Rooney

RVP

The reason I have wellbeck there and not Nani is Alex will be going to nullify madrid not beat them, wellbeck offers greater protection and a higher work rate across the pitch than Nani does. (Nani will start in the home tie)

Again Valencia, even though in SHOCKING form offers protection against Ronaldo.

I expect wayne to drop alongside clev and carrick to fall back protecting both midfield and defense when we don't have the ball.

You could put Jones in for Wellbeck/Nani, pull rooney to the left and use jones as part of the 3 in the middle, but I think having wayne on the left will render the work and retention he does in the middle useless.

All in all, I expect a cagey game, with madrid coming out fast and hard for the 1st 20 if we can sustain them and silence the crowd in the 1st 20/30 anything can happen.

Madrid are VERY good at getting the ball to Alonso who can spray it to Ronaldo, Ozil and Di Maria for quick counters but watching them last week they did struggle to beat a poor poor team who parked the bus.

CANT ****ING WAIT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I've got training myself tonight so it's a Sky+ job for me... :(

Just finalised the half day in work to get off for the game! Delighted!

I can't see any other line up other than

Val ---- Clev -- Carrick -- Jones ---- Rooney

for the midfield. Fergie had been hinting that he wants Jones to do the job he has been in recent games, a job he has done very well. I understand doing that job on Ronaldo is a different story but ya never know..

Cannot wait for later.

Predict 2-1 Madrid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Can't wait for this game. Should be a cracker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Love this picture!!

536939_10151331387997880_938895271_n.jpg

Getting nervous now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

The hype around this match is incredible, I really do love the Champions League.

Only gonna get to see a bit of the first half though :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Have 3-1 Madrid lodged into my head for the last week, hope I'm wrong. Should be a cracker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Ce sont les meilleures équipes
    Es sind die allerbesten Mannschaften
    The main event

Die Meister
    Die Besten
    Les grandes équipes
    The champions!

Starting to get giddy here and just under 3 hours of "work" left.

Prediction:
    0-0 half time
    0-1 full time RVP '83

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

/ C R I N G E

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

United are far from "David" if Madrid are "Goliath".

baz2009 wrote: »
    United are far from "David" if Madrid are "Goliath".

Exactly united are one of the guys goliath easily killed that aren't even named.

Edit- let me just add a bit so it doesn't come across as flaming, i can't wait for this game, its a real block buster, Ronaldo back to the club that made him, the champions vs the epl losers, players like Rooney and RVP to try make names for themselves amongst the European elite, this game has everything but for united fans to think the have a chance is just delusional!

• Advertisement
Advertisement