Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic v Juventus 7.45 TV3

• 11-02-2013 5:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭

Looking forward to this one tomorrow. This leg is going to be difficult for Juve, but I'm fairly confident they can do it over the two legs.

Probable Juve line up:
    Buffon
    Barzagli Bonucci Caceres
    Lichtsteiner Vidal Pirlo Marchisio Peluso
    Matri Vucinic

Chiellini and De Ceglie are out injured.
    Kwadwo Asamoah could play left wing-back instead of Peluso, but he has just flown back from the Cup of Nations.
    Giovinco might start instead of one of the strikers, but I hope not.

I'm not going to pretend to know enough about Celtic to predict their team. I believe Samaras will be fit though?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

I'm not going to pretend to know enough about Celtic to predict their team. I believe Samaras will be fit though?
    He trained today apparently.

Line up could be
    Forster
    Lustig Wilson Mulgrew Matthews
    Forrest Brown Wanyama Ledley
    Hooper Samaras
    Or Izaguirre at left-back and Matthews on the right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

It hard to call celtics line-up, Commons could well be in there at the expense of Forrest.
    Its going to be an interesting match up and I really hope the hoops can pull something off here!
    Though Juve are expected to take this round!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Could see Ambrose being involved. Hes travelling back and meets the squad tomorrow.

Regarding Juve, Pogba could be involved?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

spiralism wrote: »
    Regarding Juve, Pogba could be involved?
    Nah, he doesn't start as long as Marchisio, Pirlo and Vidal are fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

That Celtic side not going to get enough possession to pose Juve problems tomorrow.

0-1 and Juve to control game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Juve for me too. Think Celtic may have run out of lives for this one especially now these games are over 2 legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭seriousfizz

Kwadwo Asamoah could play left wing-back instead of Peluso, but he has just flown back from the Cup of Nations.
    Giovinco might start instead of one of the strikers, but I hope not.

Would love to see Asamoah start. Probably a long shot, though. And I'll be keeping all my fingers crossed in the hope that Giovinco doesn't start; I fear he will, though.

Would love to see Asamoah start. Probably a long shot, though. And I'll be keeping all my fingers crossed in the hope that Giovinco doesn't start; I fear he will, though.

Yeah, a left side of Peluso and Caceres would be a potential weakness alright. It'd be good to have Asamoah in there if he's ready.

I have the same fear about Giovinco, but I hope the performance against Fiorentina will be enough to convince Conte to stick with Matri and Vucinic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Juve trained at Rangers training ground:

"If they want to prepare at a Division Three training ground, let them get on with it" - Celtic's Kris Commons

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Ah well I think(hope)Celtic will come from behind - 2-1 if they are very, very lucky:)

• Advertisement

I reckon it'll be 1-1 tomorrow and 2-0 to Juve in Turin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

I reckon it will be very close over the two legs I could see a draw at Parkhead and a one goal winning margin to Juventus over there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

Will they play the same formation as they did vs Barcelona? That'd be interesting to see that method up against a 352.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

I reckon it'll be 1-1 tomorrow and 2-0 to Juve in Turin.

Agree with this. Caceres = uhoh, but Juventus have got so much quality that they should go through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,316 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

For those with STV coverage, Henrik Larsson and David Moyes are doing the TV punditry

'Henrik Larsson and David Moyes are to make their return to Celtic as part of STV’s coverage of the club’s Champions League last 16 tie with Juventus.'

http://sport.stv.tv/football/212786-henrik-larsson-and-david-moyes-join-stv-for-celtic-v-juventus-coverage/

Asamoah is definitely out.

Conte: “Kwadwo returned yesterday and it would be asking too much of him to play after being away for a month and a half. He’ll train and will be ready for Saturday’s game against Roma.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

The tactics worked a treat in those two Barcelona ties. Celtic flooded the middle, pushed Barca out wide, kept possession well and hit them on the break regularly, and were excellent at set pieces.

Juventus are a different fish. Lenny might have to come up with something unusual for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Thecon21

Hoping it's a great battle. Can see Celtic having a good start but for Juve to take control. Expecting 1-3 Juventus.

Good luck to Celtic though! Fingers crossed!

Thecon21 wrote: »
    Hoping it's a great battle. Can see Celtic having a good start but for Juve to take control. Expecting 1-3 Juventus.

Good luck to Celtic though! Fingers crossed!

I can't see there being that many goals. I'd say it'll be tight.

I can't see there being that many goals. I'd say it'll be tight.

If you're in Galway tomorrow night, Monroe's will be a good spot to watch the match.;)

• Advertisement

BC1vTyZCAAAwLKK.jpg

They do a good pizza there in Monroe's as well:D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Not knowing much about Juve, I'm not going to try a prediction, but am hoping for a home win of course. Entirely possible if we play like we can and have the rub of the green. I think every Celtic fan would be realistic about our chances of progress over the two legs - getting out of a CL group with Barca, Benfica and Spartak Moscow is an impressive feat for a Scottish side lets face it - but at the same time, Celtic have nothing to fear, and Parkhead seems to be reverting to a very difficult place for other sides to come to again, as it was in the past.

As always with Celtic in European games, it's all about keeping the head for the first while - if they manage that, it will be very tight - but if they do the whole concede within 5 minutes bit we've seen in the past, then it really is game over I fear. I'm hoping the confidence will not be a problem after plenty of games between the qualifiers and group stages.

Need our key players to be at their very best. I'm delighted that Sammy looks to be fit, he is a huge player in these games, it's a shame though that he won't be 100% (as with Izzy and Ambrose if he's included). Would love to see Hooper get a couple in what will more than likely be his last couple of CL games in the hoops.

After what Amoruso did to us the last time I'd love them to get f'ed over by a big decision, but given our record with them - and that Platini has already said Juventus are in the quarter-finals, I've a feeling if there is one it will be against us!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Like Paulo I don't know enough about Juve to make a prediction but I think if Lennon gets his tactics right we capable of giving anyone a game at home. Hopefully we can avoid making any stupid mistakes and keep the tie alive going into the second leg.

Giving a decent account of ourselves in the last 16 would mark great progress for us this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

ive seen alot of Juve this season
    there a very good team but lacking up front
    they do puch alot of players forward & can be got at on the counter
    would be great if Samaras is fit for the game
    i can see the 1st leg being a 0-0 or 1-1

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭steirishrover

If Celtic get to half time not losing then anything can happen. I could see Lennon being happy with a draw. Raging I going to miss it with work but will be checking on the phone

I'll go for 0-0 & a bold 1-1 in Turin to put the celts through. Sneaky feeling on this one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

10-0 Juve, stroll in the park.

After what happened last time, the Celtic fans can thank me after ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Score draw in Glasgow and Juventus to win by 2 in Turin to go through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

This could be the ideal circumstance for Giovinco. Tiny, with fast feet versus big defenders, winning free kicks. Maybe start Giaccherini instead of Peluso?

I can see celtic winning this through set pieces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheBuilder

Score draw tonight and a Juve win in Turin. Depending on what defence turns up for Celtic tonight that is.

Is Ambrose back?
    Cienciano wrote: »
    Juve trained at Rangers training ground:

"If they want to prepare at a Division Three training ground, let them get on with it" - Celtic's Kris Commons

Yeah, best training complex in the country Kris :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭Certified

Celtic 0-2 Juve. Sorry Bhoys but why did ye have to get picked out with Juve! Celtic are one of the teams who most deserve to be in the last sixteen and I wish them luck but on this occasion for me it has to be Forza Juve!
    I'm especially confident now, as it has been confirmed that Matri was spotted buying new yellow laces for his boots in Glasgow this morning.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I think Celtic need to win tonight to go through. They'll need to keep it tight and hope to keep a clean sheet and nick one at the other end at some point. Away goal for Juve and they're in big trouble.

mitosis wrote: »
    This could be the ideal circumstance for Giovinco. Tiny, with fast feet versus big defenders, winning free kicks. Maybe start Giaccherini instead of Peluso?

I can see celtic winning this through set pieces.

I don't think there are any ideal circumstances for Giovinco. He's just not very good.

I think Peluso's height will be handy in defence. Plus he's a better defender than Giaccherini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Really looking forward to it now, day is crawling by. Not too confident if im being honest. Think we really need Samaras to start. Fingers crossed. Hail Hail!!

Izaguirre, Samaras, Forrest and Ambrose are all in the squad, although this doesn't mean they'll be starting or even playing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Italian clubs have never beaten Celtic at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Izaguirre, Samaras, Forrest and Ambrose are all in the squad, although this doesn't mean they'll be starting or even playing.
    I'd say Ambrose probably will start but as Toure showed at the weekend players could probably do with a week or 2 off after the tournament.

Italian clubs have never beaten Celtic at home.
    Most clubs have never beaten Celtic at home tbh, but these statistics mean little as it's the 22 players today that will influence it.
    Liam O wrote: »
    I'd say Ambrose probably will start but as Toure showed at the weekend players could probably do with a week or 2 off after the tournament.
    I'd be surprised if he did. Lennon loves Mulgrew, and Wilson has done well this season so I don't think he'll mind picking those two. I think Ambrose might come on later on, if needs be.

Then again he might put Mulgew in centre/left mid :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Celtic will take something out of this game tonight and go out by the odd goal over 2 legs.
    I highly doubt it will be the walkover that some are suggesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭The Internet

I don't think there are any ideal circumstances for Giovinco. He's just not very good.

I think Peluso's height will be handy in defence. Plus he's a better defender than Giaccherini.

Giovinco was brilliant last year for Parma but he'll never be good enough for Juventus, he doesn't get any space with the ball and has no composure what so ever when through on goal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Juve to win handy enough tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Anyone know when Ambrose arrived back in Glasgow? If it was reasonably early yesterday I'd be tempted to start him, Mulgrew and Wilson together doesn't inspire confidence. Having said that I think Mulgrew needs to start as his set-piece delivery could make all the difference but he's not up to the task in midfield IMO so might be better at CB.

At this stage I just want the game to start so I can stop over-thinking it and begin to enjoy it(I hope)

I'd be surprised if he did. Lennon loves Mulgrew, and Wilson has done well this season so I don't think he'll mind picking those two. I think Ambrose might come on later on, if needs be.

Then again he might put Mulgew in centre/left mid :rolleyes:

Mulgrew will play anyway. His ability at delivering good quality corners and free kicks into the box, means he's guaranteed a start. I'd say he'll play in midfield or left back.

Can't wait for this one, it's been a long day waiting for kick off to arrive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Can easily see Celtic getting a result tonight but it'll be smash time in the return leg at Turin. But 1-1 tonight imo.

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Can easily see Celtic getting a result tonight but it'll be smash time in the return leg at Turin. But 1-1 tonight imo.

Wouldn't say 1-1 would be a great result for Celtic straight away Juventus have an away goal

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Wouldn't say 1-1 would be a great result for Celtic straight away Juventus have an away goal

Agreed. 1-1 tonight would be a bad result for Celtic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

Couldn't be itching for a game more, I'm actually nervous for them at this stage!
    Come on d Hoops!
    Really don't know what to call on this game, with celtic, anything can happen....which can be as good as it is bad.....

Looking at it objectively with no emotion attached, I think Celtic will win:).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Well done.

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Well done.

Wow your sarcasm needs worked on. Or do you really believe a 1-1 draw is a good result for them

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement