Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic v Juventus 7.45 TV3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

BC7kd1jCQAARDUn.jpg

Arms outstretched to stop Hooper going around... happened half a dozen times yet the ref bottled it

Lustig getting stripped by the Juve player... nothing

Brown rugby tackled in the box

Arms out stretched is not against the rules, its showing the ref, I aint doing any holding here.

How many games of football have you watched?

Regarding shirt pulling in the box, yes its wrong, but every team does it, Celtic did on barca, barcelona does on some one else!!

You cant have it one way and not the other.

Celtic did great to get this far considering they only play a handful of serious football games, not their fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,316 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

How many games of football have you watched?

10,000 - you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

10,000 - you?

So going by your profile you have watched 238 games every year since you were born?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I think Hooper is used to being able to bully defenders and goalkeepers week in week out from Ross County and Dundee. Yesterday he was up against a keeper and defence that were well onto his tricks and refused to be bullied.
    By the letter of the law going by that photo Celtic should of got a Peno.

Thats dragging a player shirt.

100% peno.
    You could get 100 still shots of "100% peno" pictures in favour of either team. What went on before the shirt pull? Was the juve player pushed? Was the ball even in play? You could have a shot of pirlo putting the ball down for a free kick claming a hand ball. You need to see the entire video of the incident in order to make a claim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Cienciano wrote: »
    I think Hooper is used to being able to bully defenders and goalkeepers week in week out from Ross County and Dundee. Yesterday he was up against a keeper and defence that were well onto his tricks and refused to be bullied.

You could get 100 still shots of "100% peno" pictures in favour of either team. What went on before the shirt pull? Was the juve player pushed? Was the ball even in play? You could have a shot of pirlo putting the ball down for a free kick claming a hand ball. You need to see the entire video of the incident in order to make a claim.

True, but from that picture alone its more then just a pull of the shirt.

It goes on too, I know that and I dont think every bit of contact is penalty, but there is giving a nudge and then there is blatant Penalty shouts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheBuilder

BC7kd1jCQAARDUn.jpg

Arms outstretched to stop Hooper going around... happened half a dozen times yet the ref bottled it

Lustig getting stripped by the Juve player... nothing

Brown rugby tackled in the box

Standing with your arms outstretched is a foul?

TheBuilder wrote: »
    If a celtic player pushes a juve player, it's not a foul. Celtic player has his arms around a juve player, it's not a foul. It's the juve player having the cheek of getting in the way of the celtic player, who has the right to walk through him.
    Any contact from a juve player to a celtic player is a peno. Thats how it works!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

lichtsteinerdive.gif
    That's embarrassing.

Cienciano, your posts are getting tedious at this point. There were 1 or 2 really really obvious penalties, especially the one straight after Padoin got booked.

I have to laugh at how people 'aren't complaining about the result', but are in the same posts complaining about how it could be different if the ref had given a penalty in one of these instances, posters are calling the ref a cheat, calling organisations biased, comparing them to rugby tackles and American football tackles. That is complaining about the result.

Why not look at your own manager, he made an ridiculous decision to play Ambrose after he's been in Africa for a month and had literally just stepped off a plane and resulted in causing a couple of goals. It's all well and good Ambrose saying he felt good, of course he's going to say that, it's the champions league last 16.

Common's comments after the game targeting his own players, particularly Ambrose are also a disgrace, you don't publicly slam team mates to the media. He's developing one hell of a mouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

AdamD wrote: »
    lichtsteinerdive.gif
    That's embarrassing.

Cienciano, your posts are getting tedious at this point. There were 1 or 2 really really obvious penalties, especially the one straight after Padoin got booked.

And the defender goes down "injured" after he realises what he's done. Now that's ****ing embarrassing.

• Advertisement

lichtsteinerdive.gif
    That's embarrassing.

It really is, what a theatrical fall by Brown.

He's standing on the defenders foot, is that not a foul?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Lichtsteiner should get a 5 match ban for the above incident anyway. I'm done trying to convince people that standing with your arms outstretched and moving so a player can't get past you when the ball is out of play and then grabbing him and not letting him move when the ball is in play should be against the rules. The booking of Hooper was a ridiculous decision and a complete bottle job from the ref.

lichtsteinerdive.gif
    That's embarrassing.

Also, if you want to get technical about it, at that point the ball isn't in play so the ref can't give a foul. He can do something about Lichtsteiner obviously but unless the corner had been taken it is not a penalty.

But Brown stands on his foot, yellow card to him too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I didn't post that to highlight a penalty, that incident was embarrassing for both players. Jesus Christ the agendas some people have in this thread.

Five match ban? Come on, get the green tinted specs off and have a bit of common sense.

I didn't post that to highlight a penalty, that incident was embarrassing for both players. Jesus Christ the agendas some people have in this thread.

Fair point, my mistake.

My point is directed at the Celtic fans complaining about it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Cienciano wrote: »
    You could get 100 still shots of "100% peno" pictures in favour of either team.

I challenge you to even find one photo of a Juve penalty last night??

Can you actually see the bottom half of the picture? You do realise that Lustig's jersey came without the Italian arm attached to it??

Five match ban? Come on, get the green tinted specs off and have a bit of common sense.

lol you do irony very well, fair play :rolleyes:

lol you do irony very well, fair play :rolleyes:

Almost as well as Celtic fans do losing eh ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Has anyone suggested throwing Juventus out of the UCL yet?

Seems fair.

• Advertisement

1348694154940.jpg

'Honest ref, our arms are outstretched to show you we are not impeding the Celtic player'
    capturesdflasjdh.jpg

'I am making sure the Celtic player does not fall down the hole in the pitch'
    capturewerd.jpg

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Has anyone suggested throwing Juventus out of the UCL yet?

No although the ref should be thrown out

Almost as well as Celtic fans do losing eh ;)

Indeed, as a club with a winning mentality it abviously is diificult to accept defeat, I'm sure those Division 3 defeats hurt you bears aswell???

Fair point, my mistake.

My point is directed at the Celtic fans complaining about it though.

What Celtic fans have complained about that incidednt, doesn't seem to be showing up on my computer??

Like any builder Ive ever met you're full of it lad ;)

Indeed, as a club with a winning mentality it abviously is diificult to accept defeat, I'm sure those Division 3 defeats hurt you bears aswell???

Wondered how long it'd take for a division 3 jibe, maybe if Commons concentrated more on his football and not at making jibes about training grounds he might not have gave the ball away so much ;)

It was just the one defeat as well, was quite painful though as always.

What Celtic fans have complained about that incidednt, doesn't seem to be showing up on my computer??

Like any builder Ive ever met you're full of it lad ;)

You clearly haven't read earlier pages in the thread then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

No although the ref should be thrown out

Ref's in European games have a tendency to be a bit erratic, putting it mildly.

lichtsteinerdive.gif
    That's embarrassing.

Nice GIF, I have to point out that a celtic fan earlier in the thread described that Brown dive as a "rugby tackle".
    As for your obvious peno, go 18 seconds on this video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=b29pJKP8VSY#t=5s
    If you think that's a definite peno? It was a foul by Padoin? Are you getting the teams mixed up? Looked like a foul by Brown to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

Disappointing night. Don't really care about all the shoving and that in the box. The first goal conceded was unforgivable in a big match like that.

Sacramento wrote: »
    1348694154940.jpg
    That sums up the thread pretty much! Some (not all) celtic fans are looking for an excuse. I've yet to see any of these many stone wall penos posted up. This wasn't Chelsea Barca 2009.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

While I understand Celtic fans anger at the impediment that went on for their corners, I don't really have any sympathy with them.

Celtic don't mind getting physical in other parts of the field; in both matches against Barca they certainly cheered on any kick out at the Barca players.

If you want to play a physical game, no point complaining about it during corners either.

The game itself highlighted Celtic's over reliance for corners and free kicks to score.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

While I understand Celtic fans anger at the impediment that went on for their corners, I don't really have any sympathy with them.

Celtic don't mind getting physical in other parts of the field; in both matches against Barca they certainly cheered on any kick out at the Barca players.

If you want to play a physical game, no point complaining about it during corners either.

The game itself highlighted Celtic's over reliance for corners and free kicks to score.

I don't remember any persistent fouling against Barca, could you remind me? And I don't remember any definite yellow card incidents that went unpunished either, maybe you could let me know? Barca got a card more in each match.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

lichtsteinerdive.gif
    That's embarrassing.

Be honest with yourself - reverse the shirts in this situation, would you cry about diving or making the most of it and calling that embarrassing?
    Well not you necessarily, but the people crying about this thing after you posted. "5 match ban" etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

• Advertisement

PauloMN wrote: »
    I don't remember any persistent fouling against Barca, could you remind me? And I don't remember any definite yellow card incidents that went unpunished either, maybe you could let me know? Barca got a card more in each match.

I didn't say there was persistent fouling or yellow cards that were unpunished.

Celtic got stuck in and left the leg in a few times. Nothing bad or serious, just quite physical play with a few jersey pulls also in the mix; same as Juve last night.

The Padoin holding thing was the only bit that really stood out as something the ref could have, but often won't, call.
    There is no moral righteousness to be had by Celtic however, there were many blatant dives in the box. If Juve had been up to all that, you would be still moaning about those, anti-football whatever yawn.

I would hope that the moderators would tackle these "typical italian" bull****ters, especially those who already moan beforehand like in this thread. Calling for "typical Italian 20 minutes of timewasting". Which ends up being "typical Italian 20 minutes of goal scoring".

One thing to note too, those who post pics and "ironically" claim that this and this should be a 5 match ban, or post pics without making an argument - how do you think we should recognize your irony from others being similarly OTT with total seriousness. If you don't make sincere arguments, you can be sure they will be misinterpreted when there are people calling outstretched arms fouls.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I didn't say there was persistent fouling or yellow cards that were unpunished.

Celtic got stuck in and left the leg in a few times. Nothing bad or serious, just quite physical play with a few jersey pulls also in the mix; same as Juve last night.

I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to compare, but what I saw last night was persistent fouling in the box by Lichtsteiner and others. It went unpunished by the ref after he dished yellow cards to both players. I didn't see anything that warranted a yellow for Hooper, but that's another story. What I did see what Lichtsteiner continue with the man-handling of Hooper right in front of the ref after being warned about it.

I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to compare, but what I saw last night was persistent fouling in the box by Lichtsteiner and others. It went unpunished by the ref after he dished yellow cards to both players. I didn't see anything that warranted a yellow for Hooper, but that's another story. What I did see what Lichtsteiner continue with the man-handling of Hooper right in front of the ref after being warned about it.

Comparing physical play by both teams that the ref could have called as fouls, but didn't.

I agree that Lichtsteiner could easily have conceded a penalty, and the game might be better if refs called fouls in those situations.
    I just have little sympathy for Celtic when they approach other aspects of the game in a physical way that could have fouls called against them.

The better team won anyway.

Comparing physical play by both teams that the ref could have called as fouls, but didn't.

I agree that Lichtsteiner could easily have conceded a penalty, and the game might be better if refs called fouls in those situations.
    I just have little sympathy for Celtic when they approach other aspects of the game in a physical way that could have fouls called against them.

The better team won anyway.

I don't remember any discussion after either Barca match in relation to fouls from Celtic that went unpunished. Seriously, there's nothing to compare against.

The better team did win. I don't think anyone here has denied that.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

I don't remember any discussion after either Barca match in relation to fouls from Celtic that went unpunished. Seriously, there's nothing to compare against.
    He must be getting confused with the incidents where Song and Mascherano should both have been sent off.
    The better team did win. I don't think anyone here has denied that.
    It seems no matter how many times this is said by no matter how many Celtic fans on here, we still have to listen to people pretending we are making excuses.

Like I said, anyone arguing with these people is making themselves look rather silly. Just leave them to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

lichtsteinerdive.gif
    That's embarrassing.

Hmm, the Celtic player clearly stamped his opponent off the ball. Could have been sent off for that. But wasn't.

Seriously, there's nothing to compare against.

Couldn't disagree with you more.
    But I can understand if you seriously didn't see it, much like the ref didn't see any penalty decisions last night.

He must be getting confused with the incidents where Song and Mascherano should both have been sent off.

No.
    It seems no matter how many times this is said by no matter how many Celtic fans on here, we still have to listen to people pretending we are making excuses.

I never said that fans were making excuses, there's no excuse to make when you lose 3:0 at home.
    My comments we only based on the penalty appeals, which I already said I can understand, but have little sympathy for when Celtic have a more physical approach to the game themselves.

My comments we only based on the penalty appeals, which I already said I can understand, but have little sympathy for when Celtic have a more physical approach to the game themselves.
    There is nothing wrong with a physical approach that is within the rules of the game.

It appears that Juve have mastered all aspects now though. For years Italian sides were renowned for diving and play acting and generally being massive girls, but now they've combined it with wrestling, bullyboy tactics. Manhandle the opposition and then go down like a sack of spuds when they do it to you. Best of both worlds and very effective as we can see.

My only complaint is that I did not think it necessary to resort to that against a team with a tenth of your budget. I look forward to them doing it to someone else though, will be very entertaining especially when I get to tell their fans that there's nothing wrong with it :P

Manhandle the opposition and then go down like a sack of spuds when they do it to you.
    Hmm...like this?
    lichtsteinerdive.gif

snowblind wrote: »
    Hmm...like this?
    lichtsteinerdive.gif
    Two good examples of it there, yes. You'd think Brown would have been able to come up with something better after watching the Italians do it all game though.

There is nothing wrong with a physical approach that is within the rules of the game.
    I don't disagree with you.
    It appears that Juve have mastered all aspects now though.
    I think a different ref could easily have given a penalty though.
    My only complaint is that I did not think it necessary to resort to that against a team with a tenth of your budget.
    Budget has nothing to do with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 755 ✭✭✭sea_monkey

you can see the celtic player stand on the juve players foot thats why he reacted like that.

it was a good game, celtic just had nothing up front. once they got to the 25 yard mark they had no ideas.

looks very frustrating to play for celtic, their forwards just stand still with no movement at all, that coupled with the defensive errors cost them the match.

juve had that extra bit of class to finish off their attacks.

Budget has nothing to do with it.
    Perhaps you haven't been following football for very long then.

A team assembled with ten times the money as their opponent should not have to resort to cheating. Juve would have won 3-1 or 3-2 without it, and would have done the same in Turin. This thread would just be comments about how good a side they are and how they deserve to be in the quarter finals. Instead it's comments about how good a side they are, and how they are pathetic cheats to boot.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement