Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psychometric test hell

Options
  • 11-02-2013 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I just had a massive disappointment. I went for an interview and did well so they asked me to do an online psychometric test. I am absolutley useless at these types of tests and I bottled it completely. I only did the first one and couldn't complete the rest. I have a complete mental block about them. There are usually two types of tests; verbal and numerical. The verbal I am not too bad at but I just cannot do the numerical. I am terrible at maths. Some of the tests are things like comparing sales graphs for two years of different products and asked to see which year is the highest. Obviously there is a time limit so that makes it worse.
    I feel humiliated and embarrassed with myself.
    The sickening thing is I am fairly sure it cost me the job because I had it in the bag only for that. There was only one other person in the running, I would have had to do another interview but that was only a formality I would say.
    This is the second time I have flunked one of these tests (the first time I did one I just panicked and guessed most of the answers). That was about six months ago so I know I should have practised them after that but I just didn't. I suppose I just hoped that the next interview I went for would not have that as part of it.
    Sadly a lot of them do in the type of job I go for (I don't want to say what that is).
    Fortunatley I am in a job but the pay in the one I had the test in was a lot better.
    I know I could practise them but these type of tests are all different and there are so many of them out there on the 'net.
    I have nobody to blame but myself. I just had to tell someone.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Practice does make a huge amount of difference in these tests, they might be different but all the time you practice you are bettering the skills that you have in doing them and it will be to your advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

lenny_01 wrote: »
    I... but I just cannot do the numerical. I am terrible at maths. ...
    Sadly a lot of them do in the type of job I go for (I don't want to say what that is).

Don't wanna sound negative ... but if you are terrible at maths, then should you really be going for jobs that require you to demonstrate that you are good at maths?

Maybe as well as practising the test-taking, you should also work on the maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Don't wanna sound negative ... but if you are terrible at maths, then should you really be going for jobs that require you to demonstrate that you are good at maths?
    You are right, although in this case I didn't know I was going to be asked to do a numeracy test until after the initial interview. I am thinking of moving out of the area I am in and going into something that would make it easier for me to get a job (a better job that is)
    Maybe as well as practising the test-taking, you should also work on the maths.
    Yes, I will try but it's hard to find the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Psychometric tests are often to test how your brain works, to see if you'll "fit" into their team. Pop into Easosns and get a few booklets that tell you how to pass these things, and you'll be able to get around your fear of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Yes, I will try but it's hard to find the time.

Time is always hard to find but for a new job I am sure it would be a priority to find time to do this. It has potentially cost you a job and would assess why you consider this task hard to find time for!

• Advertisement

chris85 wrote: »
    Time is always hard to find but for a new job I am sure it would be a priority to find time to do this. It has potentially cost you a job and would assess why you consider this task hard to find time for!
    That's true. When I messed up the first one I kind of blew it off and said "Oh most places won't ask one of those kind of tests" but now it's happened again so I know I really need to learn how to do them. I am sceptical though if one can actually "learn" how to do them as these tests by their nature are random and unpredictable (it's not like memorizing a poem).
    I am not too lazy to do it, it's more a fear than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

That's true. When I messed up the first one I kind of blew it off and said "Oh most places won't ask one of those kind of tests" but now it's happened again so I know I really need to learn how to do them. I am sceptical though if one can actually "learn" how to do them as these tests by their nature are random and unpredictable (it's not like memorizing a poem).
    I am not too lazy to do it, it's more a fear than anything else.

From my experience they are far from random. Many companies will just same tests from same company. I have done the same test with id say 3 companies over the last number of years. also after practicing them you will develop how to tackle similar but different tests in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 niall300

Had exactly the same experience, came away feeling sickened and very stupid. I was just wondering did you have any luck improving and could anybody recommend a good place to study these.

cheers
    niall

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

You could always brush up on Mathematics. It wasn't my best in school and I do an awful lot of self study these days out of interest or when the job requires it. The tests can always be practiced online also. So the more you do, they more confident with them you'll become.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Worth signing up to the GradIreland website (no matter what age you are).

Their careers report section has a bunch of psychometric tests which you can practice on.

https://gradireland.com/careers-report

• Advertisement

niall300 wrote: »
    Had exactly the same experience, came away feeling sickened and very stupid. I was just wondering did you have any luck improving and could anybody recommend a good place to study these.

cheers
    niall

I bought a book and practised but I haven't got any better at them really. In hindsight I am glad I didn't get the job I posted about as it wasn't a good job but I am still fed up that I couldn't do the test. Since then I have managed to get a job that didn't require me to pass this type of test but there is very little long-term security in it. It's a big help to be good at these types of tests but I think it is the kind of thing some people are naturally good at it and it can't be "learnt".

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

if your numeracy skills are low then you need to work on improving them. Unless you have a brain condition (dyscalculia, the numerical equivalent of dyslexia), then 'I am not good at maths' does not cut it. it may be that you opted out of maths or you had poor teaching, but numerical ability can be improved, and if your progress depends on better numeracy then you should make it your business to work on it.

The tests are far from random, and you can certainly prepare for them, but the numeracy improvement needs to be tackled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Those tests are available to do online - why not get comfortable doing them at home to gain confidence.

Everything can be learnt through practice and experience... it's just a matter of technique and learning what they are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I would be wary about books that help you to get past a test that the company believes is a good indicator of how you will do in the job.
    There is a high likelyhood that you will "fake " your way into a job you cannot do and will not succeed in.
    You spend a large % of your time in work , the stress of failing/struggling in this new job is rarely worth the money on offer.

Much better to find a job you can excel in and you will enjoy doing.

Advertisement